Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between White rice and potatoes? page

donnie86 is offline Junior Member

Difference between White rice and potatoes?

Shop Now
    Why would someone be ok with peeled white or sweet potato, but not with boiled white rice? There must be some difference in the composition of the starch that can cause irritation because i would have thought most of their antinutrients are inconsequential. Perhaps something in the rice protein but im guessing its the starch. Perhaps just the quantity of starch? Any ideas

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal is theoretically anti-grain, and rice is a grain. Whole grains have more anti-nutrients than refined grains, but they also have more nutrients, so the other argument is that potatoes are more nutrient dense (which they are). I think another argument is they're too high glycemic, if you're into that sort of thing. I eat white rice.

Hi, thanks, but that doesnt really explain why someone would be ok with potato and not rice?

Timthetaco Guest
    It doesn't? Those are the common arguments I see. A lot of people consider it a "safe starch".

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Tubers can have high potassium, carotene, and a little protein which makes them "first choice" carbs. White rice lacks these but contains nothing offensive either (after cooking). The only reason to avoid rice would be if one is doing VLC but otherwise I view potato and rice as interchangeable depending on the cuisine, e.g. roast beef and cabbage = potato; stir fry or curry = rice.

Quantity is not really different. H2O fraction of baked potato is about 65%, boiled potato 80%, cooked rice 70%. I consider a serving to be 1 medium tuber or 4 tablespoons raw rice (+1/2c water).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how much of a perfectionist you are, too.

KestrelSF is online now Senior Member
    From what I've read from folks on the subject of "safe starches" the main thing you should be concerned about is does the starch have any toxins. From that standpoint, rice should be just as good a choice as peeled potatoes. Folks will argue that potatoes are a better choice because they have other nutrients compared to the nutrients in rice so while it may not be a "bad" choice if you are wanting to get some carbs in your diet something with more nutrient density might be more betterer.

My take on the matter is that sushi doesn't usually come wrapped in mashed potatoes and sushi is ducking delicious.

I don't see why one should be overly worried about rice or potatoes, why not enjoy both in reasonable quantities?
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Thanks again for all the answers. I cant see there being any major difference either, but for some reason i react to rice FAR more than i do potatoes. Thats the reason i asked. It must just be a sensitivity to starch and rice often has more per gram of weight so perhaps that is the reason.

KestrelSF is online now Senior Member
    Donnie, can you tell us what sort of reaction you have? I'm always interested to hear other people's experiences with their n=1 experimenting. (I think that's the best part about these forums, cause lord knows we can all argue about stuff ad naseum)
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have heard of rice intolerance. People who are intolerant to gluten are often intolerant to other grains, too. I'm okay with rice, but my intolerance to corn, oats, and buckwheat means I don't bother with most grains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast