Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference between White rice and potatoes? page 2

donnie86 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Maybe it is a specific intolerance to grains. Im not sure what component of the white rice it would be if that were the case.

Im fine with meats and veges but they have to cooked properly otherwise i struggle to digest well. Im also fine with fruit but im afraid if i eat too much that will also cause me other problems. Dairy makes me SO sick! I react immediately to grains and nuts also. As mentioned, I even reacted to white rice although nowhere near as bad as whole grains or nuts. Potatoes i react less too if at all. I normally only eat potatoes post workout so sometimes the exercise pump and fatigue can cover the symptoms/discomfort if that makes sense. I might try a big potatoe tommorrow during the day just to see how i go. Perhaps it is just all starch's fault...

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Do both! In my post workout main meal for the day, I usually eat two white potatoes, half cup of rice and a green banana. Very good for recuperation after training...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 05-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat American white potatoes because they are a nightshade and not of the potato family. If I want a non-primal starch I have some white rice, but not often.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Omni is offline Senior Member
    All common potato's are from the nightshade family, as ar tomatos, peppers & eggplant.
    Sweet potato's are the tuber of a rambling vine and are from a different family.

It may be the different types of lectins present which cause your differing symptoms or the other factor may be the difference between cellular (potato) & acellular (grains) carbs.
    The cellular carbs are absorbed slower because the body still needs to break down cell walls before starch is fully released.

donnie86 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    All common potato's are from the nightshade family, as ar tomatos, peppers & eggplant.
    Sweet potato's are the tuber of a rambling vine and are from a different family.

It may be the different types of lectins present which cause your differing symptoms or the other factor may be the difference between cellular (potato) & acellular (grains) carbs.
    The cellular carbs are absorbed slower because the body still needs to break down cell walls before starch is fully released.
    Im pretty sure its something to do with the composition of the starch, the rate and ease in which its digested, and the amount. It cant really be about anti-nutrients because they are pretty much cooked out; and it cant really be about the proteins because there is so little protein.

I read that cooking sweet potatoes alters the starch so in that perhaps lies the answer to my question. Id be really interested in more information about creating more accessible starch and minimizing the stress the body goes through to digest it. Perhaps i just need more healthy bacteria and amylase, but perhaps the CHOICE of starch and its preparation is more important. Perhaps sprouted and fermented grains like oats would actually be even more beneficial to me if it alters the starch (and addresses the proteins/antinutrients etc)

I just found this interesting article. Basically the same idea: ferment the starchy grains so they are more easily absorbed.
    http://www.domesticsoul.com/2012/07/...ment-rice.html
    Last edited by donnie86; 05-05-2013 at 03:12 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Most reactions are to proteins, not starches.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Both are garbage. Have some steak and eggs

Actually I think I'll have some sweet potato fries tonight.

Rice miRNAs interfere with human gene expression though Rice, Potatoes, Wheat, and Other Plants Interfere with Human Gene Expression | Evolvify
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-05-2013 at 03:31 PM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    My ancestors all ate rice and thrived on wonderful health.

So I'm pretty sure I am tolerant to it.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with rice imo, but I prefer potatoes. Oven roasted "steak fries" coated with olive oil, sea salt and chili powder are really nice.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Primal is theoretically anti-grain, and rice is a grain. Whole grains have more anti-nutrients than refined grains, but they also have more nutrients, so the other argument is that potatoes are more nutrient dense (which they are). I think another argument is they're too high glycemic, if you're into that sort of thing. I eat white rice.
    Agree with every word of every sentence.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12