Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best steaming method page

Marcie is offline Senior Member

Best steaming method

Shop Now
    Everyone on here has such creative ways of doing things and it is so helpful. I want to know what is the cheapest/easiest/best way to steam vegetables and/or seafood/fish. Broccoli has to taste better steamed. I bought some fish from the north (55th parallel) and they said to steam it and make poor man's lobster. I can google but I think the forum is my best choice. Throw in your favorite steamed recipe/meal if you want, I appreciate it.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think it just depends on what type of equipment you are using. I have several pots that have steamer baskets that nest on top of the boiler section. These are what I use for steaming vegetables, though I would probably use some sort of rack that fit inside the pot if I didn't have such a basket.

For steaming fish I would probably put the fish on a plate in the steamer basket or on a rack over the water.

If you do a lot of steaming you might want to buy one of those big steamer pots like they use in Chinese restaurants. That way you can steam even large objects, and you can steam everything at once.

richard is offline Senior Member
    the easiest easiest method is to put a little butter or oil in, and a bit of water, and the broccoli or whatever, and cover and boil. At the end, when the broc is tender, the water will mostly / entirely be gone. It's very simple and works for almost everything vegetable.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Basic steamers are really cheap, I think mine is from a grocery store or Target. The tripod part sits in a saucepan and the ventilated dish slides up and down to fit.

For vegetables the frozen microwave bags are usually just as good to me but I'm an uncivilized clod.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    the easiest easiest method is to put a little butter or oil in, and a bit of water, and the broccoli or whatever, and cover and boil. At the end, when the broc is tender, the water will mostly / entirely be gone. It's very simple and works for almost everything vegetable.
    But that's not "steaming" it's boiling. And a lot of the vegetable's nutrients are lost in water when boiled which is why steaming is very often a better option. And if you need your butter with your veggies then just drop a pat and smear it around with a knife just after you take the veggies out of the steamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    But that's not "steaming" it's boiling. And a lot of the vegetable's nutrients are lost in water when boiled which is why steaming is very often a better option. And if you need your butter with your veggies then just drop a pat and smear it around with a knife just after you take the veggies out of the steamer.
    No its not boiling because you only use a small amount of liquid

No its not boiling because you only use a small amount of liquid
    Any time food touches the liquid directly you still have nutrients that get lost into the water. This is why methods of steaming without having the food touch the water were traditionally (and quite frankly still most often) used today.

Normally you can drink the liquid afterwards if you are intent on getting those lost nutrients, but with your method, the liquid completely boils away so that's not an option. Also, it seems to me that if you accidentally forgot about your food you'd have ruined it AND your pan.

And trust me, people DO forget sometimes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    it seems to me that if you accidentally forgot about your food you'd have ruined it AND your pan.

I assure you, it is quite possible to walk away from a steamer until the pot is ruined and the vegetables thoroughly permeated with smoke.

Any time food touches the liquid directly you still have nutrients that get lost into the water. This is why methods of steaming without having the food touch the water were traditionally (and quite frankly still most often) used today.

Normally you can drink the liquid afterwards if you are intent on getting those lost nutrients, but with your method, the liquid completely boils away so that's not an option. Also, it seems to me that if you accidentally forgot about your food you'd have ruined it AND your pan.

I'll try one more time.

You put a little oil or butter in, and a small amount of water. Throw the food in. Yes, a little is in the water and gets boiled. But 99.9% of it is steamed. The water evaporates as steam and when you get good at this, the food will be done when the water is gone or pretty close. It is STEAMING not boiling. It is just a lot simpler than using a steamer, one less thing to wash and mess up. It works with just 1) food and 2) saucepan with lid or even skillet with lid.

It is NOT boiling other than a SMALL amount of food that contacts the water directly.

PrimalCon New York
    I'll try one more time.

You put a little oil or butter in, and a small amount of water. Throw the food in. Yes, a little is in the water and gets boiled. But 99.9% of it is steamed. The water evaporates as steam and when you get good at this, the food will be done when the water is gone or pretty close. It is STEAMING not boiling. It is just a lot simpler than using a steamer, one less thing to wash and mess up. It works with just 1) food and 2) saucepan with lid or even skillet with lid.

It is NOT boiling other than a SMALL amount of food that contacts the water directly.
    You'll note I didn't even call it "boiling" in my second post to you. I merely referred to other steaming methods (such as using a basket) which, while they may involve an extra step or dish to was, I think produces better results from my personal experience.

Just my opinion though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast