Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fats clog the drain? page

muffinz is offline Member

What fats clog the drain?

Primal Fuel
    Can leftover coconut oil or butter or fat from fatty beef that cooked off go down the kitchen sink or will it clog the drain? What do I need to let sit out and harden before dumping down the drain?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Don't throw away fat! Eat it (assuming the animal fats are grass-fed, that is.)

Use it to scramble eggs. It will keep in the fridge for weeks.

Otherwise, all of those fats will harden at room temperature--faster if chilled. Put them in the garbage, not your drains, where they will definitely cause clogging over time.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Hahah. Dragonfly nailed it. I actually have to be more careful with what I do with those nasty egg whites .

If you put those down the drain and run hot water your gonna gunk things up pretty bad too....so use the trash for your egg whites. That is if your not eating em all.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hahah. Dragonfly nailed it. I actually have to be more careful with what I do with those nasty egg whites .

If you put those down the drain and run hot water your gonna gunk things up pretty bad too....so use the trash for your egg whites. That is if your not eating em all.
    If you rinse them down with cold water, that's not a problem. Hot water would have to be hotter than I have it here to cook them anyway.

Paleobird Guest
    I always just put the pan down on the floor and let the dog clean it for me. My furry four footed garbage disposal system.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Re-use the oil - here's some ideas:

-If it's in a fry pan then do you really need to wash it after every use? - I just store it in the oven and use it again the next day as the Sat fat is very stable at room temp.

-As suggested fry up scrambled eggs it it to take up the oil or veg or some eggplant and it acts as a sponge to mop up the oil.

-Pour/scrape excess on to dog/cat food bowl

-If wanting to wash it then first wipe out with kitchen paper towel and dispose paper in the bin and then wash normally - often after wiping it it's clean enough to store in oven for next use with fresh fat.

Don't pour ANY oils/fats into sink hole.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Not only will it plug up your drains, if you're on a septic system fats and oils will bugger up the tank over time too.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I wait til it cools and eat it with a spatchula
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Any fat that is solid at room temp will clog a drain if poured down the sink..... because somewhere down the sewer line it is cool enough for the fat to solidify and accumulate.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You should never dispose of a fat down the drain, basically; it will clog the drain. If you must dispose of it, throw it away. If you need to get rid of hot grease, pour it into a heat-proof container (glass or metal) and then put it in the trash. Many plastics will melt if you pour hot grease on them. And like people have said, if you can think of a way to use the fat later, keep it; it keeps basically forever in the fridge or freezer (but very long-term will absorb odors so seal tightly).
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast