Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thick curry sauce page 2

tibofox is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks Mike, i will try the gravy sometime. One more question:
    Beef rendang recipe : Food Safari : SBS Food
    In this video, look at about 4:03, see it change from liquid to thick with just cooking time; and he has no gravy put in, it's from scratch. Is there something else i'm missing?

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    I watched food safari (of course ) and the "sauce" like you see is self generated from the long cooking time as it is indeed cooked from scratch.
    In your OP you said you were interested in getting something like the restaurant curries, and they add a gravy.

However, indeed if you have a slow cooker / crockpot you can also do a curry in that with a lot of fried onions, meat etc - all those ingredients I listed in my post above can be put in with the meat and spices and let it simmer for six hours whatever. In the end it will also turn out nice and thick, but a different taste to the pan cooked version, less caramelised but quite smooth and rich.

The trick is not to add water as such, always use coconut cream, tomato passata, ground almonds, onions - allow all the liquid to come from the ingredients. Also as you cook it the meat or chicken will exude juice that blends in as well but it won't end up thin and watery.

Tell you what, I'm doing a butter chicken for din dins, starting right now so I'll take a few shots and post here for the "gravy" method.

OK, that went quite quickly. Start with frying the chicken thigh pieces with ghee and some garlic and ginger then set aside.

Get the ingredients assembled for the "gravy"

chickencurry 1.jpg

Spice the ghee first with the whole spices until they darken and pop.

chickencurry2.jpg

Fry the onions until caramelised, add the garlic ginger (I did a fine-grated version as I'd run out of paste)

chickencurry3.jpg
    chickencurry4.jpg

Run out of attachments, see next post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add the dry spices then fry off, add the tomato paste - I used passata that is a bit more runny, and you have the basic gravy, note the paste consistency.

chickencurry5.jpgchickencurry6.jpg

Now add the cooked chicken pieces, cream, some cashews blended to a "butter" in a blender with some water, stir in and cook gently for about 10 minutes until flavours combined and a nice smooth consistency.

chickencurry7.jpg

Mate this is better than anything from an Indian Takeaway. I did this without chilli as SWMBO can't eat it, but I dosed up my serve with some dry chilli powder.

Ate mine with a side of mashed sweet potato.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the detailed instructions. This looks awesome! I can't wait to try it
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

tibofox is offline Junior Member
    Thanks heaps mike I will try that recipe sometime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12