Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-Day backpacking trip - need help with food ideas. page

souter26 is offline Junior Member

Question 3-Day backpacking trip - need help with food ideas.

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating 100% primal for 227 days (over 80 pounds lost), finally had a cheat day (on tax day) and my body didn't know what to do totally freaked out, I am back on 100% primal again. I am planning a 3-4 day backpacking trip this summer. And need help with food ideas, as I won't have access to ice once we start our journey. (Except the Ice that I bring with me.) And I don't want to bring the carb-heavy grain-based foods with me as I don't want to experience a freak out on the trip.

So far I am thinking, tuna packets, eggs (raw), jerky, bananas, canned salmon, homemade trail mix.

I'm looking for anything from snacks to non-cook lunches to dinners that could be made with the basic backpacker's pan and open fire pit. I would appreciate any ideas, recipes or points in the right direction.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I recommend making pemmican beforehand. Its supposed to keep without being in the fridge as long as you don't live somewhere really hoot.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking a 7 or 8 day hike across the southern Oregon/Northern California coast in a week and a half here and these are my staples:

Pemmican (lots! about 6 pounds)
    Packets of tuna and salmon
    Tins of sardines
    A few potatoes that I pre-wrapped in tinfoil to cook in the ashes of our nightly fires
    A block of pasture butter in a plastic bag
    A small amount of homemade trail-mix with macadamia nuts, dates, flaked coconut, coconut oil, dark chocolate pieces, and a touch of salt
    Lots of tea

I might add a few items as the time comes nearer. I'll keep it updated here!

I probably don't have to tell you, but just remember to bring an extra bag for your trash to pack out with you. We don't need your waste-packaging littered all over mother nature and other hikers surely appreciate it. ;-)

I'm excited to say the least!

jspegel is offline Junior Member

Fish

I assume there are some lakes or streams where you are hiking? Take a travel fishing pole! That is my favorite thing to do with multi day hikes.

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    I'm under the impression that root vegetables pack and keep well. So things like carrots and parsnips.
    ---
    ~Christine

With Pemmican does that contain any grains, or soy. Any store bought stuff I can find contains those, and my body doesn't like grains or soy product anymore (sadly). Also the potato idea is great, if I liked them. Any other ideas. I too am going backpacking in oregon as well. No placed decided on yet, no one can make up there minds, and ideas on a good location, somewhat of a beginner to intermediate hike in would be great, as I still am overweight and just had emergency open heart surgery less then 11 weeks ago. We are hoping to go to a lake or river (we all love to fish).

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Cool! You can make pemmican yourself with just meat, rendered fat, and a little salt. A quick search here or on google should give you some recipes. Traditionally it also contained dried berries and maybe some honey, but those are optional. You can also order grassfed pemmican from here. It is pretty spendy, but high quality stuff. I wish I could recommend a few places out there, but it will be my first time backpacking around the area too.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Pemmican Making Guide!

Take pics I wanna see all the different types!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Thanks, for the website to the Pemmican, I will have to try some out. I might make my own, who knows. I will keep this post updated, and any help would be much appreciated. As this will be my first outing since I started the 100% primal plan, that I didn't have direct contact with a freezer.
    Last edited by souter26; 05-12-2010 at 02:02 PM.

micki7 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pemmican is a MUST! Beef jerky for when you want something chewy. Salmon makes a good jerky too. Small amount of dried fruit. Raw Macadamias. Tea Bags or Yerba Mate'. Fishing gear and fishing license if you hike/camp near water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast