Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit - How Much, Effects when eaten with other foods. page

fit4good is offline Junior Member

Fruit - How Much, Effects when eaten with other foods.

Primal Fuel
    Greetings Everyone,

I'm transiting from very low carb. I've added a serving of berries and two servings of nuts per day ketosis reading is very light. Berries are good but I'd like to add more dense fruits for smoothies (not extremely sweet smoothies - green smoothies that use an apple, banana and/or mango to help with taste) and I'd like to try recipes with banana and or apple as a sweetener or binder (almond muffins).

If I incorporate denser fruits with high fat and or proteins, will it mitigate the effects of the sugars in the fruit allowing me to continue in a fat burning mode? (ketosis)

Does anyone know of a free nutritional calculator that will calculate carbs, fats, protein in a recipe and or a meal.

Thanks in advance.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Check out www.paleotrack.com for nutritional analysis of foods and recipes that you enter.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Just as a general comment on fruits, I use them as my best natural carb source, I find weight loss is slower when I eat them but I still loose weight, and feel more comfortable than if I am very low carb. I still have very low carb days maybe once or twice a week, I believe that fruit consumption brings you out of. Ketosis generally (others will correct me if I'm wrong on that) bit it doesn't mean that you will stop losing excess fat, especially if you are active, at least that is my experience.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    As a general rule better for digestion to keep fat & protein seperate from carbohydrate,
    Otherwise not quite sure what you're trying to achieve, stay in Ketosis or stay out?

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    As a general rule better for digestion to keep fat & protein seperate from carbohydrate,
    Otherwise not quite sure what you're trying to achieve, stay in Ketosis or stay out?
    Omni, I am interested in learning more about the possibilities of food combining. Where is your "go to" site for information. Have you ever considered seasonal eating too. I am a bit skeptical about any of it making a big difference for me but I like trying stuff to see what it does. Thanks
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Don't have a specific site, just bit's I pick up here and there.
    Fat & protein stimulate acid production for their digestion, but carbohydrate supresses it for it's digestion, so that's why it's better to seperate them.

Hydrate well 1/2 to 1 hour before eating and minimal fluids during meals, better to let your stomach add required fluid along with enzymes and acid required.

Sour, bitter and fermented foods as a small appetizer before meal to stimulate the GI tract before the main meal.
    Main meal of proteins and fats
    Desert, fruits & other carbs & nuts.

I follow the seasonal philosophy loosly, I think our body needs to be exercised in all realms, like our ancesters, there is some seasonal variation most everywhere, don't think pattern is too essential, but sometimes diet should be higher in meat & fat, say in colder months other times higher in fruits & carbs in warmer months. It's hard with supermarkets offering everything all the time, but lower prices often reflect when things are in season.
    Don't need to be too strict, just move diet around a bit, I like to look at it as tuning the "Dual Fuel Beast"

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Sour, bitter and fermented foods as a small appetizer before meal to stimulate the GI tract before the main meal.
    Main meal of proteins and fats
    Desert, fruits & other carbs & nuts.
    I'm intrigued by how traditional cuisines handle this. When I had formal meals in Japan and China the rice and fruit were used at the end as a sort of palate cleanser. Meanwhile my coworkers at lunch invariably wolf down the fries or crackers first...
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think food combining is mostly a folklore thing. Would Grok have not eaten the haunch of mammoth because he didn't have the proper first course?

But I think you can train your digestive system to expect only certain things, which would mean other unexpected combinations and foods might in the end be less well digested.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think food combining is mostly a folklore thing.
    If you eat 1g carb and 1g fat in the same meal, they mate and produce 1000g fat as offspring!
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the person. Just gradually build up and expect a few bouts of digestive discomfort if you eat too much.

Yesterday, for example, I had two apples, a small banana, a grapefruit, 3 dates, 8 grapes, some onion and some pepper. Stomach cramps and kinda fluid "results" this morning show I probably took it too far for my body.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast