Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals! page 9

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Managed to fast yesterday. Well, mostly. I had a dram of Scotch and a small glass of wine. Drinking fasted is rather effective if done properly - that is if one remembers to drink his water. I know it's not within the confines of the diet, but in terms of cheats a few grams of alcohol is pretty benign. De novo lipogenesis from alcohol is practically nonexistent and in the absence of dietary fats, there will be no fat storage. The effect is momentary shutdown of fat oxidation while the alcohol is converted to acetate for energy. No harm, no foul.

Woke up and I'm 170.8, which is more or less the same as last Friday. Just as I suspected, the bloat and bulk of the carb binge disappeared by Wednesday. I get the sense the body is rather cross with me. I haven't eaten in 39 hours, I've bicycled twelve vigorous miles, drank some alcohol, and I've taken two ice cold showers. I wouldn't say I'm hungry at the moment, but the body wants something. I have a thirst for heavy lifting. I want to sweat and lift and then rip a piece of meat apart. I feel absurd sitting in a climate controlled lab, clicking through spreadsheets. After the high of an icy shower, the thrill of a taxing bike ride, and the predatory clarity that comes along with 40 hours of fasting, my white collar job just seems so . . . banal. The mind wanders strangely when you subject yourself to such abuse.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    After the high of an icy shower, the thrill of a taxing bike ride, and the predatory clarity that comes along with 40 hours of fasting, my white collar job just seems so . . . banal. The mind wanders strangely when you subject yourself to such abuse.
    I am right there with you, at 42 hours fast, same bike ride (but no booze) and my predator's hunger is slowly waking up. My job is s/w programming and I decided to quit it by end of the year (at the latest). I hope they actually fire me with a nice severance package ...

I've achieved steady state. The body is fully adjusted to steak and eggs and we're smooth sailing. Five by five. I did have a rather weak workout last night - deadlifts were down one rep on the top RPT set and bench press was down two reps. But so far it's an isolated incident so it will be attributed to noise in the signal. The scale was at a tantalizing 170.2 this morning. I haven't been under 170 in over a year. Granted I'm glycogen depleted at the moment so my true weight is more like 174, but the psychological effects of seeing 169.X in the near future will be impressive. The best part? Regular, healthy bowel movements.

This evening I plan on having a big bowl of ground beef with fried eggs over top. Last time I tried eating a bowl of ground beef by itself I found it greasy and rather unappealing. This time I think I'll throw in 1/4 onion and maybe some mushrooms for a bit of texture. At this point my cravings are nil and my hunger is minimal so I don't have cause to believe a few vegetables will spur a binge. I'll post pictures later. Ahh. Rest day.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I've found that to avoid greasy mince one should just cook them for longer, until they get crispy and gnarly. Or, just place on some paper towels and pat dry.

That's my supper tonight.

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    I'm enjoying following along with your steak and eggs and lifiting. I hope you do stick with it!

For the first time in 12 months, the scale reads 169 pounds. What a huge event for me. Once again, I acknowledge I'm glycogen- and water-depleted. But I don't care. The scale read 182.6 on April 1st, just under seven weeks ago. I've lost 13 pounds since then and five pounds on steak and eggs. Now I've been on enough diet-induced weight swings to know the scale doesn't tell the whole story (though generally if the numbers go down we're in good shape). But my reflection is really something else. I've always been blocky and rather shapeless so I'm taken aback every morning when I look in the mirror and see a vee shaped torso and thick arms. I've been muscular for quite a long time but this is the first time I've had any sort of physique worth noting. I can't wait to post my before/after S&E pictures when I'm done with the diet.

On another note, it's Bike to Work Day here in the DC region, which is fantastic. I bike to work every day of the year so it was just another normal day for me, except I got a tee shirt and a free bottle of chain lubricant. While it was great to see so many cyclists on the roads, I was sad to see so many of my plump, soft coworkers mowing down Au Bon Pain bagels and bread loaves smothered in Nutella and Jif. Time to carb up! I live right near a popular road for weekend warrior cyclists and it's really quite amazing how fat they all are. Watching a herd of jerseys fly by on a Sunday morning is really a sight. For every lithe, trim man or woman there are eight sagging mustachioed middle managers slurping down energy gel. Cycling a few miles a week really entitles these people to hork down all this food when they quite plainly have loads of energy filling out their skintight club jerseys. And I'm sure they wonder why they don't lose weight. I bet they'd have a more favorable energy balance if they sat on their asses at home reading a book.

Anyway it was a fun event, despite my misgivings. When I did the PSMF last year I was having vivid, fantastical dreams about bread. I would wake up in the middle of the night with sourdough on my lips, yearning for some yeasty glory. Once or twice, I'm sad to admit, I'd linger around the bakery at Whole Foods just smelling the bread. Now I wasn't a breadaholic prior to the diet, but the PSMF clearly induced some serious carb cravings. It's mildly amazing that steak and eggs has not produced such an effect. This morning as I watched the merry cyclists pop bagels like they were peanuts I felt at most a mild aversion. I had no inclination to join in. Now, if they'd had an omelette station or a chafing dish full of bacon, I can't promise I would have shown the same restraint... In any case it's nice not to have constant carb cravings, or even be thinking about food at all. I fast from dusk 'til dusk so when I'm at work I just mill about and get stuff done. I still drink titanic amounts of coffee, but I've been doing that for years. The fat flies off and I still salivate at the thought of S&E for dinner. What a wonder.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-17-2013 at 06:26 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    For the first time in 12 months, the scale reads 169 pounds. What a huge event for me.
    I'm down to 140 after fasting yesterday. I haven't been this light in many years.

When I did the PSMF last year I was having vivid, fantastical dreams about bread. I would wake up in the middle of the night with sourdough on my lips, yearning for some yeasty glory. Once or twice, I'm sad to admit, I'd linger around the bakery at Whole Foods just smelling the bread. Now I wasn't a giant breadaholic prior to the diet, but the PSMF clearly induced some serious carb cravings. It's mildly amazing that steak and eggs has not produced such an effect.
    When I did the PSMF I craved fat, not carbs. Drove me absolutely nuts.

This morning as I watched the merry cyclists pop bagels like they were peanuts I felt at most a mild aversion. I had no inclination to join in. Now, if they'd had an omelette station or a chafing dish full of bacon, I can't promise I would have shown the same restraint...
    STEAK TIPS!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    For the first time in 12 months, the scale reads 169 pounds. What a huge event for me. Once again, I acknowledge I'm glycogen- and water-depleted. But I don't care. The scale read 182.6 on April 1st, just under seven weeks ago. I've lost 13 pounds since then and five pounds on steak and eggs. Now I've been on enough diet-induced weight swings to know the scale doesn't tell the whole story (though generally if the numbers go down we're in good shape). But my reflection is really something else. I've always been blocky and rather shapeless so I'm taken aback every morning when I look in the mirror and see a vee shaped torso and thick arms. I've been muscular for quite a long time but this is the first time I've had any sort of physique worth noting. I can't wait to post my before/after S&E pictures when I'm done with the diet.

On another note, it's Bike to Work Day here in the DC region, which is fantastic. I bike to work every day of the year so it was just another normal day for me, except I got a tee shirt and a free bottle of chain lubricant. While it was great to see so many cyclists on the roads, I was sad to see so many of my plump, soft coworkers mowing down Au Bon Pain bagels and bread loaves smothered in Nutella and Jif. Time to carb up! I live right near a popular road for weekend warrior cyclists and it's really quite amazing how fat they all are. Watching a herd of jerseys fly by on a Sunday morning is really a sight. For every lithe, trim man or woman there are eight sagging mustachioed middle managers slurping down energy gel. Cycling a few miles a week really entitles these people to hork down all this food when they quite plainly have loads of energy filling out their skintight club jerseys. And I'm sure they wonder why they don't lose weight. I bet they'd have a more favorable energy balance if they sat on their asses at home reading a book.

Anyway it was a fun event, despite my misgivings. When I did the PSMF last year I was having vivid, fantastical dreams about bread. I would wake up in the middle of the night with sourdough on my lips, yearning for some yeasty glory. Once or twice, I'm sad to admit, I'd linger around the bakery at Whole Foods just smelling the bread. Now I wasn't a breadaholic prior to the diet, but the PSMF clearly induced some serious carb cravings. It's mildly amazing that steak and eggs has not produced such an effect. This morning as I watched the merry cyclists pop bagels like they were peanuts I felt at most a mild aversion. I had no inclination to join in. Now, if they'd had an omelette station or a chafing dish full of bacon, I can't promise I would have shown the same restraint... In any case it's nice not to have constant carb cravings, or even be thinking about food at all. I fast from dusk 'til dusk so when I'm at work I just mill about and get stuff done. I still drink titanic amounts of coffee, but I've been doing that for years. The fat flies off and I still salivate at the thought of S&E for dinner. What a wonder.
    Another great well written log. You really should give consideration to writing a book someday. Congrats on the weight loss (fat loss) and body change!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Another great well written log. You really should give consideration to writing a book someday. Congrats on the weight loss (fat loss) and body change!
    This. I really look forward to your updates, ajm. You definitely have a way with words.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I live right near a popular road for weekend warrior cyclists and it's really quite amazing how fat they all are.
    I used to ride with a bunch of older recumbent bike riders. Oh my god now these people are fat! First was the pre-ride bagels. Then we rode to a place to have lunch. Some of these guys were well over 300lbs. It seems bike riders tend to be on either end of the spectrum: very thin or fat. Not many of them are muscular.

Good job on breaking the 170 barrier.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast