Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals! page 6

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    On that note, the GF was staring at my eggs last night and said, "I think when I finish all the vegetables I'm going to do steak and eggs too." HA! I don't want to speak prematurely, but she is thinking of doing steak and eggs for the last 2 weeks of my trial. We'll probably both end up adding in some roughage, but that's how it's going now.
    Just make sure she doesn't insist that you subsist on tofu stir fries when she embraces her inner carnivore

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    It has been taxing though. I don't know if all you guys in the main thread are just more fat adapted, tougher, or just flat out lying (I sincerely doubt that) but 6 days on this diet is really starting to jar me. My chronic diarrhea has been well documented so I won't go into it.
    Yeah, I was pretty much adapted going into this. I used to eat a 3 egg omelet with cheese, a small snack at lunch (cheese or deli meat) if I felt the need for something, and Steak for dinner. About a week before the thread was posted I switched to a 5 egg scramble for breakfast and steak for dinner so I was already kind of doing the S&E except as separate meals. I've tried to cut out the coffee with heavy cream for the 4 weeks but some mornings I still need.

And just so you know your not alone, I've also had bouts of the loose stool but usually only 1-2 times a day (sounds like your's is more often ). The carb-up day shut that down for a few days though.

But this morning on my bike ride into work (all uphill, though I normally crank with ease) felt like pedaling through cream cheese frosting. No, not sand. Cream cheese frosting. Or maybe peanut butter. Yeah - like pedaling through peanut butter.
    Sand still sounds worse, I can never control the bike when I hit a sand patch. I always have to get off and walk it.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for imperfect adherence, here! My refeed went from day to two, and I had coconut milk in my coffee yesterday. Meh. I'm still eating mostly red meat and eggs every meal.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Haha. That thought came to me in a weak moment (on the toilet at 3 AM). "How can no one else be dealing with this!?" I trust that everyone's being truthful.
    I'm actually the opposite and very bloated, although it seems to be easing up now!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Pooping is normal. Firm but smooth. Mild delays here and there. Kombucha and sauerkraut make stools looser, due to improved digestion I'd wager.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday morning I was lethargic, groggy, and miserable on my bike ride in. Well, I haven't left for work yet but I feel amazing! My weight is down from 170.8 to 170.2, my body isn't sore, and I feel hale and strong. I doubt it made much of a difference, but I took a few big bites of sauerkraut last night with my dinner. I still had diarrhea last night, but at this point it doesn't really bother me so much. Stool frequency is up I must admit, but it's not really so bad. And my muscles look AMAZING.

Sous-vide steak and 4 fried eggs with a handful of sautéed mushrooms:

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368186763.853818.jpg

The steak got a little overcooked - I was playing Wii with the gf and the temperature went up to 180 F (AH!). It came out medium, which definitely made it harder to get down all 22 oz. But the eggs were amazing, and the mushrooms were a good change of pace. Total carbs for the day were under 10 g, so I figure I'm good.

My lady had lentil soup, which she claims was pretty good.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368186871.509715.jpg

I'm not sure her vegan experiment is gonna make it past today. We're going out to dinner with her mother and we're gonna order meat. Plants vs. Animals? Animals ALWAYS win. I guess I'm looking to the carb refeed, but really I still love steak and eggs. I'm going to eat my bodyweight in 0% Greek yogurt and blueberries, that's for sure. Oh, and bread and beer. I don't normally eat too much bread, but every time I have runny egg yolks swimming around on my plate, I've missed having a big hunk of bread.

KT79 is offline Member
    Going gluten free only works for weight-loss if you eat mostly whole foods and avoid the processed gluten free substitute products. If anything, processed gluten free food is less healthy and nutritious and more calorie-dense than the product it's trying to replace. Plus, most of it is expensive and doesn't taste that good.

If your girlfriend is really missing beer, you should look for Green's - it's a Belgian beer that's both vegan and gluten free, and it comes in 3-flavors - it's pretty tasty, considering it's gluten free. Whole Foods sometimes carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    Going gluten free only works for weight-loss if you eat mostly whole foods and avoid the processed gluten free substitute products.
    That's all well and good, but the only way gluten-free foods work for weight loss is if you eat fewer calories' worth of the new food. I haven't read Wheat Belly, and I can't stand Gary Taubes or Robert Lustig or Robb Wolf. Even if they're in service of a good message (we should eat less grain/sugar/processed foods) they're all sensationalist assholes who do more damage than good. They're no better than the low fat crazies of the 80s and 90s. You don't raise awareness and effect change by saying, "everything you've been doing and all the foods you love are EVIL and you're FAT and SICK and it's never gonna change unless you listen to ME!" That's the vibe I get from all these anti-carb assholes.

The reason I like Mark so much is because he encourages moderation and sensibility. He's said that it's fine to eat things like rice, oatmeal, and ice cream as long as it's an occasional treat. Hell, he even says he doesn't abstain from dinner rolls when he goes out (he just puts lots of butter on them ). He gets that an 80-90% primal diet is just as good as a 100% paleo diet. Because gluten, rice, refined sugar, processed foods, cured red meats, soda, fructose, milk, potato chips, and vegetable oil ARE NOT EVIL. The dose makes the poison. Telling someone that they can't eat their grandmother's cookies or their mother's famous spaghetti is a jackass thing to do and it doesn't even change their minds. They think, "screw you, Dr. ____, your six figure salary and your book deal. I'm happiest when I'm with my loved ones eating the food my family has been cooking for generations. Take your elitist book somewhere else." If you were to say to that same person, "it'd probably be good if you only had that once a week or every two weeks - then you'll live longer and could keep having that food into your 80s" they'll at least think about it. Going 100% gluten free is cool and all, I guess but it's only really going to help people with impaired gastrointestinal tracts.

I would bet the giant bag of unbleached all-purpose flour I have at home on the fact that any healthy person who claims they saw benefits from going gluten free actually saw the benefits of making many changes at once, like exercising, eating fewer processed foods, eating more whole foods, increasing protein, etc. No one ever just goes gluten free and changes nothing else. It's absolutely impossible to do - not only are the replacement foods different in many ways other than not containing gluten, but making such a large change in your diet forces you to make dozens of other, subconscious decisions about the rest of your diet. I've seriously cut down my gluten consumption, but as long as I'm healthy I'm going to continue to have my beer and bread, because those things are important to me, and important to the human experience. They are, after all, the reason we have civilization.

Wow I'm sorry. I read your comment then the world just went sorta red. I woke up 20 minutes later and I had typed that angry diatribe. That comment wasn't in response to you. And I agree with you. That was just a vent. Sorry...
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-10-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Emphasis

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There really are people for whom one or more of those things are poison. Many of them never realize that they don't just have "bad digestion", "bad genetics", and loads of seemingly unrelated health problems that eventually kill them, which might have been avoided if they had tried giving up some of those things.

They've heard over and over again on entertainment shows that pretend to be informative that people who eat gluten-free only do it to feel special and annoy the people around them. Or that people with type II diabetes would do better if only they tried harder to stick to that 60% carb diet.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-10-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There really are people for whom one or more of those things are poison.
    Once again, the dose makes the poison. And I agree, if you're lactose intolerant, have gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, or Crohn's disease like my father, then that dose could be very small. If my Dad has two beers in an evening, he's totally fine. But if he has two beers and a plate of pasta and some bread, then he'll pay for it the next day. If you have mild lactose intolerance and you have a slice of pizza, you might be ok. If you drink 3 glasses of milk, there'll be hell to pay.

If you're actually a healthy person, cutting out all your gluten is going to have a very small effect on your health, unless I suppose you've been eating an entire loaf of bread every day or something. If you're an unhealthy person, you don't just cut out gluten. You adopt an entirely new diet and entire new awareness about what goes into your mouth. You make countless decisions about what to eat and what not to eat. You might take up cooking, choose vastly different foods at restaurants, and start thinking about trying different foods. You probably also take up some kind of exercise. Sure, going without gluten may help some unhealthy people, but it's going to be a piece of the puzzle. And, unless you do have gluten intolerance, Celiac, or Crohn's or something similar, you can still have a sandwich or some bread when you go out to your monthly brunch with your friends. And not feel guilty about it.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast