Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals! page 5

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I thought that is what normally happens to people. It's hard, it cuts a lot of weight, it makes you miserable. Same thing happens when people do the chicken breast and broccoli diet for getting those striations to show. That's why people don't live on this diet, they use it for getting ripped really quickly for a competition or whatever.
    I certainly didn't expect this diet to be easy. I expected it to be the least-shitty crash diet for losing gobs of body fat fast. And so far, I think that's true. I just find it passing odd that, as far as I know, not one person in the other thread has reported any digestive issues or lethargy. I guess it's possible I missed something, but it seems to be sunshine and daisies in there. It doesn't seem far fetched to me that some people are just not reporting such things, or that many are not observing complete adherence. Other than the handful of walnuts I had last night, I haven't had a SINGLE carbohydrate in six days. Not a mushroom, or a piece of broccoli, or anything except a micronibble of my gf's tofu. I dunno.

It's also likely that everyone who adopted this diet was already adapted to a high fat/high protein/moderate or low carb diet. I certainly wasn't. Maybe they really are just sailing through it. Not every diet is for every person. Like I said, I'm prepared to cope with the symptoms of this diet. It's just weird being the only one.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    My "reason" is to try out the fat loss methods of Vince Gironda for four weeks. Fat loss, especially rapid fat loss, is always going to be miserable. I did Lyle McDonald's RFL PSMF once and lost a bunch of fat, but was cripplingly hungry and constipated for a month. Oh, and I gained all the fat back.
    I tried that and couldn't even stick to it for a week without binging, and I'm not a binger. The lack of fat drove me nuts. If I'd known it was a fat-free diet, I'd never have bought the book.

And the thing is, he discusses how some people do well on a high fat diet, and then prescribes a fat-free one, because some people don't. Not much flexibility there.

This is not a diet in the sense of "way of eating". It's a crash diet, a weight loss diet. I'm not tired of steak yet. I feel great.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member

It's also likely that everyone who adopted this diet was already adapted to a high fat/high protein/moderate or low carb diet. I certainly wasn't. Maybe they really are just sailing through it. Not every diet is for every person. Like I said, I'm prepared to cope with the symptoms of this diet. It's just weird being the only one.
    I think this is an important point. I have been Paleo/Primal for over a year and definitely feel like I was fat adapted, so this diet has been quite easy for me, although I did add mushrooms and onions to my lunch steak for some additional flavor after the first week. Still my carb grams are under 20 per day which is quite low. If you are not fat adapted then you will not feel great on this diet for the first couple of weeks, after that it gets progressively easier. But as has been mentioned this is a one month trial to jump start some fat loss, everyone is different and each person will have a different experience. What's been surprising to me is the strength and muscle gains, this was totally unexpected.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I too am fat adapted. That's definitely a key point. It's been "sunshine and daisies for me" so far. As I said in the other thread, I was definitely saving on toilet paper so far but that problem has resolved itself and everything's good. I'm sorry you're struggling. Maybe just be primal for a while and then try again?

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Maybe just be primal for a while and then try again?
    NEVAHHH!!!! Like I said, I'm dealing. The fat loss is fantastic and that's what this is for. Besides, I never really intend on being fat adapted. In normal times, I follow leangains which is high carb/low fat on training days and low carb/high fat on rest days. I'll never give up my potatoes, breads, beer, and oatmeal. Never.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    NEVAHHH!!!!
    Haha. Ok, Braveheart ;P

I know you want Animals to win in Plants vs. Animals!

Just keep on being as self aware as you currently are and you'll do fine. Go Animals!

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Haha. Ok, Braveheart ;P

I know you want Animals to win in Plants vs. Animals!
    On that note, the GF was staring at my eggs last night and said, "I think when I finish all the vegetables I'm going to do steak and eggs too." HA! I don't want to speak prematurely, but she is thinking of doing steak and eggs for the last 2 weeks of my trial. We'll probably both end up adding in some roughage, but that's how it's going now.

She is doing fine on vegan (she also went gluten-free, by the way) but she misses eggs, cheese, beer, and meat. She's also lost 3 pounds, so that's something.

GO ANIMALS

She is doing fine on vegan (she also went gluten-free, by the way) but she misses eggs, cheese, beer, and meat. She's also lost 3 pounds, so that's something.

GO ANIMALS
    Hopefully she hasn't lost too much muscle in the weight loss. Going gluten free plays a huge role in the weight loss process. I have quite a few vegan friends who changed how they were eating after discussing may Paleo approach, they could not embrace meat but have gone gluten free and embraced the Paleo whole food strategy (dropping all processed foods, sugars and gluten) with very good weight loss results.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Hopefully she hasn't lost too much muscle in the weight loss. Going gluten free plays a huge role in the weight loss process. I have quite a few vegan friends who changed how they were eating after discussing may Paleo approach, they could not embrace meat but have gone gluten free and embraced the Paleo whole food strategy (dropping all processed foods, sugars and gluten) with very good weight loss results.
    I wonder why. I would posit that it's mostly the calorie density of processed foods and sugar. Mechanistically, I can't see why a gluten-free diet would be beneficial for fat loss other than just helping to reduce calorie consumption.

As far as my gf is concerned, the weight loss is almost certainly due to eating so little. She's eating one meal a day which is a salad that has beans on it and no real dressing to speak of. It can't be more than 1000 calories.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wonder why. I would posit that it's mostly the calorie density of processed foods and sugar. Mechanistically, I can't see why a gluten-free diet would be beneficial for fat loss other than just helping to reduce calorie consumption.

As far as my gf is concerned, the weight loss is almost certainly due to eating so little. She's eating one meal a day which is a salad that has beans on it and no real dressing to speak of. It can't be more than 1000 calories.
    Its not just the gluten its other things in modern wheat. Piick up the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, provides some good insight into how wheat has contributed to our obesity, heart disease and diabetes epidemics.

Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast