Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals! page 12

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ajm that was a great post! Thanks for taking the time to write it. Brings the 4 week time period into perspective.

Novasteve74 is offline Junior Member
    Great post, ajm! I haven't started my S&E trial yet, but I've been keeping updated with the main thread as well as yours. I'll probably start in the next couple of weeks. I've been following leangains for almost a year now and my training regimen is very comparable to what you've previously posted. You're post was very inspiring and it's great information. I'll be keeping an eye out for your Wendler 5/3/1 experiences as I've been eyeing that protocol too. By the way, count me in as a blog reader if you ever decide to start one!

little vase is online now Senior Member
    ^ Everything he said.

How's your wife doing, ajm? Is she killing lots of plants?

I'm so glad you stuck with this. I thought for a few days that you might be the first s&e casualty.

I also can't wait to do it again! I want to become more familiar with the kamado egg grill I just got so I can smoke everything. I want to do it again in July or August. I'm experimenting with smoked eggs today. You smoke them right in the shell. Can't wait to try some.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    ^ Everything he said.

How's your wife doing, ajm? Is she killing lots of plants?
    Haha. Her veganism was short-lived, I'm afraid. She made it through six days of lettuce and beans and decided to just stop. She didn't miss meat as much as she missed eggs and dairy. In my opinion she's just bad at being a vegan - too little variety and too little protein. If she planned more and got a vegan cookbook or something I'm sure she could keep with it. But that would involve being a vegan which we both agree is lame.

I'm so glad you stuck with this. I thought for a few days that you might be the first s&e casualty.
    Doing weird diets is kind of my hobby and four days of diarrhea isn't so bad. Actually I once tried a meatatarian diet to thumb my nose at an infuriating vegetarian coworker. I ate exclusively meat and meat products and a small amount of dairy. I had bacon-wrapped sausages, "sandwiches" of two steaks with a salmon fillet in between, thin slices of steak rolled up with cheese, and eggs cooked in little ground beef saucers. Everything was cooked in bacon or duck fat. The only other items I allowed myself were salt, pepper, coffee and herbs. I would bring these monstrosities into work and gleefully tear into them right in her pompous little face. This may seem petty and childish to you, but she is one of those shame-vegetarians who tries to lay things like global hunger, clear cutting, and habitat destruction at the feet of non-vegetarians. That, and she was convinced I was some sort of moribund heart disease enthusiast. Trust me when I say, she had it coming.

Turns out the joke was on me. I never admitted it to her, but that was god-friggin awful. I had all the diarrhea of S&E with none of the energy. Not sure what made the difference but I really paid for my little stint. The look on her face when I told her what I was doing though? Once in a lifetime. She started avoiding me at lunch eventually and I stopped because I was so miserable, but her expressions made the whole thing worth it.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-20-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Hmm, I'd be curious to know what played a part in the difference in energy, too.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    Haha.

Doing weird diets is kind of my hobby and four days of diarrhea isn't so bad. Actually I once tried a meatatarian diet to thumb my nose at an infuriating vegetarian coworker. I ate exclusively meat and meat products and a small amount of dairy. I had bacon-wrapped sausages, "sandwiches" of two steaks with a salmon fillet in between, thin slices of steak rolled up with cheese, and eggs cooked in little ground beef saucers. Everything was cooked in bacon or duck fat. The only other items I allowed myself were salt, pepper, coffee and herbs. I would bring these monstrosities into work and gleefully tear into them right in her pompous little face. This may seem petty and childish to you, but she is one of those shame-vegetarians who tries to lay things like global hunger, clear cutting, and habitat destruction at the feet of non-vegetarians. That, and she was convinced I was some sort of moribund heart disease enthusiast. Trust me when I say, she had it coming.
    sounds like a cool WOE!!

The scale says 171.0 this morning - should be on track for an all-time low tomorrow morning. Today is Tuesday and I don't eat on Tuesdays. Next meal is at 7:00 PM on Wednesday. I started my new fitness regimen yesterday, which was, in the words of Theodore Roosevelt, dee-lightful. In addition to my 5/3/1 plan, I've incorporated Starting Stretching and Molding Mobility into my daily routine. I intend on focusing on mobility and dynamic stretching for the rest of my days. I know it's rather crass to say, but I just cannot stand yoga. I really just don't care for any aspect of any of it. But I'll do these routines (the sum of which is basically yoga) and hopefully reap all the increased range of motion and injury prevention they offer. Anybody else do useful mobility routines?

Steak and Eggs is still great. I feel lean, the weight is coming off, and my body is perfectly acclimated to the diet. Lots of energy, healthy bowel function. I have no way of attributing this to Steak and Eggs, but I also have no acne and no allergies. It's hard to say whether this is normal not. Perhaps I'm just focusing more on my body and my appearance and health on this diet. I usually have a clear complexion with maybe a blemish or two at any given time, but my skin has been clear for a few weeks. And I usually have nasty seasonal allergies this time of year but I've been totally clear. I think I can definitively say that Steak and Eggs does not cause acne or allergies in myself, though. So that's something.

I'm 169.4 this morning - not quite an all-time low but nearly there. Short update this morning. Steak and EGGS.

Well it's day 19 and my psyche is finally showing some wear and tear. I worked from home this morning and ended up unable to resist the call of walnuts and dark chocolate. After a few handfuls, I decided to try and eat a real meal to quell my hunger - three scrambled eggs with cheese and some butter. Now all the snack food is out of the house and the only things left in the fridge are lean meats, eggs, steak, and vegetables. Hopefully I won't have any more slips.

The real troubling thing is my mind is beginning to wander. I'm starting to worry if I'm damaging metabolism, or losing lean tissue, or not losing fat as fast as I could be. I spent some time this morning thinking about dropping the whole thing. I think I'm back now, but I can say I won't be carrying this past four weeks. I have day 28 circled on the calendar and I can say the experiment will be over then. I'm eager to get back to leangains and lose the last couple of pounds slowly while also working on my conditioning and building strength. But really I just want carbs again. I want potatoes and beets and bread and beer. This is a cool experiment and it has its ups and downs. Today is a down day. But I'll keep on until the end.

I'm going to do penance for my weakness: hill sprints after my training session this evening. That'll learn me.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-22-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How do you think you may be damaging your metabolism?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast