Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals! page 11

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have big plans, too.

DBM
    DBM is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone, I don't post alot (obviously) but I do read alot and have been following the Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 11 and I've just read your thread ajm422, some good stuff all round. I'm giving the steak and eggs a go aswell, it's not easy to stay strict but I keep trying. I just wanted to say that ground beef with taco seasoning and some salsa is great.I make about 5lbs at a time and freeze part of it for use later. Thanks eveyone for some good civilized reading.
    Dan

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Hi DBM, welcome. What day are you on? I'm definitely at the seasoning the beef stage over here. I'm in my third week and checking out the spice drawer.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Now that was a carbohydrate refeed done properly. It was not primal, it was not restrained, but it was sustaining. The sort of cheat day that actually does make the other six days of the diet week bearable. The sort of cheat day that fulfills all the nagging urges collecting at the back of your head all week. If willpower is indeed a muscle, then six days of Steak and Eggs is six days of hill sprints - taxing but rewarding. Saturday is one long nap. Relax, recover, and replenish that willpower.

On leangains.com, Martin Berkhan gives advice for controlling oneself on days like Thanksgiving: limit choices, not amounts. This precept is finely illustrated by the stark contrast between Steak and Eggs and the relative free-for-all of carbohydrate days. Restricting calories could not be simpler on steak and eggs. After I finish my 24 oz. steak and my six fried eggs, eating more food would mean cooking more steak and cooking more eggs. I'd rather just do something else. Sunday through Friday the refrigerator might as well be the size of a shoebox - just large enough to hold my steak, my eggs, and my butter. All the other contents are blurry, barely there. On Saturday, the refrigerator is lifesize again. All the beer, fruit, vegetables, and yogurt come back into focus. On Saturdays, all the dried fruits, potatoes, and chips start calling from the pantry. The possibilities are as enticing as the flavors. The idea of eating six handfuls of blueberries is more appealing than the blueberries themselves. Well, almost more appealing. There is so much pressure on Saturday. So much pressure to moderate, to choose, and to do it right. After all, it's the last chance I'll have until next Saturday.

But enough pontification. Let's talk carbs. The three foods I miss most on Steak and Eggs are popcorn, oatmeal, and dairy. I knew I would have to hit those three hard on carb day. I lifted weights in the morning and had a big bowl of oatmeal with kefir, whey protein powder, maple syrup, and butter. It soothed from the inside out. After that my lady and I went and saw the new Star Trek (it impressed) along with fistfulls of lovely lovely popcorn. We had our supper planned days out: burrito night. I had marinated overnight four chicken breasts in olive oil, onions, garlic, adobo sauce, guajillo chiles, cilantro, and enough Kosher salt to make the marinade a brine. The chicken was grilled, chopped, and wrapped in warm tortillas with lettuce, jalapeños, roasted salsa, monterey cheese, kefir, refried beans, and sautéed bell pepper and red onions. On the side were blue tortilla chips and fresh guacamole and my favorite Flying Dog pale ale to wash it all down. It was piquant, tangy, crunchy and juicy. The perfect burrito. Dessert was our homemade blueberry frozen yogurt, which struck the perfect balance between tart and sweet.

I ended up going back for a second burrito, which turned out to be a grievous indiscretion. I would spend the rest of the evening catatonic on the couch, moaning like a pregnant bear. But it was all worth it. Today I'm content. Ready for more steak and more eggs. I had meant to take pictures but the food was scarcely on the plate long enough to be shot. What can I say? I was hungry.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-19-2013 at 07:50 AM.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Wow. Those burritos sounds ridiculously delicious. I too try to make my food model for me but it almost always seems to want to get in my belly faster than I can whip out my camera.

I'm making puttanesca sauce on my refeed on Friday - tomatoes, capers, olives, garlic, etc. Over spaghetti squash. With freshly grated romano cheese on top. With a glass of wine. And also making fish chowder with the fish my husband caught - bluefish and striped bass, direct from the beach on Long Beach Island in NJ, with potatoes, clams, fresh cream, butter and bacon. Mmmm.

No, I'm not planning it ahead or anything, why do you think that?

DBM
    DBM is offline Junior Member
    Wow ajm thats a great refeed, I've never really done a planned refeed. I will have to change that and see if that helps me stay on track the rest of the time. Thanks for the insights and motivation.
    Thanks little vase, just the first week allthough I've been working at koto/primal for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Wow. Those burritos sounds ridiculously delicious. I too try to make my food model for me but it almost always seems to want to get in my belly faster than I can whip out my camera.

I'm making puttanesca sauce on my refeed on Friday - tomatoes, capers, olives, garlic, etc. Over spaghetti squash. With freshly grated romano cheese on top. With a glass of wine. And also making fish chowder with the fish my husband caught - bluefish and striped bass, direct from the beach on Long Beach Island in NJ, with potatoes, clams, fresh cream, butter and bacon. Mmmm.

No, I'm not planning it ahead or anything, why do you think that?
    Mmmm. Y'know substituting squash for pasta is one of those rare primal/paleo swaps that actually ends up better in the end. Done properly, the squash has more texture and more flavor than pasta. I guess it loses out in the convenience and price departments, but I think it's worth it.

Also, making chowder from fish you caught is just fantastic. Everyone should do their best to live off the land in some way. Now I want chowder, so thanks for that

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Great refeed. Actually it matches the 70s refeeds that were legendary. Refeeds were treated like a contest to see how much people could eat and oftern started on Saturday nights. Sunday was a rest day from working out, they just ate. Not much attention was paid to macros, ice cream, fruit pies, pizza, almost anything went, but come Monday morning they were very bloated but it was back to serious business and intense workouts. The bloat was all gone by Tuesday night and they had gained some muscle and fat burning was reved up.

I've decided to start tracking my weight daily and posting it here. All weights are taken in the morning, after toilet and before fluids. Here are some important time points:

05/04 - Day 01: 175.4 lbs.
    05/11 - Day 08: 171.2 lbs. (first refeed: 4.2 lbs lost on S&E)
    05/12 - Day 09: 177.4 lbs. (first day after first refeed: +6.2 lbs)
    05/15 - Day 12: 170.2 lbs. (weight returns to pre-refeed levels)
    05/18 - Day 15: 169.0 lbs. (second refeed: 6.4 lbs lost on S&E)
    05/19 - Day 16: 174.2 lbs. (first day after second refeed: + 5.2 lbs)

Good morning, everyone. The scale says 172.2 this morning, so water weight is coming off as planned. I am beginning a new training regimen today - Wendler's 5/3/1. I couldn't be more excited. I have been using RPT programming with deadlift, bench press, and squat for about a year now and it has done great things for me. I started at about 13% body fat last June, bloated up to ~20% this past winter, and now I'm down to around 13-14% again. Hopefully S&E will get me all the way down to 11-12%. I will repeat the same 5/3/1 cycle (i.e. I will not increase my calculated 1RMs) and diet until I'm satisfactorily lean.

For you dieters who aren't lean (10%/18%) yet aren't fat (20%/30%), I would recommend you read the Truth About Bulking. In particular, the lines that stood out to me for us S&E'rs:

Bodybuilders from the 60s and 70s relied on steak, whole milk, and eggs when bulking up. They ate a ton of it, but it was still good, nutrient-dense food. Nowadays, bodybuilders focus on fast food, pizza, donuts, pastries, etc. when bulking up. So while in both cases the amount of food consumed is large, the quality of the food was much different.
    Mildly relevant, but still made me happy. I know we're not "bulking" but it's cool to imagine all those guys downing meat and eggs rather than pizzas and shakes. And most of all:

It's most likely due to what I call the ''lean threshold.'' You see, there's a point (a certain body fat percentage) where you start to look lean (around 10% for most men). There's also a point where you start to look fat (around 18-20% for most men). Then in between you have a certain zone where you basically look the same; you aren't lean enough to look defined so you don't really have any muscle separation.

At that point, even if you gain a few pounds of fat, you won't visually see the difference. This is compounded by the fact that you're seeing yourself every day, so you might not notice the small changes in appearance. Most men won't be able to see a visual difference in muscularity between 13 and 16%. But if you're 200 pounds, going from 13 to 16% body fat can mean a six pound gain in fat!
    Sorry about the lack of comparable body fat numbers for women - I didn't write the article, after all. But this is an excellent point. If you're in that awkward region between lean and chubby, then it's quite tough to accurately estimate your body fat %. As the author of that article points out, your muscles and your body look very different when you're dieting. Personally, I'm sick of having flat muscles and a mushy stomach. But let's apply the principles of his article to me. Prior to this diet, I was about 16% body fat (estimated using past DEXA scans, caliper measurements, and careful tracking of weight for years). So: day 1 of steak and eggs:

175.4 pounds, 147.3 lbs LBM, 28.1 lbs fat = 16.0% body fat

Now, I've estimated that I'm eating around 1,600 calories on S&E days, and at least 3,000 on my refeed days. So say I've eaten 25,200 calories in two weeks. My TDEE is ~2,400, meaning I've eaten at a 8,400 calorie deficit in two weeks. I'm comfortable assuming that ~95% of the weight lost is fat, so that's roughly 2.5 pounds of fat loss in two weeks. Ballpark yes, but let's just see. My current, semi-carbloaded weight is 172.2 pounds. That's a net loss of 3.2 pounds! Looks good to me. So what's my new estimated BF%?

172.2 pounds, 147.2 lbs LBM, 25 lbs fat = 14.5% body fat!

Now how does this relate to the article? Well, I like to imagine I'm seeing more definition in the mirror but honestly, it's all in my head. Yes, I look fantastic shirtless in the gym with its overhead lighting while I'm doing weighted chinups, dripping sweat. But honestly looking at myself in the mirror when I'm brushing my teeth before bed? I look the exact same. Sure, I might notice some really minor differences in how my muscles look or where my veins are. But all that vanishes the moment I have a cheeseburger and a beer. But I'm OK with this! I don't expect a major change in going from 16-13% body fat. The scale is going down, I'm getting strong.

Those of us doing this diet are desperate to see improvements on a day-to-day basis. Whether we like to admit it or not, this diet requires lots of willpower, and we expect a proportionate return on our efforts. But it's unlikely that 2-3 weeks on even this extreme of a diet are likely to effect real change. The kind of change where you look just as good lounging shirtless on your couch as you do posing in front of the bedroom mirror with the lamp angled just perfectly. If you believe you're seeing these kinds of actual changes on S&E, awesome. Keep it up. But if you're not, that's ok too. The important thing is that you stick with your diet be patient.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-20-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast