Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Even More Steak and Eggs: Plus Plants vs. Animals! page 10

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to work with a guy who imagined himself a serious cyclist. No equipment or accessory was too expensive. I think he had a 50" waistline.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    While it was great to see so many cyclists on the roads, I was sad to see so many of my plump, soft coworkers mowing down Au Bon Pain bagels and bread loaves smothered in Nutella and Jif. Time to carb up! I live right near a popular road for weekend warrior cyclists and it's really quite amazing how fat they all are. Watching a herd of jerseys fly by on a Sunday morning is really a sight. For every lithe, trim man or woman there are eight sagging mustachioed middle managers slurping down energy gel. Cycling a few miles a week really entitles these people to hork down all this food when they quite plainly have loads of energy filling out their skintight club jerseys. And I'm sure they wonder why they don't lose weight.
    My gym has a pizza night. And a bagel morning. It's a real assault on the nostrils and eyeballs to be working out near the feeding frenzy. And who wants to smell food while they work out?? Not me. I've never been there for the pizza night but I can just imagine what that's like. The bagel morning is a horror show. And every bagel morning, there's one boy in his late teens who is at least 100 lbs overweight, who eats his bagel laden with cream cheese as he pedals on the exercise bike. And then when he's done he goes back and gets another, and comes back to the bike, hops on, and eats that one. I'm sure he thinks he's "carbing up" and that somehow it's good for him.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    My gym has a pizza night. And a bagel morning. It's a real assault on the nostrils and eyeballs to be working out near the feeding frenzy. And who wants to smell food while they work out?? Not me. I've never been there for the pizza night but I can just imagine what that's like. The bagel morning is a horror show. And every bagel morning, there's one boy in his late teens who is at least 100 lbs overweight, who eats his bagel laden with cream cheese as he pedals on the exercise bike. And then when he's done he goes back and gets another, and comes back to the bike, hops on, and eats that one. I'm sure he thinks he's "carbing up" and that somehow it's good for him.
    This saddens me. Only a few months ago I held a particularly contemptuous view of fat people. Apathetic and shameless. After all, I'd lost 40 pounds since graduating college and I did that without a gym membership, a personal trainer, fad diets, or self-help books. Discipline, common sense, and moderation. Why, I thought, can't all these fat people just put down the fork?

These days I don't wholly blame overweight people for being overweight. Sure, most Americans are lazy and close-minded and at least partially accountable for their own unwell being. But it's really an uphill battle against Big Agro, Big Fitness, and even Big Pharma. Three massively powerful industry groups who live on fat Americans who stay fat. I'm sure your friend BagleBike thinks he's doing the right thing. I used to. I was once a very bright, independently minded and motivated fat guy with bad information. Six tupperware meals a day, 8-11 servings of whole grains, 4 pieces of fruit and 60 minutes of elliptical machine. I wasn't being lazy - I was actively trying to transform myself according to the available advice. It was only through some chance encounter with leangains.com that set me on the right path.

And I must say the idea of working out in the presence of food I find particularly insulting. I find I cannot eat anything within 3 hours of lifting weights. Otherwise I get nauseous. I would be an unhappy man in your gym.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Another great well written log. You really should give consideration to writing a book someday. Congrats on the weight loss (fat loss) and body change!
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    This. I really look forward to your updates, ajm. You definitely have a way with words.
    You're too kind. I'm having so much fun chronicling my experience and interacting with intelligent primal people that I'm considering starting a blog. After steak and eggs I intend on starting a long-term fitness experiment. If I did begin a blog, it would be a weekly-or-so journal of intermittent fasting, 90% primal diet, 5/3/1 training, and various hormesis experiments. Even if nobody reads, it'll be a good place to practice my writing and track my progress.

Pklopp of MDA Intermittent Fasting fame keeps a blog here, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. If I decide to give it a go I'll post a link here.
    Until then, STEAK AND EGGS.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Our gym has an association with a Greek take away joint. 10% off your orders.

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    You're too kind. I'm having so much fun chronicling my experience and interacting with intelligent primal people that I'm considering starting a blog. After steak and eggs I intend on starting a long-term fitness experiment. If I did begin a blog, it would be a weekly-or-so journal of intermittent fasting, 90% primal diet, 5/3/1 training, and various hormesis experiments. Even if nobody reads, it'll be a good place to practice my writing and track my progress.

Pklopp of MDA Intermittent Fasting fame keeps a blog here, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. If I decide to give it a go I'll post a link here.
    Until then, STEAK AND EGGS.
    I'd read it.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Our gym has an association with a Greek take away joint. 10% off your orders.
    Gym here in Arlington just installed...a soda machine

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=little vase;1193852]My gym has a pizza night. And a bagel morning. It's a real assault on the nostrils and eyeballs to be working out near the feeding frenzy. And who wants to smell food while they work out?? Not me. I've never been there for the pizza night but I can just imagine what that's like. The bagel morning is a horror show. And every bagel morning, there's one boy in his late teens who is at least 100 lbs overweight, who eats his bagel laden with cream cheese as he pedals on the exercise bike. And then when he's done he goes back and gets another, and comes back to the bike, hops on, and eats that one. I'm sure he thinks he's "carbing up" and that somehow it's good for him.[/QUOTE

I would give the Gym owner a copy of 'Wheat Belly' and ask whether its a good idea to be promoting a heavy carb diet.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I used to work with a guy who imagined himself a serious cyclist. No equipment or accessory was too expensive. I think he had a 50" waistline.
    Was it this guy I saw while out hiking a couple of months ago? He poked at his phone for like 30 minutes straight...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Back to steak and eggs talk.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Preparation for carb day: homemade blueberry frozen yogurt!

1. Combine blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Heat for a bit, and mash it all together.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899400.863265.jpg

2. Mix in homemade yogurt (full fat, of course).

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899416.817581.jpg

3. OK, you caught me. I added heavy cream. Deal with it.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899432.010054.jpg

4. After chilling overnight, prepare ice cream maker, and churn!

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899448.028292.jpg

5. Bliss.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368899458.318494.jpg

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast