Thread: Feedback on my triathlon race day nutrition page

Jazzpants25 is offline Junior Member

Feedback on my triathlon race day nutrition

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone. Brand new to the forum, but I have been primal for a little over a year and a half.

I have been training for my first triathlon (Olympic distance) since February, approx. 3 months. I've used gels and shot bloks for training so far, but I would really like to see if I can do the event without having to use any engineered foods. Tomorrow will be my first training day where I actually do more mileage than the event, and I want to test out the following nutrition to see how it works.

Could you guys give me feedback based on your own experiences in doing a triathlon completely primal?

* I am 25, female, about 114 lbs

Breakfast (about 2 hours before I get in the water)
    3 eggs and a banana - 382 calories, 28 g carbs, 20.1 g protein

Before Swim - 1.1mile swim
    2 Dried Papaya spears - 100 calories, 26 g carbs, 2 g protein

T1
    1 banana - 105 calories, 27 g carbs, 1.3 g protein

Bike - 40 miles
    10 dried apricots spread out during the ride - 200 calories, 48 g carbs, .16 g protein

T2
    1 banana - 105 calories, 27 g carbs, 1.3 g protein

RUN - 8 miles
    2 Dried Papaya spears - 100 calories, 26 g carbs, 2 g protein

Post Workout
    Protein Shake with a cup of strawberries - 138 calories, 12.2 g carbs, 24.8 g protein

Totals
    1130 calories, 194carbs, 49.1 protein

What do you all think?
    Last edited by Jazzpants25; 05-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I've never done a primal tri... But I've done over 10 triathlons including 1/2 IMs.

Is it hot where you are? My biggest issue doing tris (non-paleo - this was 10 years ago) was always salt. I used to run with pretzels (for half IM) and I took electrolyte pills too.

Just out of curiosity, are you fat adapted at all...? Just wondering if you could do without eating so often. Between your pre-swim and T1 there will only be 30 minutes or so. Do you really need to eat again so soon? What if you had a fattier breakfast - maybe add some extra egg yolks - and then tried to make it to the bike (rolling buffet) before eating again.

I rarely ate during olympics. I probably had gatorade on the bike, but that would be it. Breakfast was a DD bagel with cream cheese and a Snickers bar though

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I also think that you don't need this much food. I have only done one (pre-primal) 1/2 marathon, so I'm not an expert. Gels and shot blocks are fairly clean. Mark has said that endurance activities are one time when sugar is ok. Gels and shot blocks are designed for racing. Bananas are not.

The most important thing is to experiment before the event. Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    I also think that you don't need this much food. I have only done one (pre-primal) 1/2 marathon, so I'm not an expert. Gels and shot blocks are fairly clean. Mark has said that endurance activities are one time when sugar is ok. Gels and shot blocks are designed for racing. Bananas are not.

The most important thing is to experiment before the event. Good luck!
    Thank you guys!

I definitely could not handle food during my practice tri today. I was fine for the swim and cycle, but by the time I got to the run I was pretty much walking. My stomach was not having it. I think I may just go ahead and use gels and bloks for race day. Most of my other training sessions are not as intensive and wouldn't require any nutrition beyond a good lunch and some protein afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    I've never done a primal tri... But I've done over 10 triathlons including 1/2 IMs.

Is it hot where you are? My biggest issue doing tris (non-paleo - this was 10 years ago) was always salt. I used to run with pretzels (for half IM) and I took electrolyte pills too.

Just out of curiosity, are you fat adapted at all...? Just wondering if you could do without eating so often. Between your pre-swim and T1 there will only be 30 minutes or so. Do you really need to eat again so soon? What if you had a fattier breakfast - maybe add some extra egg yolks - and then tried to make it to the bike (rolling buffet) before eating again.

I rarely ate during olympics. I probably had gatorade on the bike, but that would be it. Breakfast was a DD bagel with cream cheese and a Snickers bar though

I am in Texas where it is extremely hot. I run and cycle with an electrolyte tab in my water bottle.

Having been primal for over a year I assume that I am fat adapted. During a normal training day where I am doing 1 or 2 sports (versus all 3) I usually eat less than 60 grams of carbs, and tons of fats and protein. The extra fatty breakfast may be a good option but I guess my concern would be bathroom issues mid race lol. I'm going to try it out though definitely.

I bet you are too. Which I think would mean you don't need so many carbs race day. How do you feel during your bricks? If you can bike 25 and run 5ish on 60g of carbs I think you'll be good for your race on a good breakfast and some carbs during your race (as in less than 200 g ). Do you have another long training day to try it? Good luck!

wsh612 is offline Junior Member
    I completed a sprint tri x2 in the past month and ate 1/2 a banana prior to. I was hungry afterwards, but not starving and my energy level was constant.

Probably most people eat more than I did/do- and I realize the olympic is double the distance. But I practice longer distances also putting all three together a few times a week and do it fine without eating before.

How'd the race go?