Thread: are Red or pink peppercorns nightshades? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

are Red or pink peppercorns nightshades?

Primal Fuel
    I have this peppercorn blend grinder that has black green white an red peppercorns in it and i was concerned about the the red peppercorn. After doing a bit of looking around most of the time something is listed as red peppercorn it is usually a pink peppercorn. pink peppercorns are not peppercorns at all but berries. I just recently learned that goji berries are nightshades so now im leery of anything listed as a berry that isnt a traditional fruit as being a nightshade.

but im unsure if this label as red peppercorn doesn't possibly mean red pepper. as in cayenne?

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    I doubt it. Peppers that are peppercorns are the fruit of tropical vines from India. AFAIK, they are not nightshade family. Cayenne pepper is. Read what this article says about red and pink peppercorns, among others.
    Pepper and Peppercorn Varieties

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    No, pink peppercorns are a member of the family Anacardiaceae( Schinus molle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), not Solanaceae... which encompasses all the nightshades. ( Solanaceae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Hmmm this the grinder I have

Buy Organic Peppercorn Medley Grinders Online and Save! Red Monkey Foods

They list hint of bell pepper in the info box. I guess there red peppercorns or green are bell peppers? Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Hmmm this the grinder I have

Buy Organic Peppercorn Medley Grinders Online and Save! Red Monkey Foods

They list hint of bell pepper in the info box. I guess there red peppercorns or green are bell peppers? Bummer.
    No. The ingredients list.
    There are no "bell peppers" in that grinder. Only black, white, and green peppercorns (piper nigrum). The three colors are from being processed at three stages of ripeness, and also by removing the outer coating for the white ones.
    The pink/red peppercorns in the grinder are as posted above... shinus molle. A peppery flavored berry that resembles the peppercorn.

None of them are nightshades.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

But read the description box. It mentions bell peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    But read the description box. It mentions bell peppers.
    Not on the ingredients list... can you see flat flakes of bell peppers.
    Peppercorns are round seeds.
    If there is bell pepper in there it will be in flat-ish dried flakes. It should be obvious.
    I don't see that in the enlarged photo, but that might be deceptive.

If you are seriously concerned toss that one(or give it to a friend who does not have nightshade issues) and get an new one that is only peppercorns, or purchase it in a store so that you can inspect it for flakes of bell pepper before purchase.

This is the first grinder, or peppercorn blend, I've ever seen that included bell pepper flakes... so it should be easier to find one without them than if you had attempted the reverse. LOL
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Not on the ingredients list... can you see flat flakes of bell peppers.
    Peppercorns are round seeds.
    If there is bell pepper in there it will be in flat-ish dried flakes. It should be obvious.
    I don't see that in the enlarged photo, but that might be deceptive.

If you are seriously concerned toss that one(or give it to a friend who does not have nightshade issues) and get an new one that is only peppercorns, or purchase it in a store so that you can inspect it for flakes of bell pepper before purchase.

This is the first grinder, or peppercorn blend, I've ever seen that included bell pepper flakes... so it should be easier to find one without them than if you had attempted the reverse. LOL
    there are no flakes in the grinder and im going to use it but i still have reservations about them even mentioning bell peppers in the description.