Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet books for gifts? page

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member

Diet books for gifts?

Is it rude or insensitive to give a diet book as a present? I have a friend that's turning 50 and I am considering getting her The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation (she likes things that are concise), we've talked a lot about primal over the 3 years that I've been eating this way and for a while she tried it and had some success, but she never read any books or visited the website as far as I know. I know she wants to lose weight and is concerned about her health. She is open to primal but needs support, she is semi-vegetarian, eats fish, bacon and occasionally meat, but her husband and sons are vegetarian (though her older son has started trying meat).
    I'm thinking if the book is around it might give her the extra nudge to stick to it. Also her 15 yr old son may be interested too since he recently started experimenting with eating meat and is getting interested in health.

Or should I just get her some earrings? I have to decide soon because her Bday is next week and will probably have to order the book.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't unless she had expressed interest. But I'm sure some people in her position would accept such a gift without taking offense.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I have been giving gifts of 3 books. The 21 day transformation, primal mind and the Gnolls Credo. Nobody has complained yet.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Forager!

Me - I would get her both, honestly. The earrings as her "real" birthday gift, and then the book just because you think she might find it useful. She couldn't really get a case of the bad-birthday-gift feelings that way, no matter what frame of mind she should find herself in on the day ("accept me as I am" or "thanks for the boost!").

I really don't think you will have any problems, tho, as you do practice what you preach and your friend knows you are Primal, so no "hidden messages" are there.

Are you all going out to celebrate, hmmm?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Hey CC,

The day before her birthday I'm going with her and another friend to a day spa. On her birthday she's having a group of friends join her on the beach, she's asked us to each bring a bead and we will make her a necklace. I imagine her other friends will get her nice gifts so it's not like my gift will be the only one. I'd love to get her both but with the spa, (lunch out too probably) and all it's going to add up.

She's asked me a lot of questions about primal in the past and she's said many times she thought she could stay primal if she had me to cook for her, like my husband does. Unfortunately she's lives 1 1/2 hrs away so I don't see her that often.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Noooooo. Bad idea. Even worse than giving her clothes. Stick to the earrings.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A 50th birthday gift should not be a weightloss book. Earrings.

And honestly, she is aware of primal, if she wanted the books, I assume she would buy them.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You might give her the books for no occasion at all, if you've bought them yourself, in the guise of "lending" them, because she has expressed some interest.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you insist on doing this, I might give it to her when no one else was around. Honestly, if I got that for a gift I'd think you were saying, "Way to get to 50, but you're fat!" (Sing to "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.")
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, thanks for the input, I'll just get her some earrings. Maybe I'll lend her the book at another time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast