Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does anybody else feel really stupid page 4

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Dodger! I am seriously not trying to turn this into a political or homeschool debate, as this family does homeschool, but I believe one root of the problem is in our way of raising up kids. If you think back to your childhood years - when, if at all, were you (and all of us, actually) actually outright encouraged and/or specifically taught and rewarded to question and truly think for yourself? I absolutely do notmean a "f*** authority" attitude at all, just question. Honestly, I had to learn all that as an adult.

We are so indoctrinated to just ingest what our leaders and teachers and church(wo)men tell us, with specific negative consequences attached, if we regurgitated it wrongly, that it takes most of us a lot of time before we figure out that the people giving us our info aren't always right. Neither are they always, always wrong, but still.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What now makes me mad is that I can't opt out of this disease management (healthcare) system if I don't want it. I have no use for common medical care. Maybe if I get in a crash or fall off a mountain or get half-eaten by a wild animal I'll need it, but I have no need for cholesterol checks and crap like that. It makes me angry to see how everyone accepts as common all these degenerative diseases, too. All health care is anymore is testing for common degenerative diseases and treating the symptoms.

What I don't understand is how you can continue in your career, CarbDodger. It must be killing you to bite your tongue all day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    No, I've been following alternative medicine and health for over 20 years.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Conspiracy or not, the end results have been the same. US government comes out with eating guidelines, food companies make processed crap that people eat thinking they are (somewhat) following those guidelines, they get "hooked" on the processed carbs, they get sick and fat.

They go to the doctors, who are trained to either prescribe drugs and/or do surgeries, they take the (heavily advertised and hyped) drugs, they get sicker. The medical profession creates customers, not cures. The evidence makes that statement obvious.

Is this a well planned and executed conspiracy to keep us sick and hooked on CW?

Does it make any difference?

The results are the same, planned or not.
    Excellent summary.

The USA is a machine that functions to increase GDP, even if it means cannibalizing human health. There isn't necessarily anyone at the wheel of the machine.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes, by leaving my career I'd be abandoning any chance of sharing new information. Plus I've done more good than harm in my career; nutritional advice is a minor part of our work. What we have done instead is to remove all the governments information from our displays and put them in a folder and in other sections of the folder we have put together information such as primal; paleo; wheatbelly; newcastle low carb and calorie. As we are reading research it gets incorporated. I cant formally promote any thing other than government directives but we can give people the information that's out there that they aren't exposed to currently so they can have a more informed choice.
    My oncology nutritionist is coming to talk to us about healthy eating choices next month and we expect to have a full house. Many of our clients families are coming in too.
    I may not be able to promote the lifestyle i am currently living but my clients and staff are aware of what I am doing. We eat together so they see what I eat and i explain the principles behind it and we have the written information for them to browse through or borrow if they want. They also see me looking better week by week- getting thinner, my colours better, my skins healthier, my hairs shining again. I have more energy, I laugh more because I feel better.The people i work with are older adults with mental health problems but they are far from stupid and quite able to put things together. They know I have cancer and its pretty obvious i feel pretty good at the moment.
    Their menu choices are changing, more meat and vegetables, hardly any bread. we now have a fruit bowl at work for them to help themselves. We still provide biscuits but they asked for garibaldi (an old fashioned dry biscuit unsweetened, which is like a dried fruit sandwich [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garibal...cuit]Garibaldi biscuit ). Most opt for them which is a better choice than things stuffed with hfcs etc. but whereas before they may have had a few they only take 1 or 2 but have strawberries, cherries or a peach as well or instead.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-14-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Erik W is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    It is amazing actually from what I ve read/seen since I began to follow primal eating - the endemic misinformation regarding what constitutes healthy eating has really only been around since the 1950 s and yet what a difference it has made to our societies. Also it would appear that when we talk about food production, the profit worshipping free market has done little to aid our physical health and is unlikely to, given that the cheapest ingredients - grains -give rise to the biggest profits. And then when people get ill further profits from selling medications...
    Yes, the non-profit-worshipping communist leaders in Eastern Europe did soo much more to promote their peoples' health. That's why they dumped toxic chemicals and even nuclear waste straight in the lakes, and didn't give a damn about teaching people nutrition. Because they weren't profit driven, so they really cared.

The farmer who sells good eggs and lettuce is profit driven, by the way. He wants the food to be the best possible so people will come back. The curse of the greedy market: that people want to sell good products because they want customers to come back. How dare they! Clearly food production is too important to be left in capitalist hands, it should be controlled by the state, so that it's not profit driven.

And think of that guy Mark Sisson, who sells books teaching healthy living. To get money! We must reject such a greedy profit-driven business, because profit leads to unhealthy products! Right?

So say those who have never run a business and don't understand what they are talking about.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W View Post
    So say those who have never run a business and don't understand what they are talking about.
    I sort of agree with you but there is still some major flaws in our "reward systems". Think about what it is that you consider as being a "profit" ... money ? customer "loyalty" ? praise of your products ? What is it exactly ?

Shouldn't a decent reward system also include the well-being of the users / consumers as much as (if not more than) money returns to the providers ?

I really think this is a major flaw: profits in terms of money seem to wipe everything else that could also be included as a true reward in the business deal: wellness, satisfaction, sustainability, etc, etc. The so-called free-markets only encourage profit of a narrow kind, and while it is necessary for the producers to get some returns for what they provide, it is not sufficient AT ALL.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    I really think this is a major flaw: profits in terms of money seem to wipe everything else that could also be included as a true reward in the business deal: wellness, satisfaction, sustainability, etc, etc. The so-called free-markets only encourage profit of a narrow kind, and while it is necessary for the producers to get some returns for what they provide, it is not sufficient AT ALL.
    All this is true.

These are called "externalities" in my field. Negative impact on human health is just an externality, an "oops", and doesn't stand in the way of making profit.

When I conduct a financial analysis for a firm they only want to see profit, there is no analysis of impact on humans or the environment and a valuation on that damage. They say it can't be done because it is too complicated, but it's not too complicate for me, they just don't care because they aren't motivated to care, they are only motivated to increase the stock price.

You really just need to dismantle the corporation and put a better incentive system in place. The current one REQUIRES the decision that maximizes profit to be chosen, even if the externality eradicates the human race.

That doesn't make sense.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I had a major ah-hah! when I found this WOE. I ate much like this as a kid. I had a therapist try to push me in this direction as a high-schooler. I was VERY close to Primal freshman year in college when I felt my best. Now I'm coming back to it because I know that if I can get my crap together to actually get all the way back on the wagon, I will lose weight and feel good doing it. But the more I immerse myself here, the more I question other things. It can make a good life, but it does not make an easy one.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    maybe not easy in some ways but it certainly makes one think
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234