Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody else feel really stupid page 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Anarchy for the win..... not even kidding.

silentmercy is offline Junior Member
    Stupid? No. Hoodwinked, yes. I felt betrayed too once I discovered paleo and its benefits. I work on paying it forward and starting my own paleo pyramid. I tell someone, they tell 2 others and so on.

I am grateful to teach my 13 year old son what good food really is. He will teach his children.

He still binges on junk at times, I expect him too. How else will he learn how he feels eating paleo vs not. He is still a kid and why not have pizza or ice cream every now and again. He understands it bad for him, but is ok as a treat.

He is learning how certain foods make his stomach hurt and make him tired. He is on his own journey of self discovery.

I think this will prepare him when he leaves home and makes his own nutritional decisions.

I am just happy to have found this lifestyle. As one poster said many people stumble blind to the grave following the herd.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not so much stupid as willfully lazy. My bad. It's in my past. I grew up in a culture of "question authority," and got lazy as I got older. That's done now. I guess even in my cynicism, I never expected my govt to sell out something as fundamental as my good health. Because of how I live my life, I'm often caught short when people do things for money that are so disgusting, that to me they would be bad plots for B movies.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It's a global frankenfood carb conspiracy started by bacon hating Jews and approved undercover by the UN!!! So we are all doomed whether we lives in the US, Canada, Europe, Russia or South-America, and soon comes the Apocalypsis, and no more butter and bacon in the supermarkeds...

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silentmercy View Post
    I am grateful to teach my 13 year old son what good food really is. He will teach his children.
    Exactly right.

In terms of the government versus big business debate, we know that there are elements of both that are bad for the public's health hence we do need to retain the power to excersise self sufficiency in our food choices.

But the good news is that we can develop the ability to take from both business and government what helps us and ignore what doesn't. For example, I still use supermarkets and convenience stores. I try not to but I do use them, they sometimes sell some good fresh food products. Another example, in the UK, the health authority has run the 'five a day' campaign for the last few years, encouraging people to get at least five small portions of fruit and veg per day. It doesn't come close to what I think they should be saying, but I applaud it nonetheless. It must have taken some serious negotiation from people to even get this out there.

And the trajectory is in the right direction. Advertising and packaging of sugary foods and drinks now have to come with health warnings. Coca Cola's adverts are becoming a confusing mixture of 'drink this but don't drink TOO much of it', much to my amusement.

And we have a choice in terms of how we can see ourselves: Either as a downtrodden minority who know they are right but are having to become defensive and exclusive in order to maintain our way of living (and some people do find this mentality attractive), hiding behing the sandbags to stem the assualt of government and big business ignorance, idiocy and intolerance, OR we can see ourselves as leaders - people who have embraced the truth about nutrition and are able via our actions alone, to influence the health of the whole of our society for the better, able to bring a message that does it's own legwork - it can be demonstrated rather than merely discussed. There is ultimately no substance to the idea that humans can make better food than nature, it is beginning to collapse, I can see it hapening now, and we are at the leading edge of this realisation, that will spread further, until it's just a facet of common knowledge. In 50 years time, frankenfoods could very well be a rarity.

So the question is - are you prepared for this way of life to become normal? If we are currently a happy minority, we aren't likely to remain one for much longer.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Don't feel stupid. There was a conspiracy to misinform you. You did the best you could under the circumstances. Feel good that you have finally seen through the subterfuge.
    Conspiracy or not, the end results have been the same. US government comes out with eating guidelines, food companies make processed crap that people eat thinking they are (somewhat) following those guidelines, they get "hooked" on the processed carbs, they get sick and fat.

They go to the doctors, who are trained to either prescribe drugs and/or do surgeries, they take the (heavily advertised and hyped) drugs, they get sicker. The medical profession creates customers, not cures. The evidence makes that statement obvious.

Is this a well planned and executed conspiracy to keep us sick and hooked on CW?

Does it make any difference?

The results are the same, planned or not.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I don't feel really stupid ... I think it is fair from you to have accepted as genuine wisdom what you were taught. On the other hand, it is absolutely unfair that one is taught absolute crap in the disguise of wisdom and purposefully. So don't knock your head too hard, it is not really your fault. And remember: nutritional science is much much worse in terms of knowledge gathering than say fundamental physics or mathematics for obvious reasons. But in all this, it is always better to apply critical thinking, something that modern schools are not exactly encouraging in kids ...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    thanks for all these thoughts, i appreciate them and don't feel quite so bad about it. I'm glad I discovered this way of life. My blood sugars are pretty good now; always in the 8s. I know this isn't perfect but when I consider a month ago I couldn't get even the fasting levels below 13 its pretty damn good.
    those of you who suggest sharing this knowledge will be pleased to know I am and i'm a pretty good advert really. My family, friends, colleagues and patients have seen me drop 25lbs in under 4 weeks, regain control of my blood sugar in that same month and I look a heap better. My skin is so clear, my hair shines like glass and is growing like a weed and my nails are growing like talons ( is don't think I'm turning into werewolf but I'll keep you informed!)
    3 of my staff have started the lifestyle and my vegetarian friend is introducing fish to her diet and giving up wheat but replacing it with rye.
    its probably too late to expect it to alter the outcome of my cancer but at least I don't feel ill any more
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.

whitegirlinasia is offline Junior Member
    I didn't feel stupid. I just felt lied to. Though thinking about the people who invented the conspiracy eating according to their own guidelines always makes me feel a little better.

I think I felt the most angry after reading Wheat Belly and The Omnivore's Dilemma. I had no idea I had been eating GMOs and that NONE of it had been tested for human consumption. Traditional wheat really wasn't THAT bad for you, and then they went and screwed with it's DNA and it exploded it's GI and gluten content.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by whitegirlinasia View Post
    Traditional wheat really wasn't THAT bad for you, and then they went and screwed with it's DNA and it exploded it's GI and gluten content.
    Yeah, all that in order to solve the starvation issue in countries where it is a big issue. Then it was probably found that this modern strain of wheat had other effects than just yielding 10 times more than older strains ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast