Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody else feel really stupid page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    The more I read, the more stupid I feel. I'm not stupid really; I am a healthcare professional, have 2 degree's (3 if I count my nursing) and a masters. I know how to critically think and critique research.
    I cannot imagine why I have accepted so much doctrine without challenging it and without even really thinking about it. I've even taught it to others. I feel heartsick,angry and betrayed and so f-ing stupid.
    Yes, but mostly I felt very angry at being so deceived. Now that I've gotten over the anger, I more often feel stupid at the many failures of my N=1 experiments. (And a bit angry that although I pay for full doctor's and medical care, I have to do these experiments without guidance.)
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Owen is online now Senior Member
    I also believe that we have free will and don't wish to detract from its importance, after all without free will I wouldn't have discovered optimal health benefits from this way of eating and living that is literally transforming my life. So free will is wonderful. So a 34 year old like me eating cereal bars and 'sugar free' stuff that comes in a box? That's my bed to lie in and rightly so. But the people who are encouraged to consume these products aren't 34. They're 8. I was one of them. A lot of us were. A few lucky ones have broken free, and good for us, but we have to educate children about this. We have to protect them. I know that may sound a little dramatic but we are after all discussing the biggest threat to their lives. This isn't just an academic discussion, this is real. The production of unhealthy, chemical-laden 'food' by unfettered multi-national companies is now the largest threat to the life of the average child in the western world, and has been since the 80's.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    No, I'd rather feel good that I now know the truth, or at least the way that works for me.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I couldn't agree more with you Owen! The key is get children to prefer real foods over manufactured foods and the way to do that is to not introduce those manufactured foods while their palate is forming. The producers know that if they can hook kids early they have the possibility of a life long customer. We need to keep kids away from those foods for as long as possible.

I know this works because I have 15 yr. old and he never had fast food, cereal or pizza and now he's not at all interested in them. We weren't primal when he was young but I've always made food from scratch and we never ate frakenfoods. Sure he's had store bought cookies and chips, but they don't have a hold on him, meaning he doesn't have to have them. If you ask him what is his idea of comfort food he will say homemade beef stew.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    It's funny, ever since I've learned to open my mind about nutrition, it's made me start to question absolutely everything. Example: I've always been a straight-and-narrow kind of girl, doing what my parents want and what my professors say, etc etc... lately I've begun to wonder "why?" and it's like my whole life has opened up.
    I've always asked why of almost everything including doctor's and all authorities ( it often has,annoyed professionals and even family/friends - as I'm not supposed to question authority), but from reading and practicing this,way of eating and living the questioning is even higher - even my very critical mind was deceived to some degree, partly by not enough time to check stuff, too much trust, and not wanting to annoy people so much by asking.

I then started to annoy some family ( some of them are medical professionals - and often sick) they are probably harming themselves by following the authorities nutritional guidelines, but after negative feedback from them I now stopped doing that.

Now on the rare occasions I'm asked things from them, I just change the subject, or if I can be bothered I tell them I cant help them as they wont want to hear what I have to say and then change the subject.

I'm now at a point that ANY "authority" is wrong until proven otherwise to me ( again this "arrogance" is annoying to the average person).

mdmoore07 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I would use "free market". Uncontrolled by limits on monopolies and influence-peddling, the "free market" leads to abuses just like this. Why compete freely when your money can buy laws that favor your business? And who really has "free will" to change their situation while their only source of information is misinformation intended to soak them for a profit while destroying their health?
    There are no truly free markets when the government gets to pick winners and losers irregardless of the people's best interest. Governments usually "regulate" the things that interfere with their donor's profits, not the people's well-being. The day you think business is the enemy and gov't is the answer, is the day you've really buried your head in the mainstream sand. The primal way of life is so sexy to me because it is a direct shot at CW and those that lazily follow it--and those people are everywhere("I see dead people"..).
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83744.html

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -Milton Friedman

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmoore07 View Post
    There are no truly free markets when the government gets to pick winners and losers irregardless of the people's best interest. Governments usually "regulate" the things that interfere with their donor's profits, not the people's well-being. The day you think business is the enemy and gov't is the answer, is the day you've really buried your head in the mainstream sand. The primal way of life is so sexy to me because it is a direct shot at CW and those that lazily follow it--and those people are everywhere("I see dead people"..).
    When there is balance between government and business is when everything thrives. The idea that business is our friend and should be allowed to do anything to us they want to is just totally out there. If you prefer to think I've got my head in the sand, go see what Monsanto has in mind for the planet. And keep our numbers exclusive so we will never influence anyone.

mdmoore07 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    When there is balance between government and business is when everything thrives. The idea that business is our friend and should be allowed to do anything to us they want to is just totally out there. If you prefer to think I've got my head in the sand, go see what Monsanto has in mind for the planet. And keep our numbers exclusive so we will never influence anyone.
    We agree, Kat. I just think you are failing to see that the Monsanto's of business are insulated and bolstered by government, not impeded. Government is often the problem, not the solution(especially with nutrition) when you start drilling down on issues. That's not to say that I'm advocating a Ayn Rand orgy of a market, either. Put practically, the entire Paleo movement is fraught with people that do their own research, make their own decisions and eat the foods that Monsanto, the FDA and Michelle Obama claim are poison. To me, Paleo depends on individual responsibility and the power of choice--big governments and big corporations work together to keep people convinced they are too insignificant to exercise either.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83744.html

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -Milton Friedman

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Ya know there was an interesting little blurb I was reading. It was a bit more metaphysical, but I believe the questions could be asked in all areas of interest.

Questions to ask about what you have been told:

What do you want to be true? (what are my biases)
    What do you believe to be true? (how do I believe thinks work i.e. theory)
    What do you know to be true? (what is the "known" variables)
    How do you know it is true? (are some of my truths from less than primary or reputable source.. i.e. biochem 20 years ago)

Self exploration and the discovery of your truth. I may not have quoted this right from it's source, but its my current understanding of using the process.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-05-2013 at 01:53 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmoore07 View Post
    We agree, Kat. I just think you are failing to see that the Monsanto's of business are insulated and bolstered by government, not impeded. Government is often the problem, not the solution(especially with nutrition) when you start drilling down on issues. That's not to say that I'm advocating a Ayn Rand orgy of a market, either. Put practically, the entire Paleo movement is fraught with people that do their own research, make their own decisions and eat the foods that Monsanto, the FDA and Michelle Obama claim are poison. To me, Paleo depends on individual responsibility and the power of choice--big governments and big corporations work together to keep people convinced they are too insignificant to exercise either.
    Because they have bought the lawmakers and judges.

It's kind of like asking whether the chicken or the egg came first. They feed on each other's corruption and greed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast