Thread: Possible to save my teeth? page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Possible to save my teeth?

Primal Fuel
    Alright, as the title might suggest, I was wondering if it was at all possible to reverse the damage to one's teeth? As a young child (up until I was around 8-9), I lived with my grandparents. Unfortunately, they didn't make sure I brushed my teeth, and like many kids, I wasn't hugely into hygiene, and usually forgot to brush, anyway. And so I didn't most the time *thinks back and cringes*. Of course, as I got older, I got into the habit of brushing, but still, considering all the sugary things they stuffed into me, it was somewhat of a double whammy.

Also, up until recently, I've been a very big grain/sugar eater. While eating that way, I often got sores in my mouth, which felt particularly aggravated after eating bread (even 100% whole wheat! *GASP*), or something sugary. I also noticed that carby things (I'm looking at you, pasta!) made my teeth hurt. After eating primal, the sores I used to get I don't anymore, but I'm rather afraid of the kind of damage my diet did to my poor little teeth. I mean, they aren't turning black and rotting out of my mouth or anything, but I cringe at the thought of how many cavities I may have. I haven't been able to go to the dentist since I was like 8, so I really have no idea how bad they are.

So my fellow primals, is it at all possible to regain tooth health? Or am I looking at a pair of dentures by the time I turn 40?

Thanks for any answers!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    damage is only reversible when it's caught very early.

1)floss every time you eat. Every. Time.
    2)brush *very softly*, with a soft brush, for 2-3 minutes, ideally every time you eat - but at least twice per day. flouride toothpaste pm and this awesome xylitol toothpaste am
    3)am and pm routine: floss, waterpik, brush, in that order - do not rinse after brushing topical flouride toothpaste and mouthwashes are supported by the evidence.....flouride varnishes and flouridated water are not.
    4)take 1000 IU vitamin D3 per 25 lbs body weight per day except on the days you're able to get midday, unprotected, full body SUMMER sun to the point just before burning. there is good evidence that sufficient D3 halts production of new cavities.
    5)take a Carlson k2 daily for a month then twice weekly after that. take one of these Natto based K2 the other days. Sufficient K essentially insures that calcium ends up in bones and teeth rather than soft tissues.
    6)note that this diet (and any paleolithic diet) is not meat centered but produce centered. Eat mostly vegetables. A lot of raw and lightly cooked veggies. Your gums and bones need the veggies as much as they need the d3, zinc, magnesium and protein.
    7)get 400-1000 mg magnesium per day and 500-1000 mg calcium per day....more is not better. experiment to see what works best for you. Higher/optimal vitamin D intakes generally mean lower calcium intakes are required.
    8)dental care may be available at a public health department in your area or at a university dental school or college with a dental hygiene program.....check around for affordable options.
    9)the sores you mention sound like canker sores - they may have been caused by b12, folate or iron deficiency.....all of which are being corrected on your current diet.
    10)consider a sonicare toothbrush or higher end oral-B electronic toothbrush

Hope you get some relief soon.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Mahewa is offline Banned

Dental Care

I just wonder why you don't like to have a dental check up? It might be embarrassing later in life, not having any teeth left...
    Last edited by Mahewa; 05-11-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahewa View Post
    I just wonder why you don't like to have a dental check up? It might be embarrassing later in life, not having any teeth left...
    ditto that. Sounds like a trip to the dentist is in order. It's really not as bad as putting it off can be. Oh, and the WaterPik is even better than floss. So I've been told.
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

Quote Originally Posted by Mahewa View Post
    I'm assuming it's not a 'like' or 'not like' situation but a financial one? For many in the US, dental care isn't an option. While a basic cleaning and x-rays only runs 200-300 USD, once you start adding on fillings, crowns and root canals, it's incredibly expensive.

I just had a root canal that was $1200 -and that was the least expensive doc I could find in all of metro atlanta. The rest were 1400-1800 USD. On top of that, a crown is required at 1000-1400 USD.

At minimum, this costs 2200 USD and up to 3200 USD.

there may be clinics available in the OP's community though as I mentioned in my previous post....but getting into those can be difficult.

Many barriers to care exist....many.....

Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by BaconForTheWin View Post
    ditto that. Sounds like a trip to the dentist is in order. It's really not as bad as putting it off can be. Oh, and the WaterPik is even better than floss. So I've been told.
    they're really apples and oranges. a WP will get things floss wont' get and the floss absolutely gets stuff a WP doesn't. The WP is better for chunky food bits that are trapped....the floss gets the slippery beginnings of plaque buildup before it becomes calculus. WP won't get that.
    K

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    See a dentist as soon as you can. It's likely that your gums are in worse shape than your teeth, at least that's how it went for me.

If you keep putting it off, things will likely just get worse and worse.

Good luck. I've been there and I know it's hard, but you need to deal with this.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Yeh, I agree. Even if you can't afford major work, the dentist can do some preventative care, tell you where you're at and maybe patch any urgent things. Talk to them about it beforehand, they might be willing to arrange something.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    What's stopping you from going to the dentist? Have you thought your cunning denture plan all the way through? That's going to require a dentist trip....

Seriously, you need to find out how bad it is. Go. See the dentist. Explain that you just want to know where things stand, even if you can't take any further action right now.

If your gums have issues, there are places the dentist can reach that you just CAN'T. There are things they can do for you above & beyond what you can do for yourself.

If you want to save your teeth badly enough, you will find a way. Good luck.