I don't think she gets it. Her action plan has a lot of CW and misinformation in it. Some of her science is really shaky.
10. White bread. Just substitute whole grains for refined grains and you'll be fine.
9. Sugary cereal. Just eat 100% whole grain cold cereal or hot cereal. Or just fruit. Her point is that "you'll be hungry soon" if you don't switch. These won't change that.
8. Diet versions of some other food. They have an artificial flavor or chemical additive to cover the artificial sweetener, but have the same response as the food without the artificial flavor, additive, or sweetener. Have a piece of fruit or a vegetable. Skirts the issue that the "non-diet" version is often healthier.
7. Fried chicken. Rancid oil, heated at high temperature, refined flour in the breading or batter, and the nutritional content of the chicken is destroyed by heating it to cooking temperature. So eat baked chicken. What? The chicken meat itself is cooked through the same process regardless of what external cooking method is used. No, wait, she said "fried chicken", she is changing that to "fried foods".
6. Sweetened coffee drinks. Sugar + cream = too many calories. Solution: enjoy your coffee by itself, with a little sugar and cream, then eat your sugary treat separately, for twice the enjoyment. Most pictures of "sweetened coffee drinks" shown are topped with milk foam, which is not high in fat and does not add significant calories to a drink.
5. Candy. In particular, constantly snacking on candy all day. Munch on fruit all day instead. Well, maybe a vegetable. But eating fruit whenever you're hungry will be a huge step toward losing weight.
4. French fries. Potatoes bad, they are not nutritionally dense. Then you deep fry them. (doesn't repeat the part about cooking temperatures being harmful) Also the problem is we eat them all the time, and eat them with something else, and eat unlimited quantities of them. Solution: eat your fast food without the french fries.
3. Pastries and doughnuts. Eating too much sugar spikes your blood sugar and ends up being stored as fat. Another plug for whole grains being superior to and essentially different from refined grains.
2. Potato chips. Because they're basically french fries that are packaged and have preservatives added to them (generally not true). Remember, french fries are bad by association and because some people eat them constantly. She doesn't really mean potato chips here, but expands the category to include other chips, including corn chips, tortilla chips, and anything else that comes in a bag. Remember, empty calories are calories your body "can't use". What?
1. Soda. It's bad because it contains "refined corn syrup". Wait, it would be okay if it was "unrefined corn syrup"?
Several times she says that fruits and vegetables are absolutely her favorite thing. But she also talks about how much she likes, really likes these foods she's telling up to give up.
A person could do worse than to give up these things. But they could do a lot better than going with some of her recommendations.