Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Obesity Causing Foods page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

Top Ten Obesity Causing Foods

Primal Fuel
    There's actually one smart person on Youtube. [shock]

This lady hits the top ten worst foods, starting with #1 -- BREAD! Of course when you remove her top 10 that eliminates pretty much the entire American diet.

Top Ten Obesity Causing Foods -- Psychetruth Nutrition & Weight Loss - YouTube

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't think she gets it. Her action plan has a lot of CW and misinformation in it. Some of her science is really shaky.

10. White bread. Just substitute whole grains for refined grains and you'll be fine.
    9. Sugary cereal. Just eat 100% whole grain cold cereal or hot cereal. Or just fruit. Her point is that "you'll be hungry soon" if you don't switch. These won't change that.
    8. Diet versions of some other food. They have an artificial flavor or chemical additive to cover the artificial sweetener, but have the same response as the food without the artificial flavor, additive, or sweetener. Have a piece of fruit or a vegetable. Skirts the issue that the "non-diet" version is often healthier.
    7. Fried chicken. Rancid oil, heated at high temperature, refined flour in the breading or batter, and the nutritional content of the chicken is destroyed by heating it to cooking temperature. So eat baked chicken. What? The chicken meat itself is cooked through the same process regardless of what external cooking method is used. No, wait, she said "fried chicken", she is changing that to "fried foods".
    6. Sweetened coffee drinks. Sugar + cream = too many calories. Solution: enjoy your coffee by itself, with a little sugar and cream, then eat your sugary treat separately, for twice the enjoyment. Most pictures of "sweetened coffee drinks" shown are topped with milk foam, which is not high in fat and does not add significant calories to a drink.
    5. Candy. In particular, constantly snacking on candy all day. Munch on fruit all day instead. Well, maybe a vegetable. But eating fruit whenever you're hungry will be a huge step toward losing weight.
    4. French fries. Potatoes bad, they are not nutritionally dense. Then you deep fry them. (doesn't repeat the part about cooking temperatures being harmful) Also the problem is we eat them all the time, and eat them with something else, and eat unlimited quantities of them. Solution: eat your fast food without the french fries.
    3. Pastries and doughnuts. Eating too much sugar spikes your blood sugar and ends up being stored as fat. Another plug for whole grains being superior to and essentially different from refined grains.
    2. Potato chips. Because they're basically french fries that are packaged and have preservatives added to them (generally not true). Remember, french fries are bad by association and because some people eat them constantly. She doesn't really mean potato chips here, but expands the category to include other chips, including corn chips, tortilla chips, and anything else that comes in a bag. Remember, empty calories are calories your body "can't use". What?
    1. Soda. It's bad because it contains "refined corn syrup". Wait, it would be okay if it was "unrefined corn syrup"?

Several times she says that fruits and vegetables are absolutely her favorite thing. But she also talks about how much she likes, really likes these foods she's telling up to give up.

A person could do worse than to give up these things. But they could do a lot better than going with some of her recommendations.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    At least she isn't whining about high fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

otzi Guest
    At least her list includes the 'Big-3' (Refined Sugar, Refined Grains, and Vegetable Oil), but no, she doesn't get it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    High fat, high carbs and low protein, and most important; very high calories - is the best combo if you are trying to be Obese...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    High fat, high carbs and low protein, and most important; very high calories - is the best combo if you are trying to be Obese...

Ya know I've always felt like an obese man stuck in a fat mans body. With this action plan in place now I can realize my true potential!

Fynn is offline Junior Member
    I think it is a starting point that most of the average people can understand. For over 60 years the wrong foods have been pushed at us. It will take the same number of years or longer to turn this mess around. he number of time I have been called a meat junkie, I have lost count. When really we eat a very balanced and healthy diet. As least she is trying.
    05/01/2012 - Present
    Starting Weight: 390 - Current Weight: 270 - Goal Weight: 240
    Height 6' 6''

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    So I've been reading MDA for years and I only wandered into the forums a few days ago. Can someone tell me - what does CW mean? Are there any other abbreviations I should know? I saw UD and DD in the ADF thread, and gathered that they're Up Day and Down Day. Any more common ones on here? Is there a lingo primer?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think it is a starting point that most of the average people can understand. For over 60 years the wrong foods have been pushed at us. It will take the same number of years or longer to turn this mess around. he number of time I have been called a meat junkie, I have lost count. When really we eat a very balanced and healthy diet. As least she is trying.
    I can understand that none of the things she is opposed to is good for us. But if people were to follow her advice as to what they should eat, they would be eating nothing but whole grains and fruit.

It's not like there's anything controversial about telling people to cut out soda.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ya know I've always felt like an obese man stuck in a fat mans body. With this action plan in place now I can realize my true potential!
    Good to hear Neckhammer! Remember that a good plan is not enough - it must also be followed up with hard work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast