Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian grocery, what to look for? page

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member

Asian grocery, what to look for?

Ive found out theres a local asian grocery store so am going to check it out tomorow... Any suggestions of what to look for and what things to avoid?( besides the obvious.. I always read labels etc)

I hear they might have frog legs
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Depends what kind of Asian, if they have Korean stuff look for kimchi and other fermented vegi side dishes. Very paleo, very good for you.

Their website says Thai, Chinese & Korean.. & I think Japanese.. Looks like its a pretty big place.

will def look for the kimchi.

I love trying out new things so will be looking for weird and unusual much to hubbys dismay
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Chicken feet for broth, coconut products, interesting veg and spices.

I don't know if you eat alternative flours and pasta, but if yes, my local Asian grocer is great for tapioca flour, sweet potato noodles etc.

TeaLady is offline Junior Member
    Mackerel in can, pork rinds, nori sheet.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I love the Asian market. Ours has loads of fresh seafood, including frogs, eels, crabs, snails, octopi, among other things. Loads of veggies that I love too- Japanese yams, durian, Asian pears, daikon. Some good frozen stuff- chicken feet, pig intestines, duck feet. I've even bought bugs and bolut (partially developed chicken or duck eggs.)

Paleobird Guest
    My Asian grocery store is the only place other than Amazon where I can get Aroy-D coconut cream in the tetra packs. I also love the seafood department where you can get fish heads to make broth, whole fish still swimming around, sashimi grade seafood, salmon roe, etc. They also have all kinds of interesting sea veggies fresh and dried and different kinds of mushrooms also fresh and dried. They often carry goat meat, frogs legs, rabbits, geese, other game birds, venison, and generally more "odd bits" than most butcher shops.

Oh boy, I'm making myself hungry thinking about all this.

Saw someone bbq chicken feet on the telly a while back... Cant remember what show but looked intresting (hubbys def gonna freak lol)
    I live a couple hundred yards from the north sea so fresh mackrel are easy avalible in the summer if i wanna do a bit of fishing

Got some ideas what to look for now so will report back tomorow. Hopefully its half as good as the ones around you'z

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Very nice blog Dinohunter. Hope you keep it up as I enjoyed it very much and will try your chili. What is Sottish Bonnet BTW?

Anyhow, I can get lost in an Asian food store as I wander and ponder all that is strange and new. Some things I've gotten have been mentioned, with the exception of Red Palm Oil (Ghana) which I often sautee with.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Really the only thing I used to buy regularly at the Asian market was a nice canned coconut cream. The stuff was amazing. My ex used to put it in his coffee and I used it in smoothies and on berries.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast