Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asian grocery, what to look for? page 3

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah. Sometimes something gets lost in the translation.

I dunno, sounds like it translated pretty much perfectly.....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    For whatever reason, I have four "Asian" markets within maybe 6 miles of my house.

The main one (first one around) is in all honesty mostly junk. There's a whole isle dedicated to instant ramen. I'd say 20% of the stock is snack food of varying description (from mochi ice cream to lychee gummies). There's a tiny produce section (with no names) that is entirely frozen. All their meat is frozen, and about half is processed food. About 1/3 of the stuff has no English labels, which doesn't help - not that I demand everything be labled in English. I need to learn Korean, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Simplified Chinese.

The others are similar, though I haven't been to the one in Callaway in some time. It was small, from what I remember, smaller than the one near Gate 2 NAS Pax River. One of the places is Thai, right at the end of my road, but it's mostly sauces and whatnot that they sell. I think their main pull is their takeout.

I noticed that every single one of the oils and sauces had soy oil in it, though.

M.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Didn't read through the 3 pages, but did anyone say, "girls" yet?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    In addition to the many very primal items that they have there, I find it amusing to see some of the insanely anti-primal things they sell. This includes big bottles of MSG and wheat gluten fried in hydrogenated soybean oil with sugar on it.

A real suggestion though, big bags of dried seaweed. It expands A LOT in water and is great for adding to soups.

One thing I tried to find was proper soy sauce(no wheat) they had about a doz difrent brands and not one was gluten/wheat free
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I am under the impression that real soy sauce requires wheat in it.

Also yeah, Markbt, my local ones all have great sacks of MSG. Thought it was powdered sugar at first until I got up to it.

M.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Do they have bitter melon? I had it when I traveled to China in 2006. I had no idea what it was and found out later. I didn't quite care for it at first, but it grew on me. We have no Asian markets nearby, so I haven't been able to find it in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I am under the impression that real soy sauce requires wheat in it.

Also yeah, Markbt, my local ones all have great sacks of MSG. Thought it was powdered sugar at first until I got up to it.

M.
    No, it was originally made without. Usually referred to as Tamari Soy Sauce
    Adding wheat makes it cheaper & easier to mass produce I guess

Yeah, I saw bitter melon there, in the fresh veg area.. dident get any as I wasent sure what to do with it

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    No, it was originally made without. Usually referred to as Tamari Soy Sauce
    Adding wheat makes it cheaper & easier to mass produce I guess

Yeah, I saw bitter melon there, in the fresh veg area.. dident get any as I wasent sure what to do with it
    You pretty much cut it in half, clean out the seeds and slice it across and stir fry with beef or other meats - you can do other things with it. It is very bitter as the name states. It is considered a medicinal plant as it helps to regulate blood sugar, among other things.

TotalHealth Magazine - Going WILD with Bitter Melon for Blood Sugar Support

vincebae is offline Member
    In Korean market, you might be interested in:
    - Kelp noodle (천사채)
    - Sweet potato or potato starch noodle (당면)
    - Acorn Jelly (도토리묵)
    - Jelly fish
    - Dried squid

Please check the ingredients first before buy. Some contain MSG, sugar or saccharine in it.

Those are in cans and mostly contains MSG, so please check the ingredients first.
    - boiled silkworm pupae (번데기) : Beondegi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - boiled sea snail (골뱅이) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossaulax_didyma
    - other type of boiled sea snail (소라) : Turbo cornutus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast