Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asian grocery, what to look for? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I shop almost exclusively at Asian stores. My staples are typical Asian vegetables and fresh herbs and spices, turmeric, mushrooms, and others whose names I don't know in English. Also coconut milk, miso, seaweed, kimchi, off the top of my head.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

waterjen is offline Member
    Glad this thread came up. There's an Asian grocery near me... And I run hot and cold on it. It does have a huge meat section (in fact, first investigated this place because I feed my dog raw meat), and a huge produce section with tons of unusual options.
    So those are on the plus side.
    On the down side: I worry about things grown in or made in or processed in China, which I figure is even more prevalent in Asian markets than Kroger/HEB/Randall's/etc...
    Anyone else worried about this?

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Kabocha squash. Then make this:

Roasted Kabocha Squash | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo

I get a lot of veggies there because they are usually half the price of supermarkets. Snap peas, snow peas, potatoes, yams (even the purple ones), zucchini, winter squash, onions, etc. are 50-75% of the cost of typical grocery stores. Dried spices and coconut milk are also much cheaper.

The dead fish in the fish tanks weird me out though - I assume that isn't good... but maybe its fine?

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Dead fish in the tanks? I wouldn't want to buy anything in that tank, but I don't know if there is a good reason behind that other than a generic 'ewwww' feeling. Though I do wish we had an Asian grocery where I live. Luckily, my co-op has a lot of the products others have mentioned.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    So much cool stuff.. coulda spent hours in there.. mostly because most the lables were in difrent asian launguges and I had to spend several minutes searching for the tiny print english translation to figure out what was what (even more fun where there was no English translation!)

Sadly they dident have any frog legs at the moment but I came home with a box of stuff to play with
    First was a bad ass cleaver that would make a ax murderer go all orgasmic. Chopping up carcasses should be a breeze now (chicken.... I swear im just using it for chicken & stuff....)

Chicken feet! (hubby is truly icked out now), Baby squids, Kimchi
    Bamboo shoots, banana blossoms, Rambutan fruit, rice noodles, pickled cabbage, mixed pickle with day lilys, rice flower, coconut milk, dried jasmine flowers, dried mushrooms, fresh turmeric, ginger shoots, lemongrass & Thai chive flowers, sake, pickled ginger and probably a few other things I cant remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    Very nice blog Dinohunter. Hope you keep it up as I enjoyed it very much and will try your chili. What is Sottish Bonnet BTW?

Anyhow, I can get lost in an Asian food store as I wander and ponder all that is strange and new. Some things I've gotten have been mentioned, with the exception of Red Palm Oil (Ghana) which I often sautee with.
    Thanks Im hoping to keep up with the blog.. I just keep getting distrac... Hey whats that?.....

Scotch bonnet is a very evil chili pepper. name comes from the shape, not country of origin. their 100,000 to 350,000 on the scoville scale (for comparison jalapenos are around 2,500-8,000) Hubby recomend you do not take a wiz after handling.....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I was in one yesterday and got unrefined palm fat, first time I have seen it for sale. I quite liked it but my partner was not so sure (used it for oven-roast white potatos for a traditional "sunday lunch)

Also got a bottle of "100% coconut nectar" that was undrinkably sweet - I can't believe it was not sugared.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Just shared my home grown water chestnuts with my team at work. If you ever see fresh water chestnuts in the market, do get some to try as they are completely different to the canned ones. More like a cross between apple and coconut.

Good to see you didn't come home with 'flavoured gluten strands' in a jar like my local store sells.

PS: take a little care when using the fresh turmeric. It stains.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post

Good to see you didn't come home with 'flavoured gluten strands' in a jar like my local store sells.
    EWWWWWWWWWWWW..... even before primal I wouldent have touched such an abomination.

will have to keep an eye out for the water chestnuts, sounds yum.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I once saw a dumpling product in the freezer of a better Asian store. It was labeled "wheat paste starch lump". Unfortunate choice of name.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I once saw a dumpling product in the freezer of a better Asian store. It was labeled "wheat paste starch lump". Unfortunate choice of name.
    Yeah. Sometimes something gets lost in the translation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast