Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juicing and Weight Gain page

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member

Juicing and Weight Gain

Shop Now
    Oh no! So I've put on 4kg in just over 3 weeks and the only major difference in my diet that I can pinpoint is juicing.

I've maintatined my weight on primal for over a year now but I was starting to have big problems with acne and a couple of friends encouraged me to try juicing as a way of upping my nutrition and clearing my skin. I was a bit worried about too many carbs in the juice, so I stopped eating my once daily peice of fruit and instead put this in the juice along with lots of vege (carrot, cucumber, celery, beetroot, spinich usually), sometimes I might add another half piece of fruit like lemon or lime or a feijoa. I've not been having the juice as a meal replacement but as an extra.

So has anyone else had this response to juicing?

I have been fighting a nasty infection over the last two weeks and I am currently taking antibiotics and lots of fluids for this, so this might explain the weight gain. Should I keep juicing (currently just 6 times a week) or maybe stop and see if my weight drops back down again?

So annoyed! My acne has improved though

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    How much juice are you consuming? It's been proven that calories that are drunk rather than eaten provide for less satiety, and people who add liquid calories tend not to subtract other calories. And so they put on weight.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Juicing removes the fiber which is necessary to properly digest and metabolize the fructose in the fruit --- you are essentially drinking pure natural sugar. I believe that is the source of your acne and weight gain.

You should watch this video Its titled: Sugar: the Bitter Truth. You'll never look at any form of sugar the same again. Except for all natural honey. He talks about juicing.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

BenjaminKE is offline Junior Member
    I juiced for over a month this past January after watching the "Hungry for change" documentary on Netflix. I replaced one meal a day with juicing but I also gained some weight. It looked like I was downing a 6 pack of beer every day but I was working my ass off!

I had eaten by the primal blueprint guidelines before and saw good results but strayed from it over time due to the constant criticism from other people. I let others convince me that it was just an updated version of the Atkins diet and stopped. My doctor also told me it was a bad diet for me considering I was pre-hypertensive.

After seeing no results with what I was doing, I recently got back into eating primal about 6 weeks ago and have never felt better. My blood pressure has gone down, my fat loss has been amazing and I'm only working out 3 to 4 times a week!

I used to do occasional juicing. After watching some juicing videos on youtube, I was craving some juice. I made myself a tall glass, drank it and was raging hungry half an hour later. I was like, I don't remember that part.

BenjaminKE is offline Junior Member
    eKatherine, after I used to juice I would literally feel my blood sugar spike and I would feel forced to take a nap before returning to normal. It was awful.

Z0oom is offline Member
    I have always wondered about juicing. All it sounds to me is like a sugar spike. Unless your juicing carrots and celery for something...maybe beta carotene?

Shoot, I avoid orange juice, because I know I enjoy an orange much more. You get to divide it into sections, and then your hands smell amazing from the peels, then if your adventurous, take a nip of the peel :x and you get extra fiber. I dont know why you wouldnt want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0oom View Post
    I have always wondered about juicing. All it sounds to me is like a sugar spike. Unless your juicing carrots and celery for something...maybe beta carotene?
    It is not like a sugar spike, it is a sugar spike, even if you are juicing your carrots and celery for beta carotene.

I have a glucose meter now, I will test that if I ever feel like juicing again.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Google this: acellular carbohydrates.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Z0oom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Google this: acellular carbohydrates.
    Wow, that is entirely possible if we are looking at the same thing. Even though juicing uses more ancestral ingredients to get a concentration of highish carb drinks from fruits and veg, I really prefer to experience every single ingredient I can think of, in it's natural form.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast