Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High! page

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High!

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I have been eating low carb (less than 50g per day), high healthy fat (135g per day) and moderate protein (100g per day) for over one year.

He just called me from the doctor's office and told me that his test results came back and showed that his cholesterol is 300! Several months ago, it was right around 200. I have not seen the printout yet, so I don't know the full story, but I am in shock, and so is his doctor, who wants him to start statins right now. The doc says he is in danger of having a heart attack.

Before we started low carb, he was on 3 different meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, but was able to get off of them after a few months of low carb.

I can't imagine how there could be a jump like this out of the blue! I feel like he should be tested again, because this can't be right.

Any ideas? Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks!

callherpetrol is offline Member
    total cholesterol shouldn't matter, its the levels of hdl, pattern A ldl, and pattern B ldl that do. have your husband get a vap test or nmr to determine his ldl particle size. if his ldl is mostly pattern a, there is nothing to really worry about

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, total number is very misleading. You need to kow his HDL, LDL, and his triglycerides. Then he needs a VAP test to determine the particle size of the LDL. By the way, I wouldn't trust any doctor who would insist on statins based on ONE test and no VAP test--and who uses scare tactics to get the patient to comply.

One example--My total cholesterol is "high"--in the 260 range, but my HDL is always between 75-85, and my triglycerides are always <60. a recent VAP test showed that my LDL is 100% "Pattern A"--which is heart protective--i.e., the 'good' kind. My doctor says that he typically finds this when the person's HDL is high and trigs are low. Thus my 'high' LDL is actually a good thing, but for years I've had doctors suggest statins to me because of the total number.

Of course, if all these tests show that he still needs cholesterol meds, it would be because of a genetic problem with his body's manufacturing of cholesterol. When that happens, the cholesterol is not related to the person's diet. However, if he previously lowered his cholesterol with diet, it seems likely that he does not have this problem.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Please read Griff's cholesterol primer thread.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Seconded...you/he needs to read Griff's primer on cholesterol thread. He explains in detail how to interpret test results as well as why the results themselves are often poor/inaccurate indicators of health.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If he has gone off cholesterol-reducing meds recently, that could make the numbers higher. (There is no real proof that such meds actually reduce anyone's risk of a heart attack for most people... they just make the numbers look better.)

Definitely talk to the doctor about what it all means. And definitely push back on the statins. Good luck.

RSL
    Please read Griff's cholesterol primer thread.
    What is this? Where do I find it?

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member

RSL
    Thanks, everyone! HBill 05-11-10 page.jpg

Here is the printout. Any thoughts?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can't see the link you inserted. It says "Attachments pending approval" and if I click on it, it says invalid link.....

Anyhoo, what time of year was his cholesterol last checked? How's his 25(OH)D? This is known to affect crp, one of the cholesterol components (never can remember which one) and triglycerides.

K

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast