Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High! page 5

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, it *should* go without saying, but I've seen patients mis-diagnosed with high cholesterol when they don't have ANYTHING of the sort, simply because the doc forgot to tell them to FAST for 12 hours before having the blood drawn for the lipid panel. So, make sure that any time they're going to check cholesterol that you've fasted (water only) for 12 hours.
    He was fasting, but thanks for the info!
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    You misunderstood what I said regarding genetics. What I meant was that some people are genetically disposed to react to higher intake of saturated fat with increased cholesterol and generally worse health markers (triglycerides, LDL). What you described would be in line with that - such persons might increase their health by reducing saturated fat and increasing carbs. That doesn't mean refined/grain-based stuff - my recommendation would be (sweet) potatoes.
    You're right - I did misunderstand what you meant. I was thinking about people who have high cholesterol genetically.

The idea that he will have to cut down on sat fat is pretty frightening. How in the world would I have to start cooking for the two of us? High sat fat is good for me and low sat fat is good for him? So he gets no butter and only lean meat, etc., limited eggs.

If this is true, it's a nightmare. I don't even know what a low sat fat, low carb way of eating would look like. If he even looks at a sweet potato, he gains weight.

And what if it turns out that high cholesterol does not even matter in the first place? So now I'm going to kill myself trying to cut down his sat fat while keeping mine high, and he will be miserable and feeling deprived. And all for nothing.

I hate this. Just when you think that you have finally found the way to eat for the rest of your life, and then the whole thing falls apart.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm still not understanding your concern. If his LDL is Pattern A, that means that it's not negative--Pattern A LDL is actually heart protective, so the high number is actually a good thing.

Yes, the lab report with flag the number as "high" as though it's negative, but lab reports also do that for high HDL, which we know is not negative at all. If your doctor is reacting to the lab report's flags--he's wrong!

Saturated fat will raise both HDL and Pattern A LDL--but that's a good thing, not bad. You need to understand this and get beyond conventional thinking about this issue.

If you are still concerned, have the doctor run a test of C-Reactive Protein (CRP). That's been proven to be far more predictive of heart issues than cholesterol numbers.

RSL
    His CRP is high.
    Rebecca

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Nobody needs a diet high in saturated fat ... for most people who don't react badly to it, it's basically a neutral macronutrient, besides the obvious fact that it contains a lot of calories.

The obvious alternative is mono-unsaturated fat ... for example olive oil. You could both try to use more of that for a month, and then check the health markers again. As for "If he even looks at a sweet potato, he gains weight.": I think that this isn't necessarily true - of course if he eats that sweet potato on top of the current diet, then it might be true.

@emmie: I think you should be a little bit more careful in your recommendations - some people think that pattern A LDL (the "fluffy" stuff) protects against CVD or atherosclerosis, but it's not a scientific fact. The jury is pretty much still out there, and conventional wisdom is not automatically wrong - particularly when you take in account that people can have genetic differences, prescribing a one size fits all diet in complete disregard of health markers - sounds a bit presumptuous to me.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am not 'prescribing' any diet at all--just trying to get a handle on the OPs concerns. And every doctor I've spoken to agrees that Pattern A LDL is as good as HDL in terms of worrying about numbers. I'm not talking about what it does but whether or not a person should be concerned about lowering it.

The high CRP is much more of an issue, in my opinion, and one that can be addressed with lifestyle adjustments. I'd suggest that the OP do a little research on lowering CRP because that should also affect the cholesterol--to the extent that diet has an effect.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'd try a whole foods source of protein. More eggs for him or something like that. The processed nappy stuff in most protein drinks could easily lead to inflammation, and poor cholesterol ratios are simply indicators that cholesterol is being needed to control inflammation.

The increasing triglycerides would be my biggest concern. Are you together for all your meals? I know my husband had no idea how much sugar/grains I scarfed down when he was at work before I got my carb cravings under control. If I'm way off base, just ignore that.

Nobody needs a diet high in saturated fat
    I beg to differ. Tell that to the countless numbers of us whose health took a dramatic turn for the better simply because we increased our consumption of natural saturated fat. Even the simplest of effects, satiety, was enough to curb carb cravings for half the day, just by switching from skim to whole milk during breakfast, for me. That alone made a dramatic improvement in my health.

Weston Price found the cultures he studied ate TEN times as much of the fat-soluble vitamins as the Americans of his day (who had never gone low-fat), and they weren't doing it on gobs and gobs of polyunsaturated fats or even on olive oil.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post

"Nobody needs a diet high in saturated fat"

I beg to differ. Tell that to the countless numbers of us whose health took a dramatic turn for the better simply because we increased our consumption of natural saturated fat. Even the simplest of effects, satiety, was enough to curb carb cravings for half the day, just by switching from skim to whole milk during breakfast, for me. That alone made a dramatic improvement in my health.
    I think that for the most part, eating more saturated fat has benefits in many people because they're eating less other stuff that's causing problems. Fat-soluble vitamins not withstanding - you don't need to drown carrots in butter in order to be able to absorb the vitamins. And if, as it seems to be in the person this thread is about, saturated fat causes problems - there are the mono-unsaturated fats as a viable alternative.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    The high CRP is what stands out for me. If he has inflammation then surely the place to start is reducing that? How long has he been gluten free? Is there any other clear reason for this?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    I think that for the most part, eating more saturated fat has benefits in many people because they're eating less other stuff that's causing problems. Fat-soluble vitamins not withstanding - you don't need to drown carrots in butter in order to be able to absorb the vitamins. And if, as it seems to be in the person this thread is about, saturated fat causes problems - there are the mono-unsaturated fats as a viable alternative.
    You may have missed where I said the only thing I changed was switching from skimmed to whole milk and immediately my carb cravings disappeared for the first half of every day.

The fat-soluble vitamins are *precisely* why you need all that butter on your carrots. Unless there are a lot of other fats high in monounsaturated fatty acids, but not high in polyunsaturated, other than olive oil & lard, then you're limiting most fats out there, b/c you shouldn't cook with olive oil. So what happens for all those without hogs? Olive oil & lard are not rich sources of the crucial fat-soluble activator K2, either.

This is an odd forum to be proposing limiting saturated fats. I don't have the time to get into a debate - literally, I'm homeschooling five children over here! - but I think the OP will do well to focus on the signs of inflammation: high triglycerides & CRP are not to be taken lightly. The *first* place to look, imo, would be the processed breakfast drink. Where is the *scientific* evidence that there are people in whom high sat fat intake increases cholesterol numbers that lead to increased risk of a cardiac event?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345