Thread: Better sleep page

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member

Better sleep

Shop Now
    So, I've finally admitted to myself that my sleep is TERRIBLE. I try running before sleep, reading, a bath, you name it and nothing really works. I tried taking Melatonin and it was giving me weird dreams, which I heard is a side effect. Does anyone have any other ways of sleeping better? any food suggestions? like maybe I should or shouldn't get this before bed...

Mark just had a post about sleeping better and I want to sleep better!! haha

oh, I can fall asleep no problem... it's staying asleep thats the issue. I don't even need an alarm clock anymore I'm just UP at 7am.

um OK i JUST saw there is another thread under this one (just popped up) that is exactly what I'm asking...

SORRY GUYS!! I didn't mean to post something about the same thing,, again!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hello namesake

I'm giving some advice to AMC on the other thread if you want to pop in there. Life long sufferer of insomnia here - think I finally have it under control!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    So, I've finally admitted to myself that my sleep is TERRIBLE. I try running before sleep, reading, a bath, you name it and nothing really works. I tried taking Melatonin and it was giving me weird dreams, which I heard is a side effect. Does anyone have any other ways of sleeping better? any food suggestions? like maybe I should or shouldn't get this before bed...

Mark just had a post about sleeping better and I want to sleep better!! haha

oh, I can fall asleep no problem... it's staying asleep thats the issue. I don't even need an alarm clock anymore I'm just UP at 7am.
    May as well answer something here: melatonin only works for some people: it depends on what kind of insomnia you have. If you can't stay asleep chances are there's some blood sugar issues tied to excess adrenaline.

50 million dollar questions: how many cals a day are you eating, and what's your woe? I'm guessing you're HFLC?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-02-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    May as well answer something here: melatonin only works for some people: it depends on what kind of insomnia you have. If you can't stay asleep chances are there's some blood sugar issues tied to excess adrenaline.

50 million dollar questions: how many cals a day are you eating, and what's your woe? I'm guessing you're HFLC?
    I am not HFLC as much as I use to be. I use to be an Atkins person, but I didn't lose not 1 pound. So, I switched to Primal and upped my carbs to not over 100carbs a day. which is Low Carb, but not Very low carb. No sugar No grains and I eat everything else primal.

I'm also Alternate Fasting (1 week completed) so updays 2100 down days 500-600. It's made my sleep a little bit better... but I suffered way before I ever changed my diet.

Altho, no one has ever said to me it could be because of blood sugar! Please tell me more!!

nburgraff is offline Member
    Well It gets a little complicated with the blood sugar thing, but basically high blood sugar leads to terrible sleep. The main thing that is happening is the fact that most foods that raise blood sugar (carbs in particular) also stimulate the release of dopamine from the brain. This release of dopamine can effect the release of norepinephrine (noradrenaline). And this in turn blunts the release of melatonin from the pineal gland. Which, in turn leads to terrible sleep (low melatonin=no sleep).

Hopefully that cascade of events made some sense! But basically high blood sugar indirectly blunts melatonin release which affects your sleep.

How do "they" pose to correct blood sugar levels for sleep?!? you didn't mention that!!

Quote Originally Posted by nburgraff View Post
    Well It gets a little complicated with the blood sugar thing, but basically high blood sugar leads to terrible sleep. The main thing that is happening is the fact that most foods that raise blood sugar (carbs in particular) also stimulate the release of dopamine from the brain. This release of dopamine can effect the release of norepinephrine (noradrenaline). And this in turn blunts the release of melatonin from the pineal gland. Which, in turn leads to terrible sleep (low melatonin=no sleep).

Hopefully that cascade of events made some sense! But basically high blood sugar indirectly blunts melatonin release which affects your sleep.
    Mmmmm. Do you have problems sleeping nburgraff? Maybe it depends on the person. But am a former ED sufferer, and when I used to binge on ice cream at night I would have the BEST sleep. Deep, unbroken, dreamless, and long. I never get those kinds of sleeps. I don't believe it's the high blood sugar: it's the kind of sugar.

Anyway, I was talking about the opposite BS : low blood sugar. Hypoglycemic insomnia: caused by bs dropping too low at night. When this happens, you start to have broken sleep / wake up with a racing mind. Here's two reasons why this happens:

1) In response to the low bs, the liver starts dumping glycogen into your blood stream to raise it to normal level, which gives you a "spike" and this wakes you up.
    2) The low bs creates a drop in body temp, which the adrenals respond to by releasing adrenaline to raise your body temp. When this happens you get an adrenaline spike, which... wakes you up! Some info here: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles...yroidism.shtml

The first can be caused by not eating enough carbs in the evening time. THe second can be indicative of a thyroid condition. To rectify the first: eat more carbs in the evening (Or in general ), to rectify the second: try wearing a lot more clothes to bed. It could be one or the other or a combo. Or something else entirely

- Ray Peat