Thread: ketogenic brain question for you if you are ketogenic page

richard is offline Senior Member

ketogenic brain question for you if you are ketogenic

Roy Baumeister has shown that willpower and concentration and focus come from a shared energy pool in the brain, and this runs down as you use willpower and focus.

And intriguingly they found that a meal with glucose re-loads the willpower reservoir.

So here's the question. If you are on a ketogenic diet, your brain is using ketones largely. I know that there is some glucose involved, from gluconeogenesis, but that is relatively small and it is now known that our brains can be fueled like almost all other cells from ketones.

So if you are on a ketogenic diet, do you have a larger more sustainable pool of willpower and attention?

What is your experience?

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I have found personally that my willpower is much stronger while in ketosis. Now that doesn't mean that I still don't have cravings for things....serving my children ice cream or cake the other night kinda pulled at me a bit, it looked and smelled great and sure, I would have liked to have some. But it was much, much easier to say no to it since I am in ketosis. Being in ketosis has also helped greatly with my urges to binge and with my mood regulation which is the main reason I started doing this in the first place. I am also able to focus better and am starting now to get some mental clarity, which is nice because I have been foggy from the carb flu.

Alternately, I find that even when eating a strict primal/paleo diet, I still have difficulty with mood regulation and binges, and my willpower is lacking. If I were still eating the traditional primal fare with sweet potatoes and other starches, I would be triggered to seek out more and more carbs and/or binge. So for me it seems (at least so far) that NK is the way for me to go, but I'm still very early into it. All I know is that every time I have been in ketosis, I have a greater sense of wellbeing and feel in control over the foods that I put into my body, instead of feeling like the food is controlling me.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used up my willpower years ago. I keep going by eating to satisfy my body's needs and using positive strategies to support my goals, not by expecting willpower to pull me through.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-02-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Zach is offline Banned

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yep, ketosis makes you dumb.[/url]
    Classsssy

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I have found personally that my willpower is much stronger while in ketosis. Now that doesn't mean that I still don't have cravings for things....serving my children ice cream or cake the other night kinda pulled at me a bit, it looked and smelled great and sure, I would have liked to have some. But it was much, much easier to say no to it since I am in ketosis. Being in ketosis has also helped greatly with my urges to binge and with my mood regulation which is the main reason I started doing this in the first place. I am also able to focus better and am starting now to get some mental clarity, which is nice because I have been foggy from the carb flu.

Alternately, I find that even when eating a strict primal/paleo diet, I still have difficulty with mood regulation and binges, and my willpower is lacking. If I were still eating the traditional primal fare with sweet potatoes and other starches, I would be triggered to seek out more and more carbs and/or binge. So for me it seems (at least so far) that NK is the way for me to go, but I'm still very early into it. All I know is that every time I have been in ketosis, I have a greater sense of wellbeing and feel in control over the foods that I put into my body, instead of feeling like the food is controlling me.
    Attention and Focus, definitely yes. Not sure about willpower. Maybe bc I haven't really thought about willpower in relation to ketosis. You bring up a good point though.

Paleobird Guest

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    "Look, guys, I posted it again!"

Ketones are protective, the state of ketosis requires you to be in a state of stress. I think this much is clear already.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    "Look, guys, I posted it again!"

Ketones are protective, the state of ketosis requires you to be in a state of stress. I think this much is clear already.
    Actually that was the first time I read or posted that particular article but, since there are so many saying much the same thing, I can see how you would get confused.

Prove to me, with something other than a Ray Peat opinion piece, that ketosis is inherently stressful.