Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing amount of pigmentation in face page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Increasing amount of pigmentation in face

Primal Fuel
    About two years ago I suddenly got a large patch of hyperpigmenation on my forehead. Now it seems like it's spreading - I've got some under my eyes, on my nose, and on my cheeks.

Does anyone know what causes this? I don't particularly care about it from an aesthetic point of view, but it seems a bit weird that it's developing and spreading so quickly...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Are you using any retinol-based face products? Using retinols can make you hypersensitive to sunlight, you have to be extra careful to use a high quality sunscreen religiously.

Other than that, hormones can do it too. I have similar patches at the tops of my cheekbones/under my eyes, it is referred to as "pregnancy mask", either pregnancy or birth control pills can give you this.

I'm sure there are other causes, those are the two that I know of for sure.

Nope, don't use retinols, and not preggers or on the pill... But I do believe it's hormonal.

Do you know what hormones would cause that?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

My guess would be progesterone, as that is one of the hormones involved in pregnancy, as also synthetically manufactured for use in bc pills.

Do you perhaps have a thyroid condition? According to Wikipedia, melasma (the correct term, I did know that at some point) can sometimes be caused by thyroid disease. Here is the link: Melasma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I have this too and it's become noticeably worse since taking a progesterone booster a few weeks ago, I didn't know about the correlation. Mine started after my first pregnancy with what looks like a moustache (oh no!), it's like a zillion freckles all joined together. I have the same above my eyebrows. Recently it has spread to my cheeks. I don't think it's noticeable to others (so they say) but it certainly is to me.

The stress link would make sense. I'm quite sure I don't have a thyroid issue. I try to stay out of direct sunlight and always put 30+ on my tash, but the sun definitely makes it darker.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but...

I was running frequently until a few days ago, and exposure to the sun made my omnipresent freckles quite dark and blotchy-looking. I found to my surprise that mineral makeup minimizes the appearance of blotchy pigmentation very effectively while still looking quite natural. I had never tried it before, after reading that it doesn't look as good on older skin.

eKatherine, have you noticed that the mineral make-up wears or rubs off quickly? I've been tempted on more than one occasion to try it myself, but I've heard mixed reviews, with the most common complaint being that it doesn't last long. I am not one of those who carts around an entire make-up kit in my purse for touch ups, my morning make-up has to last!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I haven't worn it much. I was just surprised at how much more effective it was than the other types I have worn.

Since the others don't work for me, I could imagine carrying around a small kit for the few times that it would matter if my makeup faded after a few hours. But since I rarely wear makeup at all, my tolerance is pretty high.

I showed my girlfriend a photo of me dressed up a while back, and she said to me, "You should wear makeup to cover your freckles." I was like, "I am."

Do you use a moisturizing undercoat and a setting powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    My guess would be progesterone, as that is one of the hormones involved in pregnancy, as also synthetically manufactured for use in bc pills.

Do you perhaps have a thyroid condition? According to Wikipedia, melasma (the correct term, I did know that at some point) can sometimes be caused by thyroid disease. Here is the link: Melasma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for all that info Badkty! It actually makes a lot of sense: I have other symptoms of excess progesterone, and my blood are indicating a thyroid condition. I'm getting a full hormonal panel done next week, so it will be intesting to see what that reveals.

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Wow, I have this too and it's become noticeably worse since taking a progesterone booster a few weeks ago, I didn't know about the correlation. Mine started after my first pregnancy with what looks like a moustache (oh no!),

I try to stay out of direct sunlight and always put 30+ on my tash, but the sun definitely makes it darker.
    That's interesting that you noticed a big change with the prog booster! The sun definitely makes it worse: mine came out of nowhere about two years ago after a sun holiday in Portugal. Now any bit of sun makes it really dark.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but...

I was running frequently until a few days ago, and exposure to the sun made my omnipresent freckles quite dark and blotchy-looking. I found to my surprise that mineral makeup minimizes the appearance of blotchy pigmentation very effectively while still looking quite natural. I had never tried it before, after reading that it doesn't look as good on older skin.
    Foundation is actually so much work... I hate it!

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

Do you use a moisturizing undercoat and a setting powder?
    I do when I use conventional foundation, I am just wondering if venturing into the mineral makeup is worth it. My routine works well enough, I suppose, I'm just always trying to find that next great product/routine. Yes, I have a problem. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast