Thread: Omega 3 eggs - best (and cheapest) source at the store page

pollo_la is offline Member

Omega 3 eggs - best (and cheapest) source at the store

Primal Fuel
    For those of you who look for Omega 3 eggs at the store, what have you found to be the cheapest source for a good quality egg? Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc.? And is there a certain brand?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Cheapest is to make friends with someone who has chickens. We trade avocados from our tree for eggs during egg season. Otherwise I pay exhorbitant amounts of money for top-quality eggs at the local food coop or health food store. Vital farms is a common brand.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I'd stay away from "Omega-3" eggs, myself.

Find organic, pastured eggs. Omega-3 eggs are usually just eggs that have been fed lots of Flax and sometimes even fed fish oil. This is not exactly a "natural" diet for chickens. Here are my egg rankings:

1. Organic, Pastured, Soy-Free (very hard to find.)
    2. Organic, Pastured
    3. Pastured
    4. Organic
    5. Omega-3
    6. Conventional

Though I never get the bottom 4, usually my local stores carry the top 2 all the time. Of course, these are just my opinions, look at all sources of info.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Okay, doing a happy dance here... I found someone local (about 15 minutes from me) who can supply me with farm fresh eggs (around 5 dozen a week) for $2.50 a dozen. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, so we go through about 10 dozen a week as a family, but this is a start. And we have baby chicks that will start laying in the next 4-5 months giving us a few dozen each week as well.

She had this to say about her chickens, "I feed a non hormone poultry feed, along with hay. Yes I let them free range, so grass, bugs etc are part of there diet." Sounds a whole lot better then the average egg you find on the supermarket shelf anyway. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pollo_la View Post
    For those of you who look for Omega 3 eggs at the store, what have you found to be the cheapest source for a good quality egg? Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc.? And is there a certain brand?
    When I buy cheap eggs I get Phil's Farm Fresh Eggs from Whole Foods. I read a magazine feature about their practices online, and they seem pretty decent for factory farmed eggs. This is a good question because not all of us live in rural areas where there are local options. I get the pastured non organic from Fresh Market for $5.50 and I supplement that with the Phil's which cost about half that. Miami is actually home to two of the highest scoring pastured egg dealers on the Cornucopia Egg rating scale, but unfortunately they are no cheaper than what you pay for Pastured Organic at Whole Foods so I don't bother with the hassle of it.