Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition to lower cortisol page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Nutrition to lower cortisol

Shop Now
    So I had the 24hr saliva cortisol test and I am on the high end, but normal in the morning but do not drop by the end of the day, so when it's bedtime I have double the amount in my system.

I am working with a NP and she has recommended some PhosphatidylSerine. I also hope to add in some Rhodiola ( advised from Dr Sara Gottfried's book The Hormonal Cure)
    I am also taking steps to modify my workouts to Sprint 8 style in the morning 2x/week and add in yoga and walking.
    Also, I am in the midst of adding meditation, but it has not become a practice yet.

The last part I'd like to focus on is the nutrition part. My understanding thus far is that I don't want to overly restrict due to a cortisol response. But I'm feeling a bit lost. I like to have macronutrient ratios or amounts in mind. I would love to see fat loss from my middle.
    Current stats:
    Almost 38yrs
    5'3"
    143lbs
    Aprox 27% body fat

I don't feel hungry if I keep calories around 1600-1800 55%Fat, 25% Protein, 20% Carb... But I'm not losing the fat.

How do you inspire your body to burn the fat that the high cortisol is telling it to hold on to it? Thanks for your thoughts!

( I have a new journal called Momto3's Journey to healing and health which has some progress photos. )
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

I should mention that I eat 99% primal. The questionable item is rice cakes, nut thin crackers and jasmine rice.

I enjoy meat, veggies, grass fed butter, heavy cream, nuts and berries. I also have unflavored whey protein.

The common staples include: beef, lamb, chicken thighs, pork, salami, turkey deli meat, grass fed hot dogs, trying to incorporate some liver.
    Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, Swiss chard, asparagus, green beans
    Berries, apple, banana
    Macadamia, almond, pistacios, pine nuts
    Sweet potatoes or rice on workout days
    Occasional indulgence almond flour pancakes, cupcakes -things sweetened with honey, maple syrup are on rare occasions. Sweet things are a huge trigger for me to crave more and be more hungry in general.

My Journal

Zach is offline Banned
    Flip the ratios. 55% carbs, 20% fat. Should have you losing fat and lowering cortisol.

No thank you. I did that for most of my adult life. I have PCOS. Ended up overweight, high triglycerides. Not going back there.

My Journal

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    No thank you. I did that for most of my adult life. I have PCOS. Ended up overweight, high triglycerides. Not going back there.
    What types of food were you eating? Ever tried it with fruit, potatoes, dairy and a bit of meat and eggs?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    He's not talking about grains and such. Were you eating refined carbs before, or things like potatoes, squash, and other starches?

While I don't know if I agree with the ratio being THAT drastic, reducing fat and eating more starchy carbs and fruit may be beneficial to you. It's worth a try for a couple of weeks, isn't it? Especially for people dealing with hormonal imbalances, low carb can be devastating (I know many people here disagree).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Pre-primal I was eating the SAD. Whole grains, brown rice, low fat, sugar.

With having PCOS, I am very hesitant to go above 100g carbs. Right now I get 75 average. If not as drastic as 50% carbs, what would you suggest?

Here's an interesting article.
    http://www.paulinehardingmd.com/page5.html

"Low glycemic index foods such as eggs, meats, poultry, fish, and most vegetables tend to lower the cortisol level. If one starts with a normal morning cortisol, eating foods from the low glycemic index category every five hours during the day is needed to keep the cortisol on its normal downward track."

"High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise. For individuals who start the day with a normal cortisol level, starchy or sugary breakfast food choices can cause the cortisol to overshoot the normal range. The cortisol will likely remain elevated all day - and all night. Intervention with herbs or supplements that lower cortisol can help."

"Steps to Take for a Normal Balanced Cortisol Rhythm:

Go to bed by 10 p.m.
    Eat breakfast by 7 a.m.
    Eat low glycemic index meals every five hours while awake.
    If you eat gluten grains, use sprouted whole grains.
    Avoid sugar and excess starch.
    Maintain erect posture and avoid prolonged periods of sitting or flexion posture such as fetal position during the night. (See "How to Age Rapidly - or Not," in my "Doctor's Corner," for NOHA NEWS, Winter 2002.)
    Control pain.
    Manage emotional stress. Following the first seven guidelines allows us to respond with more stamina and less stress to the challenges of daily life.
    Confer with a health practitioner familiar with hormone function and therapies that help correct cortisol rhythm.
    Meditate daily. Know that each of us prays without ceasing. Discover anew that every thought and every word is a prayer. Keep in touch with the True Source of health and healing."

My Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    Pre-primal I was eating the SAD. Whole grains, brown rice, low fat, sugar.

With having PCOS, I am very hesitant to go above 100g carbs. Right now I get 75 average. If not as drastic as 50% carbs, what would you suggest?

Here's an interesting article.
    http://www.paulinehardingmd.com/page5.html

"Low glycemic index foods such as eggs, meats, poultry, fish, and most vegetables tend to lower the cortisol level. If one starts with a normal morning cortisol, eating foods from the low glycemic index category every five hours during the day is needed to keep the cortisol on its normal downward track."

"High glycemic index foods, such as sugar and refined starches, cause cortisol levels to rise. For individuals who start the day with a normal cortisol level, starchy or sugary breakfast food choices can cause the cortisol to overshoot the normal range. The cortisol will likely remain elevated all day - and all night. Intervention with herbs or supplements that lower cortisol can help."

"Steps to Take for a Normal Balanced Cortisol Rhythm:

Go to bed by 10 p.m.
    Eat breakfast by 7 a.m.
    Eat low glycemic index meals every five hours while awake.
    If you eat gluten grains, use sprouted whole grains.
    Avoid sugar and excess starch.
    Maintain erect posture and avoid prolonged periods of sitting or flexion posture such as fetal position during the night. (See "How to Age Rapidly - or Not," in my "Doctor's Corner," for NOHA NEWS, Winter 2002.)
    Control pain.
    Manage emotional stress. Following the first seven guidelines allows us to respond with more stamina and less stress to the challenges of daily life.
    Confer with a health practitioner familiar with hormone function and therapies that help correct cortisol rhythm.
    Meditate daily. Know that each of us prays without ceasing. Discover anew that every thought and every word is a prayer. Keep in touch with the True Source of health and healing."
    Sounds like great general advice IMO!

richard is offline Senior Member
    you are quite likely short of iodine, and estrogen dominant. If you use a pure progesterone oil (Progesterelle is the one I am aware of), start taking Lugol's or Ioderal for iodine, and cut out xeno-estrogens in your environment and diet, you may end up tippy top.

Most of us are short of iodine, many dramatically so, and many women who are estrogen dominant also need more iodine and suffer PCOS, fibrocystic breast problems, and sometimes fibroids.

Just a thought.

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    What types of food were you eating? Ever tried it with fruit, potatoes, dairy and a bit of meat and eggs?
    @Zach- I think high cortisol is linked to my trouble sleeping. Like Momto3, I need to lose weight so am avoiding going too high carb. how do you suggest people lose weight without affecting cortisol, since it seems like any calorie/carb reduction triggers some sort of unwanted hormonal response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast