Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition to lower cortisol page 2

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Low carb diets can put stress on the adrenals and the thyroid which will definitely not lower your cortisol levels..

If you're really worried about gaining weight by upping your carb intake (which I doubt you will) eat mostly fruits and sugar (like honey) over starch (potatoes, rice, though they are still good for you).

To quote the master:
    Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat.

Zach is offline Banned
    I have never heard anyone say that high glycemic foods raise cortisol. When i googled it the only thing that popped up was from the lady you posted so that right there says something about her info.

In fact the what i repeatedly read from many sources (just just Peat followers) is that carbs and specifically sugar blunts cortisol.

As for PCOS, i dont know much about it but it would seem that elevated insulin levels play a factor. Fructose does not spike insulin the way glucose (and protein) does. I believe a low carb diet with excess protein is very damaging and can raise cortisol, cause insulin resistance and hypothyroid. Replacing some muscle protein with fruit sugar, dairy and gelatin may help.

Heres an article from Danny Roddy on the subject. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Or: How You Lost Your Oxidative Machinery — The Danny Roddy Weblog

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I read the article and would agree with the progesterone issue. I've read D Sara Gottfried's book and I definitely agree that I have progesterone issue. I think that may be the root of different issues. My health history has included irregular periods from beginning, endometriosis, PCOS, infertility, hyperplasia and high cortisol. It can look confusing because typically PCOS is considered too much testosterone and endo is too much estrogen.

Thanks for the link to the article. I've only just begun the cortisol lowering supplements. I am working with a functional medicine NP and she would like to test progesterone, but I need to save up money for more testing. ( just finished treatment for H Pylori)

I just re-read The Primal Blueprint section on recommended calories and macros. I will focus on nutrient dense foods. Lower heavy cream consumption and enjoy the summer fruit season.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Forget if you said your a coffee drinker or not, but if you have caffeine in the morning that can be a big problem according to studies like this:

Caffeinated Coffee Does Not Acutely Affect Energy Intake, Appetite, or Inflammation but Prevents Serum Cortisol Concentrations from Falling in Healthy Men

Cortisol is naturally high in the morning, but in the coffee drinkers it shows a significant difference in that it stays elevated.

No. Not a coffee drinker. I can't tolerate caffeine at all. I have to be careful about dark chocolate too. Thanks for the thought though.

My Journal

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Your going to a funtional med practitioner so I figured they woulda caught that already but its worth a try

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I would really suggest reading this:
    Comprehensive Adrenal Fatigue Article - DrLamŽ - Body. Mind. NutritionŽ

If you are in the stage of having high cortisol, be thankful you are figuring this out now before it gets even worse (adrenals can't keep compensating and are no longer able to produce enough cortisol). My experience has been that the number one thing for getting better is sleep. Going to bed early without exception is super important. The stricter you are with yourself on this the faster you will get better. Second, would be diet - you are eating great, but should add in some primal starch imo. Did I see you were doing sprints? I would knock that off ASAP. Cortisol trouble + sprints = adrenal crash. Please do yourself a huge favor and don't go there.

There seems to be two very different camps when it comes to food and lowering cortisol. I have a feeling it may be more a matter of sleep, stress, exercise, and supplements. I may lower fat some since I think I am over indulging in the butter and cream. I also want to do more reading on progesterone. I know from test results that my DHEA levels are "robust" as my NP put it, so that is not a concern. She said it was typical to see in someone with PCOS. It would be good to get to the root of problem. Is low progesterone causing high cortisol which causes PCOS and endometriosis? If so, what does that mean?
    For now, it is clear I need to go to bed earlier and maybe shut electronics down sooner. That will be a tough habit to change.
    I will also take the sunflower lecithin at 6 pm to help the cortisol drop better.
    I am stilling hanging on to the hope that I can still workout Sprint 8 style 2x a week in the morning ( 8 cycles of 30 sec high, 1:30 low total 20 min) and then yoga and walking the other days. I love doing mud obstacle races. Maybe i can plan meditation or some other stress relieving activity that same day. My thoughts so far....
    Thank you for this thoughtful discussion so far.

My Journal

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Forget if you said your a coffee drinker or not, but if you have caffeine in the morning that can be a big problem according to studies like this:

Caffeinated Coffee Does Not Acutely Affect Energy Intake, Appetite, or Inflammation but Prevents Serum Cortisol Concentrations from Falling in Healthy Men

Cortisol is naturally high in the morning, but in the coffee drinkers it shows a significant difference in that it stays elevated.
    Actually...

The effects of tea on psychophysio... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Black tea, despite the caffeine content, was shown to lower cortisol levels effectively in individuals who drank multiple cups a day.

Sooo... There may be something else to blame in the coffee causing the elevated cortisol, but since black tea lowers it, I doubt caffeine is the cause.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I have never heard anyone say that high glycemic foods raise cortisol.
    Carbo-people riding the sugar spike/crash cycle certainly seem stressed to hell though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast