Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1000 calories a day page 2

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Do you mean alternative day fasting? You know what, I thought of it before. I'm going to reconsider it.
    Yes I did mean that.

I lost 30lbs on 2200 calories a day, without excessive exercise and I didn't start IF'ng till I had lost most of that weight. Maybe you don't need to go that low.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I alternate during the week between the warrior and fast five diet plans. I use my second meals on fast five days to help up my protein intake so I don't end up losing muscle along with the fat. In my world breakfast and lunch don't really exist during the week anymore.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Umm I see. I am already starting to see results. I have only 5-10 pounds more to lose. I want to get below 10% body fat, hence the 1000 calories. I tried many things and none worked (I am skinny enough already) so I am thinking that I need something a little more extreme.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Well I think you will lose 5-10 lbs if you cut calories that low, but I suspect they will go back on again as soon as you eat a normal diet. I don't think you can be sure that it will be body fat you lose. Just as likely to be muscle I imagine.

I thought this type of diet prevented muscle loss by making the body burn fat for fuel..

How about this. If I'm not hungry, should I still eat? I started this 1000 cal thing because I found that it was plenty to keep me satiated. I am not starving at all. Probably because I've been home for two weeks doing absolutely nothing (injured).

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would guess that on only 1000 calories (assuming we're talking VLC here) you either won't be able to get enough protein to maintain muscles or body will have to break down some of the protein for fuel.
    I also think that once you get fat gone it won't come back as long as your carbs are kept low. Mark does a great job of maintaining his physique as does the lean gains guy for reference.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading this a while ago: http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...ories-per-day/

This jives with that Brad Pilon and other say; that building muscle is a function mostly of your workout, not so much how you eat. If you workout enough, your appetite should tell you how much you need to eat. I think it makes sense to just follow your hunger instincts.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 05-12-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I would guess that on only 1000 calories (assuming we're talking VLC here) you either won't be able to get enough protein to maintain muscles or body will have to break down some of the protein for fuel.
    I also think that once you get fat gone it won't come back as long as your carbs are kept low. Mark does a great job of maintaining his physique as does the lean gains guy for reference.
    We're talking ZC. I'm always going to keep carbs low so hopefully you're right in that it will prevent too much weight regain.
    I'm only eating 60-70 grams of protein per day because I figured that a lot of the 200 grams I was eating was turning into glucose.
    I've only been doing this for a week... as soon as I start seeing bad results I'm going to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I remember reading this a while ago: http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...ories-per-day/

This jives with that Brad Pilon and other say; that building muscle is a function mostly of your workout, not so much how you eat. If you workout enough, your appetite should tell you how much you need to eat. I think it makes sense to just follow your hunger instincts.

That's good stuff. Unfortunately I can't do any training atm, so I am bound to lose muscle anyways. My left leg is noticeably thinner already.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could do some upper body stuff at least. The overall hormonal response might help preserve at least some muscle in your legs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast