Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switched to primal, can't sleep page

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member

Switched to primal, can't sleep

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I made the switch to primal about 2 weeks ago, the first week was fine (for sleep), but this past whole week I've had terrible insomnia. The first thing I thought of was carbs, not i'm really not eating low carb- I've been getting 150-200 (but that is lower than pre-primal).

Is this just an adjustment thing? Has anyone else had this experience? I was sleeping great before (from about 10-6). I've kept my routine the same, I'm not falling asleep til close to midnight and still waking up right before 6 then feeling like a zombie all day.

sqidmark is offline Member
    My wife and I both found that magnesium citrate helped with sleeping and digestive issues (which will likely take longer to appear, if at all). Chamomile tea seems to help me sleep as well. Neither of these worked overnight, it takes a while. Your body is adjusting, give it time, though it can be quite frustrating. Just wait till you get those series of night when you wake up at 2am! Hopefully this won't happen to you. Hang in there.

Zach is offline Banned
    You are spiking adrenalin and cortisol, most likely from lack of calories, carbs or both. Inflammatory foods like excess protein, pufa and fiber can also have this effect.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Since I started mixing a few tsps of gelatin into my morning coffee, I sleep like a dead baby. Of course I sleep in a magic isolation chamber (Under the stairs in the pantry) that's free from light and electronic devices, which probably helps as well.

Just one avenue of thought to pursue. Some people find that some late day starch helps as well.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried wearing warmer clothes to bed? I remember you said you've got low body temp - if it drops too low your body will start dumping adrenaline to warm you up.

I've had insomnia for YEARS - literally nothing helped (mg citrate, gelatine, herbal teas, spoonfuls of honey etc. etc. etc) - but since I started wearing huge amounts of clothes to bed I"m sleeping way better!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You are spiking adrenalin and cortisol, most likely from lack of calories, carbs or both. Inflammatory foods like excess protein, pufa and fiber can also have this effect.
    I've kept my calories the same and only decreased carbs by a little. Should I try upping them anyway?

My blood sugar issues during the day have gotten alot better but now I have insomnia. Ugh!

AMC
    Oh boy can't wait for that. So this is normal? Everyone else seems to think its not!

Zach is offline Banned
    Definitally not normal. Try a snack of sugar, salt, saturated fat right before bed. If you have gelatin, take some of that as well.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    It certainly happened to me. Just took time to adapt, but was brutal while it lasted. I also take magnesium citrate (calm). Can't remember but I think it took me about a month to adjust.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Oh boy can't wait for that. So this is normal? Everyone else seems to think its not!
    Define "normal"

Everyone's stress hormones elevate at night, but for some of us any additional little changes in diet or lifestyle that stress the body send our stress hormones over the edge. If I'm low carb I cant sleep for more than 3 to 4 hours, seven nights a week. It gets hellish.

But seriously, try wearing warmer clothes to bed. I've been through the same thing as you: I've researched insomnia for literally years. It's worth trying.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast