Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switched to primal, can't sleep page 3

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ah, okay There's never just one reason for any issue: it's usually multi-factoral.

Regarding the food: Try going back to higher carb but without whole grains or whatever. I'm not saying this is a better way to eat, but it would be interesting to see if eating higher carb makes you feel less stressed. Primal is reasonably low carb, but Paleo is not.

You could be less bloated cos' you've cut out whole grains (and dairy?) And yeah, eat something more substantial than nuts in the evening. Don't be shy with your carbs at that point.

Regarding the stress: Have you ever mediated? Some people focus on their breath, but that doesn't work for me. Another one is imagining like youre looking through the centre of your forehead, beyond the blackness. What i find really helpful saying a mantra over and over when I'm falling asleep. I recommend a neutral statement that that acknowledges your current state, instead of trying to be positive. So in your case, you could say something like "I know my mind is busy". IF that makes sense!
    Thank you! Do you have any tips on how to facilitate weight loss? It seems like lowering calories/carbs/whatever is inevitably going to fire up my cortisol and stress hormones. So how do people have all of this miraculous weight loss on paleo/primal?
    I will try higher carb for a week or so and see where that takes me!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Thank you! Do you have any tips on how to facilitate weight loss? It seems like lowering calories/carbs/whatever is inevitably going to fire up my cortisol and stress hormones. So how do people have all of this miraculous weight loss on paleo/primal?
    I will try higher carb for a week or so and see where that takes me!
    I think the most important thing is nurturing your metabolism by the way you live. The way you eat, and the way you exercise effect your metabolism, and it's not the same for everyone. If you're metabolism is working properly, you'll lose weight. That's basically the difficulty with weight gain and hypothyroidism!

If you are hypo, I think you need to eat thyroid supporting foods. Which are carbs, salt, iodine etc.

High fat works really well for some people, but not for others, and it seems that people with weak thyroids don't do well on it. I did it for six months and never got any of the benefits they talk about. I felt constantly hungry and deprived (which would indicate I never achieved that illusive "fat burning mode"), but more than that: I was never satisfied. I couldn't sleep, felt like a maniac (more than usual ), but it all makes sense now: I had an underlying thyroid condition so it wasn't suitable for me. Personally a balanced approach is working for me. It's making me less neurotic and I'm gradually losing the weight I gained over the last year (since going Primal, ironically :P)
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AMC
    I think the most important thing is nurturing your metabolism by the way you live. The way you eat, and the way you exercise effect your metabolism, and it's not the same for everyone. If you're metabolism is working properly, you'll lose weight. That's basically the difficulty with weight gain and hypothyroidism!

If you are hypo, I think you need to eat thyroid supporting foods. Which are carbs, salt, iodine etc.

High fat works really well for some people, but not for others, and it seems that people with weak thyroids don't do well on it. I did it for six months and never got any of the benefits they talk about. I felt constantly hungry and deprived (which would indicate I never achieved that illusive "fat burning mode"), but more than that: I was never satisfied. I couldn't sleep, felt like a maniac (more than usual ), but it all makes sense now: I had an underlying thyroid condition so it wasn't suitable for me. Personally a balanced approach is working for me. It's making me less neurotic and I'm gradually losing the weight I gained over the last year (since going Primal, ironically :P)
    Interesting! Since going primal my hunger issues have actually gotten alot better! I used to feel like the world was ending if I didn't eat every 2 hours at least. Now I can go 4 hours since upping the fat. Which is why I'm so confused about this sleep issue! I might just stop counting everything and see where my body takes me. I am going to always stay away from VLC though! I'll experiment high carb before I ditch counting- just to see if tha works!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Interesting! Since going primal my hunger issues have actually gotten alot better! I used to feel like the world was ending if I didn't eat every 2 hours at least. Now I can go 4 hours since upping the fat. Which is why I'm so confused about this sleep issue! I might just stop counting everything and see where my body takes me. I am going to always stay away from VLC though! I'll experiment high carb before I ditch counting- just to see if tha works!
    Interesting that your hunger has gotten better... Although from everything I've read it seems like no one really knows what hunger is. There are lots of theories...

Bottom line - definitely listen to your body! Experiment and see what happens. Don't make drastic changes though - incremental. Let me know how it goes!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AMC
    Interesting that your hunger has gotten better... Although from everything I've read it seems like no one really knows what hunger is. There are lots of theories...

Bottom line - definitely listen to your body! Experiment and see what happens. Don't make drastic changes though - incremental. Let me know how it goes!
    I know- Its so weird to me! My energy levels and blood sugar have gotten pretty stable so it's throwing me off. But yes, I will definitely listen to the bod and move slowly and strategically so I can rule out what works. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your help, definitely thankful to have you around here!!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    It does seem that everyone's road is different. I don't even think can generalize by sex age or other issues. I would be the typical case where it wouldn't work well, but it has been really great for me. I lost most of my weight while still very hypothyroid, and at 54 obviously pretty screwed up hormonally. Saliva has shown low DHEA. progesterone very very low, estrogen high. Just in the process now of correcting those issues somewhat. My hunger/cravings vanished while on this, I cut out all starchy carbs while in the weight loss phase, ate berries and bananas, and other veg. but not in that great a quantity, and upped my fat intake. I did have the sleep issue for quite a while though, feeling wired at night and restless legs. I tried different things to help, but ended up on the magnesium, but I think it was mainly time that corrected it.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    It does seem that everyone's road is different. I don't even think can generalize by sex age or other issues. I would be the typical case where it wouldn't work well, but it has been really great for me. I lost most of my weight while still very hypothyroid, and at 54 obviously pretty screwed up hormonally. Saliva has shown low DHEA. progesterone very very low, estrogen high. Just in the process now of correcting those issues somewhat. My hunger/cravings vanished while on this, I cut out all starchy carbs while in the weight loss phase, ate berries and bananas, and other veg. but not in that great a quantity, and upped my fat intake. I did have the sleep issue for quite a while though, feeling wired at night and restless legs. I tried different things to help, but ended up on the magnesium, but I think it was mainly time that corrected it.
    Thanks silver girl! I think experimentation is key, cause you're right- we all react differently. Glad to hear that other people have had the insomnia too and that it goes away for the most part. I was getting frustrated and ready to give up on primal!

I did higher carbs (by alot) the past three nights just to see. And it didnt even affect my sleep! Still the same old insomnia. So I'm just going to eat to my hunger and see if it passes naturally.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've found losing weight and eating a heavy dinner are two things that delay my sleep. Losing weight while eating a heavy dinner, even more so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123