Thread: Need lunch ideas page

EMonger is offline Member

Need lunch ideas

Shop Now
    I'm a truck driver--sedentary job--who's trying to go primal. I'm way overweight, and new DOT regulations are going to put an end to my career if that doesn't change. I tried to make the change a couple months ago, but I broke my wrist, can't prepare food, etc., so I put it on hold. Actually, I've been sitting around eating whatever I want and getting fatter. But I'm going back to work next week, going to resume preparing food, etc., and I need some ideas of what to eat for lunch.

Here's the deal. I make several stops per day, running all local. I drive a short distance, get unloaded, which takes 30-60 minutes, drive back for another load, and repeat. The only exercise I get is dropping a trailer and hooking up the next one, which I do 4 times per shift.

So, lunch... Lunch is eaten while being unloaded. It always used to be a sandwich, some fruit, yogurt, whatever. Of course, bread and the yogurt will be out. I ate those things because my ability to eat in the truck is somewhat limited. I can eat something with a spoon or fork, but realistically only one thing and not something I would have to cut.

As the summer sets in, I'm not going to want a lot of hot food. So gazpacho is on my list for at least one night a week, and if I have a few different recipes, I suppose it could be two nights. I ate lettuce wraps for a while and got tied of them pretty fast, so unless I come up with some awesome new recipe, I'll probably only eat them once a week. So that's 3 cold/cool meals a week, 2 if I get tired of gazpacho and eat it once a week.

I love steamed broccoli with butter sauce, but I've always hated raw broccoli and cauliflower, not too crazy about most raw vegetables.

Whatever I end up making, I plan to cook all meals on the weekend, running a slow cooker, oven, toaster oven, stove top, whatever it takes, then freeze and use them throughout the week as necessary.

Ok, all that in the mix, can anyone give me some ideas of what to eat on my lunch break at work? I appreciate the suggestions.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Boiled eggs.

Bacon and egg "muffins"

Ham and vege quiche.

Thermos of meat and vege soup. Oops no sorry you don't want hot food.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I have a brother-in-law who's a truck driver in France. Over time, he developed a big belly (lots of visceral fat). I told him a few weeks ago that the best thing he could do, if not fully primal, is to ditch wheat products (it is a daily staple food in France ... ) and refined sugar. He can still have other starchy stuff (potatoes, rice) but in minimal quantities. With the rest (meats, fish, eggs, veggies, lower glycemic fruits), he can just go ahead asmuch as he wants. I know for a fact that his appetite will be greatly affected by the absence of wheat and sugar. So, not fully primal but way better when the biggest offenders are eliminated.

To you, I would say that if you're OK with that, try intermittent fasting, i.e: no lunch at all. This kind of meal skipping is actually pretty good, provided that you eat NUTRITIOUS real foods at your other meals (I am at one meal a day myself, feel great but it takes some adaptation like 6 months primal maybe).

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Chicken wrapped in bacon and baked, then chopped up in a container for lunches. Nomnomnom.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Tuna salad is easy and cheap to make, cold spaghetti sauce with meat in it, sausages, really any leftover that you can eat cold. Cut it up before you put it into containers. Keep trying new things and just do your best. This is not a temporary change, but an evolution that takes time. Best of luck!

GuitarGrok is offline Member
    You could do a nice big salad with some chicken, or bacon on it, and a mixture of olive oil, and balsamic vinegar for the dressing. I have recently started making my own dressing, by mixing the olive oil, and vinegar in a big container with some herbs to add a bit more flavor, and the best thing about that dressing is that it doesn't need to be kept cold.

Another option if you are in a pinch, and didn't bring enough food is to stop by a grocery store, or if you have a stop close to one you could always get some cheese, and cold cuts, or can of sardines, or tuna, or if they have it bbq or rotisserie chicken. It is always good to have an alternate to fast foods no matter what you do for a living.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    There are a lot of good ideas here:

Make beef jerky and or pemmican
    IF is a good plan- eat a great breakfast and work through lunch
    meatloaf/meatballs can be good cold as well
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    There are a lot of good ideas here:

Make beef jerky and or pemmican
    IF is a good plan- eat a great breakfast and work through lunch