Thread: When should I start to use a weight vest? page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

When should I start to use a weight vest?

Shop Now
    Right now I am doing the Ten Sets of Hell bodyweight workout routine:

10 burpees
    10 pushups
    10 dips
    10 pull ups
    10 squats

That is one set. Nine more after that. The goal is to do all Ten Sets in under 20 minutes.

I was just wondering when do I know when to buy a weight vest? When I do buy the weight vest how much weight should I start with? 40 pounds? 50 pounds? I would like to buy a weight vest that adjusts to 100 pounds. If someone knows of a cheaper option than a weight vest please let me know. I have had to put working out to the side for right now. Taking care of my newborn son takes the most time of my day.

But now I need to workout again.

To give you an idea of where I am at right now. I am 5'7" tall and weigh 185 pounds. I am a skinny fat type of guy. My wife tells me I gained weight in my head and my stomach area. I have skinny forearms. I hate it.

I hope someone here can help me out. Thank you.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    When to buy a weight vest is a tough question. What are your workout goals?

As far as a substitute, I have used 2 10lb ankle weights strapped end to end around my waist before. But I am probably a smaller waisted guy than you.

When you do buy a weight vest, don't cheap out. The only thing worse than spending $200 on a quality weight vest is spending $120 on a junky one which you hate so much you then go out and spend $200 on a quality one. Which will happen if you go cheap.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i was thinking the same thing. i have an adjustable 40lb weight vest, and i use it different weights for different exercises. push ups and squats i use 40 lbs. pull ups and chinups i can barely do because i still have quite a bit of fat, so i add maybe 5 at the most. more if im doing some of the easier progressions. do a max set with the full 40 pounds, remove 5 during your rest interval, do a max set and repeat until there is no weight in the vest. i do that for push ups and think it is a killer workout. i hope this helps some what