Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

Big Green Egg

Shop Now
    Housemate got tired of big, old gas barbecue. We looked at the options and she decided to get a medium-size Big Green Egg. I do the grilling and loved the idea, but tried to talk her out of it because of the cost. (She was buying.)

It arrived yesterday, already assembled. If you have the money, it really is worth it.

Big Groky chunks of charcoal. Non-toxic starter cube. Starts instantly, gets hot very quickly. Very quick, precise temperature control. Can get up to 700 degrees safely. When you are done cooking, seal the egg. No oxygen so fire goes out. Made in Mexico, not China. I'd far rather have my money go to Mexico.

Expected to have to experiment for a while to get it right. But chicken last night and beef tonight were perfect.

I could never buy an egg. Way out of my budget. Housemate planned her retirement well, so was able to buy.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    I love smokers and barbecue, and the BGE has a great reputation in the books and magazine articles I have seen.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    But HUGE cost!! I got a Weber smoky mountain for 120 here in the UK - love it and I just can't see how I'd have been any happier with the egg - having "shelled out"(sorry!!) an extra 600 for a ceramic one.

Oh, I agree about the cost. From my housemate's point of view, there is an aesthetic issue too. It is a work of art.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    We have one and love it for smoking. Hubby is the expert - I enjoy the product. He smoked lake trout last night - awesome. the temp control is excellent for hours and hours of cooking/smoking. Congrats on your purchase!

Thanks!

gongfather is offline Junior Member
    Just bought a Char-griller Kamada Akorn. Same concept as BGE but less money ($300). I'm sure it's not as nice but so far I'm happy with it. Grills and smokes very well. Lots of YouTube videos on it.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    We have the BGE. We love it.
    Pulled pork, whole turkey, salmon, prime rib and just everything comes out so good. There is a bit of a learning curve with it.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Bought a BGE ripoff with lifetime warranty. Kamado Pro from Vision Grills. Best $1000 ever spent!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Halima Dances is offline Junior Member
    It's neat looking, but when I tried to lift the lid I nearly herniated myself.
    Does anyone else find it very heavy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast