Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to elevate depressed mood w/o caffeine? page

shema is offline Senior Member

How to elevate depressed mood w/o caffeine?

I developed postpartum depression after giving birth a little over 5 months ago. The depression manifests itself in oppressive fatigue, deep feelings of hopelessness, mental fog and crying spells.

I've noticed that even small amounts of black coffee elevate not only my energy but my mood considerable. I suddenly become optimistic, excited about life, and my thinking is so much clearer/creative, etc.

I don't want to become addicted to caffeine so I'm wondering if there are other natural ways to elevate my mood/balance my neurotransmitters that are safer/nonaddictive?

For context please note:

- That I am a Type II Diabetic so I cannot tolerate a big carb load. (I say this to acknowledge that there are many on this board that are against VLC.).

-I am taking Vitamin D on a daily basis. 2 years ago I tested low for Vitamin D levels but they are now normal.

-I am taking fish oil supplements and trying to eat more salmon...

-I'm also taking Calcium/Magnesium supplements since I've read low magnesium can affect mood...
    Last edited by shema; 05-01-2013 at 10:00 PM.

I absolutely love black coffee, not just for the overall effect but I love the flavor too.

But I worry that it does have addictive properties, and that the more I drink, the more I'll need it to stay awake or feel happy, and it'll turn into a vicious cycle.

If someone can convince me that this is not the case and that drinking black coffee will not be addictive, then I'm happy to drink more often! :-)

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Cold Showers!

Just google how cold showers have helped so many people with depression/anxiety!

Zach is offline Banned
    Drink the coffee!!! Its not a drug or crutch, its healthy and sounds like it might sace your life. Stop viewing foods as either good or bad.

Also drop the fish oil and limit the amount of PUFA and muscle meat in your diet. Btw there are many people who believe that type 2 diabetics should eat more carbs from the roght sources, not less. Maybe play around with a low fat/low protein/high carb diet with most of the calories coming from fruit sugar.

Raypeat.com and 180degreehealth.com write quite a bit about this.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    As another coffee lover I understand your dillemma - but limiting it is probably a good thing. I try to keep it to two cups per day but the stuff just smells so incredible.....anyway physical activity and sunlight are both far more powerful ways to boost your mood. And longer lasting than coffee !
    Last edited by Owen; 05-02-2013 at 05:00 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Read Julia Ross' "The Mood Cure". I don't know if she addresses PPD specifically, but it covers depression. I believe it also covers the effects of caffeine on depression.

A bit of coffee is probably not going to hurt you, but you also probably don't need to rely on it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    coffee, if it works, is better than a prescription anti-depressant - my daughter had serious PPD and it was getting to the point where she couldn't even leave the house. Her doctor put her on an anti-depressant (can't recall which one at the moment - think it was lexapro) for awhile and it pulled her out of it. Having gone through depression, but not PPD, myself, I find that exercise and sunlight help a lot.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely drink and enjoy the coffee. Just keep your intake moderate and watch that you're not letting it creep up. S long as it's not gradually creeping up and you're not noticing any negative side effects (eg jitteriness, palpitations) then I think you should enjoy both the coffee and its benefits.

Sunlight and some enjoyable, mood-boosting exercise are the other things that spring to mind. Things that do it for me are astanga yoga and dancing.

Chocolate and potatoes also have mood-boosting effects.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    STRESS.

I've suffered from depression for my whole life, and burn out for the last ten years. I've been keeping a journal for the last two months, and it's finally made me see that all my depression and energy crashes stem from stress.

People talk about stress management all the time, but I don't believe many people actually know how to do it. People take holidays / go for a assage etc., but the only way to combat stress is to be aware of when it's happening: not when you're alreayd stressed. It's a "every moment" process.

If you don't think stress is the cause then I recommend keeping a journal so that you can begin to notice patterns in your mood / cycle / diet / sleep etc.

Good luck!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-02-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, all of you, your insights are spot on:

-Stress. Yes, you’re right, I’m terribly stressed. In addition to juggling with a colicky baby I’ve returned to an incredibly demanding job that’s eating away at me. Right now I’m putting in about 50-60 hours/week. My boss insists that being overworked in this economy is the new reality at all organizations, and that if I can’t handle it, there are countless other who will pounce to take my place. Yikes. This reality IS depressing. Not sure how to combat stress in this scenario.

-On the Julia Ross book: OMG! I bought her book maybe 5 years ago? I’ll have to dig it up! She’s the one who talks about using food and supplements to balance mood right? What I remember from way back is she recommended GABA to create a calm mood...but it didn’t help me when I had a public speaking gig...but I'm sure there's other useful info...

-Yeah. I love coffee. The smell, the taste, the way it makes me feel. Thanks everyone, for reassuring me that I can indulge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast