Thread: Supplements (specifically magnesium and calcium) page

jtuwiner is offline Junior Member

Supplements (specifically magnesium and calcium)

Primal Fuel
    I'm a college student and don't believe I'm getting the proper amount of magnesium in my diet. I also believe i have many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.

My only question is, what is the best kind of magnesium supplement to buy? And do you need to take it with calcium?

I've searched for answers but have yet to find a good one. I'd like to hear from some of you about your experience with this.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I normally take 200 mg magnesium citrate. Any more and I have loose stools. Any less and I have allergies and trouble sleeping. If pollen is bad, I take more with no problems.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

PrimalJason is offline Junior Member
    I take Magnesium Malate. Source Naturals brand from Amazon at about $9. No side effects.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013R...d_hpc_img?vs=1

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuwiner View Post
    I'm a college student and don't believe I'm getting the proper amount of magnesium in my diet. I also believe i have many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
    It's unlikely you are, because it tends to be depleted in soil, owing to use of PNK fertlizers rather than manure for fertlizing fields. Measurements on common vegetables across the years apparently show a steady decline in the content of several minerals (including this one) since WWII, when intensive farming really got going. Stress also tends to deplete it from your body, and contemporary life is stressful.

There's an article at the WAPF site on some of these issues. As I recall this one isn't by a scientist and doesn't seem rigorous throughout, but it would be worth looking out and reading:

The Weston A. Price Foundation - Weston A Price Foundation

Just do a search there on "magnesium".

My only question is, what is the best kind of magnesium supplement to buy? And do you need to take it with calcium?
    I use the malate like the poster in post #4. There are other forms that seem to be readily absorbable.

The powder you make up into a drink -- Naturalcalm -- which, IIRC, is a citrate, is popular and seems OK, but if you overdo it, you'll get the runs. It has a laxative effect.

Jack Kruse says not to take Mg supplements with vitamin D3 but to choose a different time of day. See #7 here:

WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN PALEO SUPPLEMENTS? | Living an Optimized Life

Current thinking in Paleo circles is that you don't need to take calcium supplements. If you needed to take them it would probably be best to take them in the form of microcystalline hydroxapaptite, which is the form they occur in in bone. Less readily absorbable forms could cause problems. But you shouldn't need them: the role of calcium in bone health seems to be overblown -- (a) the protein matrix in the bone is likely more important, and (b) it's not so much the calcium as your ability to use what's available. That seems to depend on the MK4 form of vitamin K2. If there's nothing in any of Mark's daily editorials on this -- but I'm pretty sure there is -- there's almost certainly something on Professor Cordain's site.

An occasional piece of good quality cheese will supply you with some calcium, if it's a worry -- and, probably more importantly, some K2.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I take mag citrate myself. Cheap "Now" brand powdered. Works great, keeps the soreness and cramps away, lowers BP, I sleep better, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think you may be fear mongering yourself re: magnesium deficiency. It's an important mineral but honestly, people gave gone their whole life without supplementation and eating a SAD and it's not going to majorly hurt your health. I haven't taken it for long myself, just the past year, for softer stools. I prefer Solgar brand magnesium citrate, and I take 400mg daily.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ciro is offline Junior Member
    When taking magnesium supplements, you need to be aware that many forms have very low absorption rate. Non-organic forms like magnesium oxide are purely absorbed. They also can cause some side effects such as constipation.

Organic forms of magnesium supplements, for example magnesium citrates or chelates are much better. They cause less or no side effects and are more readily absorbed.

Even better is getting magnesium straight from food which normally contains other minerals and vitamins that aid absorption.

Magnesium can be found in many types of foods. Here is an example of magnesium rich foods (both vegetarian and animal sources): Good Dietary Sources of Magnesium - Top 120 Rich Food List

I took magnesium for two days and ended up throwing the whole bottle away because of side effects. It's a diuretic. I was running to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I woke up in the middle of the night the second night with serious kidney pain. I went to the bathroom and it went away, but I never took another magnesium tablet. I started taking them because I was having leg cramps at night and read that magnesium could help. I increased my sodium after that and have been fine ever since.
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

musicko is offline Junior Member
    yeah.If pollen is bad, I take more with no problems. thank you