Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daredevils and adrenaline junkies page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Daredevils and adrenaline junkies

Primal Fuel
    Are they suicidal? The only ones I know, personally, come from messed up family situations. And they are all boys/men. But none of the men in my extended family are daredevils. I hate the way adrenaline makes me feel, I'm an endorphin girl all the way. I suspect my life experience is limiting me.

I started thinking about this because the older brother of one of DS's closest friends killed himself on his motorcycle last weekend. I say killed himself, because police estimate he was going 160mi/hr when he lost control and body slammed a pole. Of course his helmet didn't save him at the speed. He was 32, so not some moronic teenager, intoxicated by the hormones of puberty. Is the rush of going that fast worth it if you don't secretly wish you were dead?

Maybe a primal forum isn't the best place to ask. I suspect men who fuss over their diets aren't generally daredevils either. I guess I'm just feeling really sad for his mother.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Scientists who have studied lifespan differences between men and women have found that the difference is male risk-taking behavior. I personally think it is a learned behavior. It runs in families that encourage their boys to "be boys". They grow up into men who drink a case of beer and jump off the roof for fun.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    It has nothing to do with family, my mother didn't raise me to be a man of any sort, she didn't really raise me at all. I like to take risks because of boredom, I want to feel something, anything. I'm numb to the daily grind, and the only thing I can think about is circumstances and what would happen if I did something completely insane right now, where would it take me, how would it alter my life?

Nothing real exciting has happen so far. I'm not stimulated by stupid shit like jumping off roofs, jumping out of a plane is another story though.

I'm real sorry about the loss. He's at peace now though.
    nihil

wiltondeportes Guest
    I think excessive risk taking is probably some kind of psychological condition. Maybe momma didn't love them enough or something. I'll bring in the somewhat tired point: would Grok think taking unnecessary risks is fun? I think he'd certainly take risks and love the feel of adrenaline, but I doubt he would've done the equivalent of 160 on a motorcycle.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    to bring out cliched words; a rush and exhilaration

i saw a video of people swinging out, back and forth, over what looked like the grand canyon. if i'd been there i probably would have tried to have a turn too

there's nothing wrong with a person for being a dare devil, they're having a good time
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a female "adrenaline junkie" I suppose.

Out of the box? Maybe.
    I own a sports bike, and have frequently ridden it at 100+ mph(like every time it leaves the garage).
    Good roller coasters maker me superhappy. I don't ever scream on roller coasters, I laugh... like the best belly laughs, and feel sort of soothed all over when I get off the ride.
    I've done the Skycoaster in Orlando a bunch, a 300ft freefall/swing. I LOVE IT! SkyCoaster Kissimmee | Fun Spot Attractions
    I sincerely want to skydive, and plan to do a tandem jump this year.
    I frequently bridge/cliff jumped as a kid, starting at about 10/11yrs old on bridges 20ft up and going from there to the 30ft range which is all we had access too.
    I also rode dirt bikes, and horses which I jumped.

I don't think that that behavior was encouraged in me, it just was not discouraged. I was a "tomboy" in many ways and that was never frowned upon.

I do not have even the vaguest "death wish".
    I think that equating those things is just silly IMO.
    When I do those things I feel ALIVE and wonderful.
    And that's my experience of what other adrenaline junkies say they feel too, MORE ALIVE.
    If you don't like that feeling don't do it. *shrug*

There is a good deal of research that indicates that people who like or are prone to high risk behaviors have a mutation or change on a specific gene(DRD4) that is linked to this.
    So, really a parent can encourage that shy reserved non-risk kid all they want... and that kid isn't going to grow up to race motorcycles.
    And a parent can admonish a rick taking/climbing/full throttle kind of kid all day to slow down and be careful... and that kid will probably keep right at seeking a thrill by jumping off the top bunk onto the beanbag.

Some people think its better to take some risk and feel wonderful while doing it than to sit on their thumbs and watch the world go by in slow motion.
    This guys might agree.

The truth is I wish I had the knowledge, skill, and NUTZ to do what the guy in that video is doing, because WOW. A successful fly like that would have be amazing.

Also. Please try to remember this...
    Just getting in your car and driving to work every day is pretty dangerous statistically.
    Way more dangerous that motorcycle riding.
    Really. It has nothing to do with weather or not YOU are in control.
    A cement truck could hit your conservative driving self tomorrow.
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I think excessive risk taking is probably some kind of psychological condition. Maybe momma didn't love them enough or something. I'll bring in the somewhat tired point: would Grok think taking unnecessary risks is fun? I think he'd certainly take risks and love the feel of adrenaline, but I doubt he would've done the equivalent of 160 on a motorcycle.
    Tying bands of vegetation/vine ropes to your feet and jump a huge towers head down (a la bungee style), with the goal of your shoulders making contact with the ground but not enough to be injured, with the end result being possible death isn't risky enough for you? Weeeeeee!
    Land diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You jump off a 80 foot tower and get back to me on that.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    all that AND they're free ballin

if that isn't grokkish i don't know what is
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    all that AND they're free ballin

if that isn't grokkish i don't know what is
    AND Anointed in coconut oil baby!

Totes grokkish.

I'll ride my bike at 100+ all day long, but I'm seriously not jumping off a bamboo tower with vines tied to my ankles to whack my shoulder on the ground while hoping not to die... naked an greased in coconut.
    I'm not that big an adrenaline junkie! I'm not CRAZY!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    She most certainly does love me, and I don't care what some arbitrary ideals of a perceived imaginary caveman thinks. Grok is us, and we are grok. In that case, there is grok in all of us, so yes, he would do something like that. Grok isn't some higher being, grok is human, with all our faults and imperfections. Which is why living up to a "caveman diet" is silly, because grok never had the choice, and if he did, he'd make all the same mistakes and keep making them as we do.
    nihil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast