Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daredevils and adrenaline junkies page 2

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm a female "adrenaline junkie" I suppose.

Out of the box? Maybe.
    I own a sports bike, and have frequently ridden it at 100+ mph(like every time it leaves the garage).
    Good roller coasters maker me superhappy. I don't ever scream on roller coasters, I laugh... like the best belly laughs, and feel sort of soothed all over when I get off the ride.
    I've done the Skycoaster in Orlando a bunch, a 300ft freefall/swing. I LOVE IT! SkyCoaster Kissimmee | Fun Spot Attractions
    I sincerely want to skydive, and plan to do a tandem jump this year.
    I frequently bridge/cliff jumped as a kid, starting at about 10/11yrs old on bridges 20ft up and going from there to the 30ft range which is all we had access too.
    I also rode dirt bikes, and horses which I jumped.

I don't think that that behavior was encouraged in me, it just was not discouraged. I was a "tomboy" in many ways and that was never frowned upon.

I do not have even the vaguest "death wish".
    I think that equating those things is just silly IMO.
    When I do those things I feel ALIVE and wonderful.
    And that's my experience of what other adrenaline junkies say they feel too, MORE ALIVE.
    If you don't like that feeling don't do it. *shrug*

There is a good deal of research that indicates that people who like or are prone to high risk behaviors have a mutation or change on a specific gene(DRD4) that is linked to this.
    So, really a parent can encourage that shy reserved non-risk kid all they want... and that kid isn't going to grow up to race motorcycles.
    And a parent can admonish a rick taking/climbing/full throttle kind of kid all day to slow down and be careful... and that kid will probably keep right at seeking a thrill by jumping off the top bunk onto the beanbag.

Some people think its better to take some risk and feel wonderful while doing it than to sit on their thumbs and watch the world go by in slow motion.
    This guys might agree.

The truth is I wish I had the knowledge, skill, and NUTZ to do what the guy in that video is doing, because WOW. A successful fly like that would have be amazing.

Also. Please try to remember this...
    Just getting in your car and driving to work every day is pretty dangerous statistically.
    Way more dangerous that motorcycle riding.
    Really. It has nothing to do with weather or not YOU are in control.
    A cement truck could hit your conservative driving self tomorrow.
    Awesome flight and i can see why he was so hyped after a near miss, but I wonder if I was so stoked after his friend was killed hitting a bridge at 120 mph, or after he hit Table Mountain at similar speeds and was seriously injured.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Two children have died in my ex-husband's family doing things that I would not have permitted a child of mine to do.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Once children are grown it's not a matter of permission.
    All adults make their own decisions, and accept the risks, for their own choices... even the ones stopping at McDonald's every single day after work for a BigMac, super sized fry, and liter of coke.

I've known people who have died/seriously injured during high risk behavior.
    I've also known people who've died/been permanently crippled living quiet lives... shit happens.
    I guarantee I know more people who will go to their deaths in some random way, after years saying "I'd never do "x" that's too dangerous!", but I know for a fact that they do stupid shit like drive home from the bar on Friday night after half a dozen drinks.

Also, I'm completely aware that Jeb Corliss has been injured(more than once), and he continues to enjoy jumping/gliding!
    Maybe you should watch some of his interviews on the subject.
    http://teamcoco.com/video/jeb-corliss-accident
    And guys have been killed doing what he does. That is the risk that they accept.
    The other guys they jump with know that. And don't hold their choices against them if they die doing what they love.
    Just like race car drivers don't hate on other race car drivers if there is a death. Or drag bike riders... Or whatever.
    It's really not all that different than the risk that we all accept every time we drive.
    There were 32,367 traffic fatalities in 2011... many of those were caused by other people crashing into safe conservative drivers.
    Except that most people envelop themselves in some sort of bubble of illusion that they are "safe" because they are driving safely, and they are the ones in control. No. Not really. That would only be true if you were the only person on the road.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    There is a good deal of research that indicates that people who like or are prone to high risk behaviors have a mutation or change on a specific gene(DRD4) that is linked to this.
    That's pretty interesting. Genetic/biochemical effects on behavior/thinking are pretty interesting in general.

I want to be clear that I'm not talking about all risk taking behavior. I have a colleague who has climbed most of the major peaks in the world and a neighbor whose son is a Navy Seal. Both men obviously enjoy the feeling adrenaline gives them. No way could they do what they do if they didn't. But they also clearly get a lot of pleasure from the mental discipline that's required to be any good at what they do. I know my colleague is very interested in not dying, because he puts a lot of thought into avoiding it.

Also, the family of the man who died on his motorcycle was abandoned by the father when he was 11 and his little brothers were 2 and 4. It wouldn't surprise me if the mother is feeling like doing the best she could with 3 energetic little boys wasn't good enough. Any time a child struggles, a good parent will wonder if they should have done something differently. But no way did she not love them enough.

I'm off to read about DRD4.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Duplicate
    Last edited by LauraSB; 05-02-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't consider myself a daredevil yet I love to split the lanes when I'm riding my Vespa and zoom in and out of traffic. I also hiked 3000 miles alone in the wilderness and loved it when I would go days without seeing another human being. I've also got some tattoos, my momma loved me, I've only ever met one person named Bubba in my life, I don't drink much beer and I never handle rattlesnakes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    At the same time, humankind has been greatly improved by those willing to take risks, even crazy ones, like taking the Oregon Trail, or revolting against the ruler of the day, or risking their lives in an airplane that the world has never seen.

Evolutionarily, those who are extreme daredevils should weed themselves out of the gene pool sooner rather than later, but there is apparently some reason that trait still exists, and is attractive to many women.

Misabi is online now Senior Member

I've known people who have died/seriously injured during high risk behavior.
    I've also known people who've died/been permanently crippled living quiet lives... shit happens.
    I guarantee I know more people who will go to their deaths in some random way, after years saying "I'd never do "x" that's too dangerous!", but I know for a fact that they do stupid shit like drive home from the bar on Friday night after half a dozen drinks.

Also, I'm completely aware that Jeb Corliss has been injured(more than once), and he continues to enjoy jumping/gliding!
    Maybe you should watch some of his interviews on the subject.
    http://teamcoco.com/video/jeb-corliss-accident
    And guys have been killed doing what he does. That is the risk that they accept.
    The other guys they jump with know that. And don't hold their choices against them if they die doing what they love.
    Just like race car drivers don't hate on other race car drivers if there is a death. Or drag bike riders... Or whatever.
    It's really not all that different than the risk that we all accept every time we drive.
    There were 32,367 traffic fatalities in 2011... many of those were caused by other people crashing into safe conservative drivers.
    Except that most people envelop themselves in some sort of bubble of illusion that they are "safe" because they are driving safely, and they are the ones in control. No. Not really. That would only be true if you were the only person on the road.
    Absolutely agree and thanks for the link. I wasn't hating on anyone, just a thought after watching the clip of his mate hitting that bridge.

I used to do a lot if rock climbing and the calculated risks were a part of the rush, for sure. Although I eventually stopped climbing it wasn't because of any of the falls people I knew had (some resulting in serious injuries, but luckily no deaths). As you say, we just accepted it as a possible outcome and it was either a case of bad luck or unfortunate error when it did happen.

On the other hand, a friend of mine was a total adrenaline junky, skydiving fast bikes etc. and one day just gave it all up after seeing too many other jumpers and bikers hurt or killed. Said he realised that if you do it long enough, eventually your luck will run out.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    Everybody takes risks. Some of them are obvious. If I go out on my motorbike or go rock climbing I am taking an obvious risk (and I LOVE it!!) but those who sit there tutting at people like me then drive, or eat the wrong foods, or sit around gawping at the tv are all taking risks too. It's just not so obvious and it's long term. If you are not an adrenaline junkie and you want to complain about people who are then fine. But I really do pity you. You have no idea what you are missing. No idea at all.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    She most certainly does love me, and I don't care what some arbitrary ideals of a perceived imaginary caveman thinks. Grok is us, and we are grok. In that case, there is grok in all of us, so yes, he would do something like that. Grok isn't some higher being, grok is human, with all our faults and imperfections. Which is why living up to a "caveman diet" is silly, because grok never had the choice, and if he did, he'd make all the same mistakes and keep making them as we do.
    Save the mumbo jumbo because you're missing my point. If people went out and did stuff like the prehistoric equivalent of 160mph on a motorcycle, their risks would have resulted in lots of deaths. At the very least, lots of lost limbs or broken bones. Remember, prehistoric man didn't have the ER. I don't care how much grassfed meat you eat; it's not going to put pins in your compound fractured leg.

This would lower the frequency of their genes in the gene pool over time. Basically, this is probably not a common thing for a human to "naturally" do. So if you're out doing stuff like that you're either A) a rare case that somehow got those risk taking genes B) not as healthy or happy as you could be.

This concept doesn't take into account the possibility that "excessive risk taking" comes from a gene that controls both this negative trait AND a positive trait, thus making it more likely to stay in the gene pool. Genetics is quite tricky the more you study it.

Using "grok" is the shorthand way of saying evolution of man. I don't see anything wrong with analyzing things through evolution. Do you?
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-03-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast