Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on how to get rid of batwings? page

cayla29s is offline Senior Member

Tips on how to get rid of batwings?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

Can you suggests some good exercise for my triceps. Currently, I only train about 2 or 3 times a week. I've done dips with my legs up on a bench with some weights on my lap. Pulldowns with a rope, skull crushers but only 10 lbs max since I can't do more than that right now. I usually do a 3x12 rep range.

I'm 5'2 and 123 currently and even when I was a bout 5 lbs lighter I still had some fat deposits in that area.

Thoughts?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i was discussing this very subject this morning. i go to the gym once a week. i dont isolate the triceps at all. i am 48 and i dont have anything you can pinch. exercises i do where i can feel my triceps are push ups, pull ups ( or chin ups in my case which is pullups with a reverse grip ) and that is on the way down so control the negative and do it slowly. i do bent over rows and cable cross overs which arent specific for tris at all but i reckon the tris help stabilise. ab wheel. ditto with stabilising. and what i really like are stiff arm pushdowns. you need to real concentrate on your form so you are working from the lats. if you do them properly the lats and the triceps get used. they are an exercise which you need to do less weight and more get the movement correct and the full ROM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Pushups?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    You can't target fat loss like that.

i.e. situps wont make a spare tire go away.

That being said, barbell rows are excellent for muscle development in the triceps/lat region.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing you can do to spot-reduce fat on your upper arms. If the flesh on your upper arms is saggy and fat, the skin will likely shrink up some if you lose that fat as part of a whole-body fat reduction project. Women can't (and don't want to) grow the size of muscles it would take to fill that skin.

I've got wing flaps of my own. After you finish losing weight, they say the skin will continue to shrink for a year or two.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There is nothing you can do to spot-reduce fat on your upper arms. If the flesh on your upper arms is saggy and fat, the skin will likely shrink up some if you lose that fat as part of a whole-body fat reduction project. Women can't (and don't want to) grow the size of muscles it would take to fill that skin.

I've got wing flaps of my own. After you finish losing weight, they say the skin will continue to shrink for a year or two.
    The lowest weight I got to was 119. At 123 I don't see much of a difference in terms of body composition. I could shoot for 115 but I felt that at 119, I was quite lean already. At 123, my stomach is already flat and I can see ab definition, I would prefer to not get any more lean than 119, I already fit into a small and x small depending on the clothing. I just don't want to look too skinny everywhere else.

I mean I don't mind some more muscle there if I can do it. I wonder if adding another type of tricep exercise instead of just doing just one would work?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you really want triceps muscles, you need to find a way to start doing dips. Start with bench dips, then when you can do 20, start doing regular dips using parallel bars, 2 chairs, or a walker.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Triceps have three heads that can be worked with differenct exercises. To work the upper part of the tricep do tricep pushbacks with a barbell (Hold for 3 seconds), tricep pressdowns or extensions using a pulley (rope or handgrip bar) work the other heads. Dips, narrow grip bench press, tricep kickbacks, tricep press all work various parts of the tricep. However as has been mentioned by others you cannot spot reduce, you can certainly try but you are unlikely to grow the muscles enought to stretch out the loose skin. Sorry, I guess I'm not being much help. Your description sounds like you are in great shape with a fairly low bodyfat so congratulations on your success so far. Best of luck!

eastok is offline Junior Member
    good info,they are an exercise which you need to do less weight and more get the movement correct and the full ROM.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    planks (or a high push up position) will do a lot, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast