Thread: Eating for muscle gain page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

Eating for muscle gain

Primal Fuel
    OK, I am the first to admit, when it comes to eating to INCEASE weight, I have no idea.

I had a body composition analysis done as part of a research project back in November, and then again 4 days ago - so almost 5 months apart. Just after I had the one in November done, I changed Thyroids med and FINALLY started to lose some weight, initially counting my calories and then with intermittent fasting, eating up to my TDEE on non-fast days and 500 on fast days.

Now, according to the two tests, I have lost 8kg - 3.3kg of fat, 3 kg of muscle, and I guess the rest is water or other. My body fat % dropped from 32.5% to 31.4% - still over the normal range according to the printout (upper limit for the normal range was 28%). I went from 71.8 to 63.8kg. BMI went from 23.8 to 21.3.
    The Body Comp Analysis also says my skeletal muscle mass is under the normal or recommended range.

So it looks like about what half of what I lost was muscle. The Body Comp Analysis then recommended that my target weight is 62.9Kg, which is a net loss of 0.9kg, but to do so I should lose 5.6k of fat, and gain 4.7kg of muscle.

I was wondering, to maximise the effectiveness of my weight lifting to try and gain more muscle, what are some similar eating strategies (either before or after weight lifting) that I can implement - i.e. timing of a protein shake or something? I don't want to bulk up, or go to the extreme that body builders do, but I would like to try and build a bit more muscle....
    Last edited by lucy1984; 05-01-2013 at 05:10 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    As long as you are eating enough extra protein on the average to respond to the muscle-building stimulus of exercise, your body will grow muscle it needs to to adapt to the exercise you do.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    You're going to find it takes a lot of effort to bulk up like a body-builder (or even close) so i would not worry about that at all. So don't hold back with the workouts, or the proteins.

Steer clear of steady-state cardio, don't cut calories or worry about losing the weight; focus on gaining the muscle. You gain more muscle, it burns more energy, and the fat should gradually come off.

How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    You're going to find it takes a lot of effort to bulk up like a body-builder (or even close) so i would not worry about that at all. So don't hold back with the workouts, or the proteins.

Steer clear of steady-state cardio, don't cut calories or worry about losing the weight; focus on gaining the muscle. You gain more muscle, it burns more energy, and the fat should gradually come off.

How tall are you?

173cm.
    So, plenty of weights, plenty of protein (after a workout?) and enough calories?

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    173cm.
    So, plenty of weights, plenty of protein (after a workout?) and enough calories?
    Weights, protein and calories, yes.

Whether you eat it after a workout or not (you may not feel hungry, etc) is largely irrelevant - just get your protein and caloris in for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Weights, protein and calories, yes.

Whether you eat it after a workout or not (you may not feel hungry, etc) is largely irrelevant - just get your protein and caloris in for the day.

Cool thanks! I really hate doing weights, I often only do them once a week, sometimes twice - but I often end up abandoning the second session for a walk. But the body comp results have shown me that I really should push myself to do them - am going to aim for three times a week.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Can you find someone to push you through weight sessions? I hated them too. I now never do it alone anymore, and having someone there to either push or or compete with is an enormous help. And then you feel awesome after, and you start seeing results, and it gets you into a positive cycle

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    You're going to find it takes a lot of effort to bulk up like a body-builder (or even close)
    Not to mention exogenous androgens, without which most women will never get muscular to the point that they can accurately be called "bulky"

I agree with the suggestion that a couple weekly sessions of LHT are in order.

What I've been doing to minimize unnecessary fluff while gaining muscle, is to eat more carbs on my the 2 days a week that I work out the hardest. To stay lean, I've been eating VLC the rest of the week.

But that's me, and I feel great on VLC. I could be VLC the whole time and feel great, but I currently believe it would create a less anabolic hormonal situation. So take it for what it's worth.