Thread: Um, how do I cook meat. page

muffinz is offline Member

Um, how do I cook meat.

Shop Now
    I bought my first ever pack of grass fed beef; it was cut into cubes. I made a delicious vegetable and beef stew tonight- the flavor is amazing and the beef is...terrible, chewy, dry. I cooked it in coconut oil then simmered it with the veggies. Well maybe not simmer- maybe heat was too high?
    How do I NOT do this but cook it well enough? Since it was cubed does it need to be cooked all the way through or no?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    put a lid on the pot and let it simmer for another 30 minutes. check the tenderness again and let it simmer longer if needed, til the fibers break down
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

vishnuns39620 is offline Junior Member
    You should definitely make sure it cooks all the way through! I usually bake meat, but letting it simmer is a great way to cook it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There are some cuts of meat that tend to cook up tougher and drier. Make a note of what you bought and how you liked it so you can learn your preferences.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    I'm doing beef casserole tomorrow, but always use a crockpot (slow cooker) and give it at least five hours.

Stovetop: you really want it on the lowest heat with enough liquid to just cover the meat and let it simmer slowly for around two hours. My favourite cut is "budget" rump. I trim off the fat and slowly fry it off to render lovely liquid beef fat to start the onions etc. Also I never "brown off" the beef first, just drop the cubes into the stock.

I use beef stock made from simmering roasted marrow bones in the crockpot and save the fat that rises to the top for general cooking. A splash of red wine into the stock also goes down well.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Stewing meat like you describe, takes HOURS of low, moist cooking to be tender.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinz View Post
    I bought my first ever pack of grass fed beef; it was cut into cubes. I made a delicious vegetable and beef stew tonight- the flavor is amazing and the beef is...terrible, chewy, dry. I cooked it in coconut oil then simmered it with the veggies. Well maybe not simmer- maybe heat was too high?
    How do I NOT do this but cook it well enough? Since it was cubed does it need to be cooked all the way through or no?
    What a shame, never mind you live and learn. Long slow cooking is what this needs. You really do not need to brown it in the coconut oil first.

My favourite method is the slowcooker and it is also the simplest. What I do: Slice some onions, mushrooms and carrots and put in the bottom of the slowcooker. Toss the cubed meat in some seasoning such as salt, pepper, cumin then coat with tomato paste. Place on top of the veges, cover and cook all day. If you are home you can stir it at half time but then quickly put the lid back on so not to lose the heat.

If there is too much liquid in the stew when you are ready you can drain it off into a smaller pot and boil on the stove until it reduces in volume, it will be thicker and tastier and you can add it back into the stew. If you can't be bothered doing all this just save the liquid as a stock for making soup another day.

You can do almost the same with an oven baked casserole, it will need more liquid such as a tin of chopped tomatoes, cover and bake at about 150C for about two hours.

Vary the veges and spices for different kinds of stew.

Good luck.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in a family that didn't eat much beef, we had a lot of fish and chicken. When I graduated from high school probably had like 3 steaks in my whole life!

That being the case I had to educate myself on how to cook steaks.

First, google and find a diagram showing the various cuts of beef! Ribeye, Sirloin, Rump, jezus. Apparently there are European and American cuts/names which adds to the confusion.

Each part of the cow has different characteristics, it's really quite interesting. Each area requires different cooking techniques.

Now I've got it down to a formula - pan fry some sirloin 3min per side, or slow tough cuts for 3hrs. If you fast cook tough meat it will suck.

It's a real art.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    See this chart, there's like a trillion different cuts/names, once you know what you are dealing with google cooking techniques for that cut.

http://dixiegrilling.com/beefchart.pdf

...damn a lot harder than chicken!

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Holy cow!!! (Pun intended. hehehe) Thanks for that info.