Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Public School in Queens now Serves ONLY Vegetraian Food. page

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member

A Public School in Queens now Serves ONLY Vegetraian Food.

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I definitely believe we need a food overhaul in the school system, and I'm all for kids eating more veggies. But this? This makes me angry.

School 244 in Flushing, Queens, becomes first public school in nation to serve only vegetarian meals: officials - NY Daily News
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Meat is unnecessary to a healthy diet, no matter how active the person is. That is a fact. The only benefit meat provides is a source of complete proteins. Proteins from meat, however, are the primary contributor to heart disease, and provide way more protein than our bodies actually require. Anybody can get enough proteins from plant-based sources very easily. This is a fact. If you disagree it is because you are unaware of the facts and I'd encourage you to read the China Study conclusions or the book Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease. Or watch Forks Over Knives.

If meat is so vital for an active person, take a look at Scott Jurek, the greatest ultra-marathoner alive. The man runs, and wins, 100 mile foot races routinely. He is a vegan. There are several vegan MMA fighters. NFL players Arian Foster and Tony Gonzalez are both vegans. John Salley, winner of 4 NBA championships, is a vegan. None of these world class athletes require meat to thrive, yet most couch potatoes act like they'll wither away and die without a big mac or a steak.

You should all really educate yourselves about what you put in your body before bashing those with knowledge. Cutting meat from your diet is probably the second healthiest thing you could do over the long run. Cutting sugars, especially high fructose corn syrup (it's what's sweet in coke), is the first.

As for this school administrator "dictating" what the kids eat - that happens already at every school. But you're all so obtuse that you think it's not. The school menus are established most often through heavy lobbying by the meat/dairy/sugar industries. So the schools already dictate that your kids eat like crap at school lunches. And you're complaining that one school has decided to dictate that the kids eat healthy. No wonder most of your kids are obese and on their way to Type 2 Diabetes - formerly known as "Adult Onset Diabetes". They had to change the name when more and more children started getting it - you see, it used to take years for a person's crappy diet to catch up to them. Now, thanks to "improvements" in the way the food industry processes foods, particularly sugar, that process is more efficient, making it possible that more children will contract this debilitating disease.

Anyways, I think it is sad that in today's world, where rampant obesity is growing, that people would go out of their way to criticize somebody who is trying to do something about it. It isn't a liberal conspiracy. It can't be, since both political parties have been happy for years and years to subsidize the meat and dairy industry and allow our schools to continually feed our children unhealthy foods.
    Great......
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think it is sad that in today's world...that people would go out of their way to criticize somebody who is trying to do something about it.
    It's not the thought that counts. "At least I'm doing something, even if it's wrong" is a piss-poor substitute for a solution.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Eesh, when I was growing up schools served just lunch (not breakfast) and you had to PAY for it. Maybe the school should stop serving breakfast and start charging for lunch, then they could afford better quality ingredients. Potatoes and beans? Talk about cheap.

Also, there is literally nothing I can eat on those menus. I almost get an allergic reaction just reading about all the wheat.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    BREAKFAST
    Fluffy egg omelet with melted cheese ...

LUNCH MENU
    ... salsa, red roasted
    potatoes and broccoli
    ... roasted zucchini
    cucumber salad
    ... chopped romaine, fresh diced tomatoes and cucumber salad

Sounds great to me! Better than most hot counters offer!

Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Eesh, when I was growing up schools served just lunch (not breakfast) and you had to PAY for it. Maybe the school should stop serving breakfast and start charging for lunch, then they could afford better quality ingredients. Potatoes and beans? Talk about cheap.

Also, there is literally nothing I can eat on those menus. I almost get an allergic reaction just reading about all the wheat.
    The reason they are serving breakfast is so that poor kids whose families don't have food for them can still start with breakfast, because kids who eat breakfast do better than those who don't. But what purpose would it serve to provide food only to kids of well-to-do families, who can certainly afford to provide their own?

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The reason they are serving breakfast is so that poor kids whose families don't have food for them can still start with breakfast, because kids who eat breakfast do better than those who don't. But what purpose would it serve to provide food only to kids of well-to-do families, who can certainly afford to provide their own?
    Don't have food for them? That is purposely misleading you need to read up on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Don't have food for them? That is purposely misleading you need to read up on the program.
    I'm not understanding your point. Nothing I have said is misleading. The programs provide food for everyone on a sliding scale. The poorest kids get free food, and they are the ones who statistically miss meals and do worse in school for it.

Public policy is that it is better to provide food to growing kids so they can grow up to be healthy taxpayers. You may disagree, but I see zero justification for providing food only to kids of the well-to-do.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    It should not be the school's responsibility to provide food, I think.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'm not understanding your point. Nothing I have said is misleading. The programs provide food for everyone on a sliding scale. The poorest kids get free food, and they are the ones who statistically miss meals and do worse in school for it.

Public policy is that it is better to provide food to growing kids so they can grow up to be healthy taxpayers. You may disagree, but I see zero justification for providing food only to kids of the well-to-do.
    You said it was for kids without food and now you're describing something else. You might see it as semantics, however, it is a big difference.

And finally, you try to set me up as some elitist that only thinks Rich kids should have food provided for them.

Dafuq?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast