Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Public School in Queens now Serves ONLY Vegetraian Food. page 3

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The reason they are serving breakfast is so that poor kids whose families don't have food for them can still start with breakfast, because kids who eat breakfast do better than those who don't. But what purpose would it serve to provide food only to kids of well-to-do families, who can certainly afford to provide their own?
    I hear what you're saying, but it also annoys me because I really don't think we should enable abusive behaviors like not feeding your children. And with food stamps, food banks and welfare, I don't think there's much excuse. Canada doesn't have a breakfast or lunch program and we somehow seem to survive.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but it also annoys me because I really don't think we should enable abusive behaviors like not feeding your children. And with food stamps, food banks and welfare, I don't think there's much excuse. Canada doesn't have a breakfast or lunch program and we somehow seem to survive.
    That's all good and fine, except not feeding children only punishes the children. Even if we accept that everyone on any kind of welfare is a low life scum (and I don't accept this premise), you're still punishing the children not the parents. A society may be judged by how it treats the weakest among them. Starving children because their parents are low lifes shows just how evolved we are (not).
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

happybunny is offline Member
    I don't like the fact that school provide food, but when I first read about this, I was upset. However, as I thought about it, I realized that these kids were probably going to be getting better food than what I got in public school. These are the "meats" I remember:

- Soggy fried chicken (flour coating, terrible quality meat, soaked in vegetable oil)
    - Soy/beef burgers (combo of soy and ground beef for cheapness)
    - Chicken patties (breading veggie oil)
    - Miscellaneous ground beef product for tacos and casseroles (soaked in veggie oil, msg, etc)

Of course, I would be somewhat concerned about the protein students would be getting (low-fat dairy, tofu, lentils???). But this has the potential (I'm being generous here) to not be that bad of a thing. As long as people can send food with their kids if they want, I don't feel the need to get too worked up.

As for not providing school lunch...taking away entitlements is pretty much impossible. Anything that people feel like they are getting for free, even if it is a terrible deal, is generally going to stay once it is implemented, and few politicians have the required fortitude to put up with complaints while people are moving up the learning curve. "Oh no, I don't have time to send a lunch with my kid!" Well, if they don't want their kid taken away, they will make sure he/she stays fed. People are capable of learning. I wouldn't start doing my hypothetical child's chores just because he refused to do them. I would make his life unpleasant enough that he would learn that he had better do his chores. It might take a while, but if a kid can learn that actions have consequences, so can a parent. For example, getting reported to CPS if their child is sent to school more than twice per month without food and being charged $20 for every meal the school had to provide for their child. As long as there are procedures for unforeseen consequences, emergencies, etc. I don't see why this would be unworkable.

Of course, it is rather heartless in the same way that teaching people in undeveloped countries how to grow their own food instead of shipping them "free" GMO corn and wheat is heartless. I feel like such a terrible person now.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I hear what you're saying, but it also annoys me because I really don't think we should enable abusive behaviors like not feeding your children. And with food stamps, food banks and welfare, I don't think there's much excuse.
    It really sucks to be the child of a drug addicted mom. I don't think Canada has the type of persistent poverty that we see in the US. Some of these parents, quite frankly, should not have children. They should be taken away. Plus there is a lot of abuse- parents sell food stamps for drug money. There is not much of a solution beyond aggressively rehoming the kids, but we don't have much stomach for that.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Using numbers from these two sources,

Food Stamp Fraud: Agriculture Department Taking New Steps To Combat Selling Benefit Cards
    EWG Farm Subsidy Database

and the assumption that the population of the US is approximately 311.5M

Food Stamp fraud is approximately $750M
    Farm Subsidies are approximately $240B

Therefore, Food Stamp fraud costs approximately $2.41/year/citizen.
    Farm Subsidies cost approximately $770.46/year/citizen.

Screaming about Food Stamp fraud is just what the PTB want you to do because even if you make $100k+ per year, you’re a crumb catcher to them and you’re closer to the average food stamp recipient than you are to the billionaires who run this country and pocket our taxes.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Step away from the thread, Sabine, before you burst something....

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Using numbers from these two sources,

Food Stamp Fraud: Agriculture Department Taking New Steps To Combat Selling Benefit Cards
    EWG Farm Subsidy Database

and the assumption that the population of the US is approximately 311.5M

Food Stamp fraud is approximately $750M
    Farm Subsidies are approximately $240B

Therefore, Food Stamp fraud costs approximately $2.41/year/citizen.
    Farm Subsidies cost approximately $770.46/year/citizen.

Screaming about Food Stamp fraud is just what the PTB want you to do because even if you make $100k+ per year, you’re a crumb catcher to them and you’re closer to the average food stamp recipient than you are to the billionaires who run this country and pocket our taxes.
    Playing the 99%er victim card I see
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Playing the 99%er victim card I see
    LoL, funny stuff. I've been living on my savings for years and haven't abused the "no asset qualification" portion of food stamps, even though I could. But really, there are a lot of people who think their proverbial shit don't stink when so many of them are about three months away from being in deep shit if they lost their jobs.

One schmuck wins the lottery and continues to take food stamps, and now the whole world thinks millionaires get food stamps. What actually happened was that a few years ago when a lot of people were losing their jobs, defaulting on their mortgages, etc., the cash limit for food stamps didn't work for people living in areas like SF, NY, Hawaii, etc. where rents can run in the thousands. Instead of coming up with a cash limit that would be logical, the bureaucrats decided to do away with it completely. Idiotboy wins the lottery and decides to take advantage. Now the perception is that millionaires get food stamps.

I'm guessing that the average "millionaire" wouldn't waste her/his time meeting with case workers, filling out the forms, etc., that are required to get that overwhelming windfall of $200/month. And yes, I'm aware you can apply online, but you still have to provide documentation. Millionaires don't really want to hang with the unwashed who frequent the food stamp offices.

I'm so not a victim. One time I got held up at gun point and I did feel very afraid and a bit victimized, but I got over it and was more wary when partying in that neighborhood. Still and all, the 1% in this country are pulling some disgusting cons. If seeing that for what it is makes me a victim in your eyes, so be it. But I don't feel it because I don't feel helpless or unable to change my situation if I want to do so.

B*tch-lite

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The fraud I was speaking of was not rich people getting food stamps, but poor mom's trading food stamps/cards for drugs. They used to try and sell us food stamps in college for $.75 on the dollar. Harder these days.

Anyhow, for a % of our population, kids don't get fed at home. We need to feed them at school. It's not the kids fault.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

momrn is offline Member
    Some fans of Rep. Stacey Campfield on here, I see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123