Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Public School in Queens now Serves ONLY Vegetraian Food. page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    It should not be the school's responsibility to provide food, I think.
    I won't argue with what you said, but feeding the kids is better than not doing it, as long as the parents can opt out.

Also, I read the article. I think that what they are doing is way better than what most schools have, and better than what I grew up eating at school.

While I disagree that being vegetarian is the healthiest route for humans, I'm not convinced that we need to eat meat at every meal, either. People around here fast pretty regularly, there are quite a few Catholics that will go without meat during Lent- Does every meal really need meat?

So long as they keep the soy products, "vegetable" oil, and wheat separate, I don't think I'd mind my kids eating veggies for a meal a day. I'm sure I can feed them enough meat at home.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 05-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    It could be a lot worse really. Who knows what they eat at home. In Australia we provide lunch for our kids or they can have a lunch order. Admittedly there are some unhealthy options in the canteen but they have a lot healthier options these days also. Well in my daughters public school anyway.
    Last edited by HelenLouise; 05-01-2013 at 08:52 PM.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I agree that they are trying to be more healthy. 10 years ago I remember them taking out the snack cart (sold candy, chips, etc.) and changing the vending machines from soda to milk/fruit juice/gatoraid. I was pissed!

Still, I don't think it's right to push a lifestyle on kids. Vegetarianism is a lifestyle, that not many parents would agree with. I wouldn't want my kids going to school and hearing that vegetarian is the only way to be healthy, that wheat is healthy, soy is healthy, meat is unhealthy, whatever. I would feel the same was as I would if I sent my kids to school and they came home with Bibles, or if my kids came home saying the school was forcing gender neutral bathrooms on them.

There are certain things that I think should be none of the school's concern. Lifestyle is one of them. Serve some damn hot dogs to the kids.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There are certain things that I think should be none of the school's concern. Lifestyle is one of them. Serve some damn hot dogs to the kids.
    Didn't you just say that the school shouldn't have any responsibility to provide food?

I get that the school should not be saying that vegetarian and soy products are the only way, but hotdogs would fix that? I'm not following your logic.

On the face of it, I really don't have any objections to the vegetarian lunches, as long as they steer away from the associated propaganda. I think that's probably where we could agree.

More than likely, though, the only other option is that they are going to get "nutrition" classes based on the "My Plate" concept, which is a bit less than effective as well. (Actually, I think they will get both the vegetarian and the myplate propaganda at the same time.) I get that you are trying to indoctrinate your kids in what you believe, but you're not going to get around all of this and still send them to public schools.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Didn't you just say that the school shouldn't have any responsibility to provide food?
    Yes.

I get that the school should not be saying that vegetarian and soy products are the only way, but hotdogs would fix that? I'm not following your logic.
    Sorry I confused you. If they are serving foods, then they need to serve a variety of food to cater to a variety of lifestyles/beliefs. Hot dogs are another source of cheap protein, like beans, but some kids like hot dogs more than beans. Some parents would never feed their kid beans, and would want them to have an option for protein while the school is force feeding them. If the school provides food for kids, then they need to cater to all the kids. They need to cater to the gluten intolerant kids just as much as they need to cater to the kids fasting for Ramadan, and not force food on them.

On the face of it, I really don't have any objections to the vegetarian lunches, as long as they steer away from the associated propaganda. I think that's probably where we could agree.
    Yes, I agree. Nothing wrong with vegetables, but this stuff they are serving is far from healthy. Tortillas are no more healthy than a bowl of ice cream. And both ice cream and tortillas are vegetarian.
    More than likely, though, the only other option is that they are going to get "nutrition" classes based on the "My Plate" concept, which is a bit less than effective as well. (Actually, I think they will get both the vegetarian and the myplate propaganda at the same time.) I get that you are trying to indoctrinate your kids in what you believe, but you're not going to get around all of this and still send them to public schools.
    I don't have the money to send kids to private school. If public schools were less shitty, people probably wouldn't feel the need to shell out thousands of dollars to send them to private school. I don't want to home school either, some people have careers, and I don't kid myself into thinking I can be a math teacher, social studies teacher, science teacher, all that jazz. Teachers go to school for years to learn how to teach a specific subject. I think it's cute when parents think they can teach better than teachers.

I'll send my kids to the free schools provided by the state, so they can learn math, science, whatever. I don't want them learning shabby nutrition and vegetarianism any more than I want them learning that God made the earth a couple thousand years ago.

I don't think food/nutrition is the school's responsibility any more than I think religion is. I'll pack my kid's lunches.
    Last edited by kathleen; 05-03-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you really care what your kid eats, send them with a sack lunch. From the article it sounds like the meals are an improvement over "nuggets". I think that any movement away from a nugget and fries based diet is a good thing. Too bad they eliminated quality protein, but its not like schools are serving quality protein anyway.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you really care what your kid eats, send them with a sack lunch. From the article it sounds like the meals are an improvement over "nuggets". I think that any movement away from a nugget and fries based diet is a good thing. Too bad they eliminated quality protein, but its not like schools are serving quality protein anyway.
    +1 If I had to guess, I imagine that since children can't vote, they're on the bottom of the govt handout food chain. First you have the military, then corporate welfare, then programs for special interests, and finally we help out poor children and disabled people.

Considering how open my eyes have become open since reading and following links here in these forums, I'm guessing that eggs and cheese for breakfast is better than the cereal a lot of kids get for breakfast, and the veggies at lunch seem a whole lot better than a pb&j sandwich or a packet of Lunchables.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    My kids bring a sack lunch every day, due to the high cost of buying the cafeteria food. They never bring a meat- usually it's a yogurt, piece of fruit and a butter/jam sandwich (my kids don't like pb or lunch meat). Not a horrible lunch but not great either. I'd actually be more willing to spend the money once or twice a week for a vegetarian menu, like the one that was posted-way better than the crap they serve at my kid's school
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    *~Sara~*

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

Sorry I confused you. If they are serving foods, then they need to serve a variety of food to cater to a variety of lifestyles/beliefs. Hot dogs are another source of cheap protein, like beans, but some kids like hot dogs more than beans. Some parents would never feed their kid beans, and would want them to have an option for protein while the school is force feeding them. If the school provides food for kids, then they need to cater to all the kids. They need to cater to the gluten intolerant kids just as much as they need to cater to the kids fasting for Ramadan, and not force food on them.

Yes, I agree. Nothing wrong with vegetables, but this stuff they are serving is far from healthy. Tortillas are no more healthy than a bowl of ice cream. And both ice cream and tortillas are vegetarian.

I don't have the money to send kids to private school. If public schools were less shitty, people probably wouldn't feel the need to shell out thousands of dollars to send them to private school. I don't want to home school either, some people have careers, and I don't kid myself into thinking I can be a math teacher, social studies teacher, science teacher, all that jazz. Teachers go to school for years to learn how to teach a specific subject. I think it's cute when parents think they can teach better than teachers.

I'll send my kids to the free schools provided by the state, so they can learn math, science, whatever. I don't want them learning shabby nutrition and vegetarianism any more than I want them learning that God made the earth a couple thousand years ago.

I don't think food/nutrition is the school's responsibility any more than I think religion is. I'll pack my kid's lunches.
    I was homeschooled all the way through from kindergarten to 12th grade, and my mom did just fine teaching us with her hs degree. My dad was a hs drop out and yet we also learned things from him too, go figure. My sisters and I all have college degrees, so we didn't turn out to badly, in spite of being homeschooled
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    *~Sara~*

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would expect a school run by such shit-for-brains to be located in a place called Flushing. Sadly, despite the name I suspect they won't be gotten rid of so easily.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast