Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coming across CW that makes you think WHAT!? page 3

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Haha, this is really too funny!

Anyway, these "health" magazines are a paradox to me: if they were truly effective, people would get quickly healthy from their pseudo-advice, which would put these mags out of business. The truth is, they are not at all OOB which can only mean that their advice is absolute crap and contrary to your health interests ...

janie is offline Senior Member
    AARP magazine also included articles by CW trained dieticians preaching the low fat high carb bs. I guess they want to hurry more of us old people out the door.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

becks83 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Exactly-I thought to myself, "Now, who would want them to tell readers to eat breakfast?" Right, probably Special K, who dominates half their advertising and makes all their money off telling women that eating their cereal every morning will magically make them lose weight...
    The Special K adverts make me crazily angry - I can't watch them! It feels like everything that is wrong with CW. Not only are they advocated stuffing sugar down your face for two thirds of the day in order to be thin, they also trick people with their serving sizes (like every other cereal out there does). It's pandering to the people who think low-calorie = healthy and sometimes I feel like there is no getting through to these folks, even when what they try repeatedly fails for them, they still keep going back to that same old weird tactic of self-deprivation.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by becks83 View Post
    The Special K adverts make me crazily angry - I can't watch them! It feels like everything that is wrong with CW. Not only are they advocated stuffing sugar down your face for two thirds of the day in order to be thin, they also trick people with their serving sizes (like every other cereal out there does). It's pandering to the people who think low-calorie = healthy and sometimes I feel like there is no getting through to these folks, even when what they try repeatedly fails for them, they still keep going back to that same old weird tactic of self-deprivation.
    That's my mother. The last third of her life she seems to have been on a dietary transition to eating almost entirely cereal and skim milk. Even when I was cooking for her, pots of meat and vegetables braised in healthy fat, she would nibble on supper and claim she couldn't eat any more, but in the 3 hours until bedtime she would eat bowls of cereal at least twice. Like, if only she could get even more fiber, that would suddenly fix everything.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Special K are making a new higher protein cereal - guess what kind of protein? Special KŪ Protein Cereal | Special KŪ Cereals

becks83 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's my mother. The last third of her life she seems to have been on a dietary transition to eating almost entirely cereal and skim milk. Even when I was cooking for her, pots of meat and vegetables braised in healthy fat, she would nibble on supper and claim she couldn't eat any more, but in the 3 hours until bedtime she would eat bowls of cereal at least twice. Like, if only she could get even more fiber, that would suddenly fix everything.
    I'm wary of preaching my way of eating to anyone but I really struggle to button my lip as I'm surrounded by women like this at work. They are the type that spend a week nibbling Special K bars, Snack-a-Jacks and Muller Light yoghurts with the odd celery stick thrown in and then moan all day that they're hungry, need chocolate, need chips. Once you re-learn everything in the way that we do here, you look back at what you used to believe to be true and wonder why you never questioned it earlier! Probably because of all the marketing scams out there designed to keep people fat, sugar-addicted and ill....

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I have been a type two diabetic for eight years and when I was diagnosed I didn't have health insurance. My doc told me to look up dietary information on the internet-yeah that doc wasn't much use. I'm also a child, granchild, and great grandchild of diabetics so I grew up around it all my life. Which means I pretty much knew what a diabetic diet was from the get go. I ended up with primal in a roundabout way. I sat down and thought about it and came to the conclusion that if carbs make my blood sugar go up, why don't I eat fewer carbs than the diabetic diet recommends until I can find a balance? That pointed me in the direction of Atkins which felt too extreme from the get go. I grew up eating out of a veggie garden and orchards and have always had the feeling that if I can't grow it or make it myself I probably shouldn't be eating it. I found primal on an internet search and it completely made sense.

Edit: While I got some wicked carb flu starting primal, my post prandial blood sugars dropped like a rock and the fungal skin crud that I had had since before my diagnosis disappeared completely in about three weeks. It took a bit longer, about a month, for my AM blood sugars to go down.
    Last edited by Ingvildr; 05-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.

I'm wary of preaching my way of eating to anyone but I really struggle to button my lip as I'm surrounded by women like this at work. They are the type that spend a week nibbling Special K bars, Snack-a-Jacks and Muller Light yoghurts with the odd celery stick thrown in and then moan all day that they're hungry, need chocolate, need chips. Once you re-learn everything in the way that we do here, you look back at what you used to believe to be true and wonder why you never questioned it earlier! Probably because of all the marketing scams out there designed to keep people fat, sugar-addicted and ill....
    To my knowledge, my mother has been a dietary extremist all her life. When I was a kid she was what used to be called a "health food fanatic". On the idea that all stated nutrition requirements were actually skewed very low to convince people to eat more junk and less real food, we consumed massive amounts of meat. We took handfuls of vitamins and other pills each day. We ate loads of food substitutes, similar to what is now food bars or meal replacement bars, but much nastier. My father used to take us out for hot dogs and ice cream occasionally. Only after I went away to college did she fixate on low fat and finally fiber as the twin dietary panaceas.

It is because of my mother's attitude toward food that I have my whole adult life avoided anything that isn't food, or "food" that is eaten not for its eating enjoyment, but rather for its medicinal value. No, I'm not going to give it points because she read in a magazine someplace that it's a superfood. (The concept of superfoods is another pet peeve of mine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ingvildr View Post
    I ended up with primal in a roundabout way. I sat down and thought about it and came to the conclusion that if carbs make my blood sugar go up, why don't I eat fewer carbs than the diabetic diet recommends until I can find a balance?
    I have read more than once about doctors beginning to see the light after being schooled by their patients' n=1 blood glucose experiments.

purple579 is offline Member
    That's my roommate. She's got the plethora of products, including the "protein drinks", which have a longer ingredient list than most people's grocery lists, and since when is 10g "high protein"? I can't really talk too much because I used to be fooled by products like Kashi, Luna bars, etc. I just didn't really question why something with 30 ingredients would be healthier than something with one! I just want to scream, "IF YOU WANT PROTEIN, EAT SOME EGGS!" It makes me sad....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123